Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Re: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Who cares dude?
    I know, right?

Just add it to the pile.

If you're a team like UC, why even bother? Best they can get is the Red Lobster Bowl, so what's the point?

Even for the big dogs... Why even play a full regular season? Just play 4 games. Whoever the top 2 SEC teams get two playoff slots, tOSU gets one automatically of course, and leave the last slot for the other big market teams to fight over. It'll be like printing money.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

Chip R (12-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Let's see if the NCAA lets LSU off the hook by accepting their bowl ban for this year as the only postseason punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I know, right?

Just add it to the pile.

If you're a team like UC, why even bother? Best they can get is the Red Lobster Bowl, so what's the point?

Even for the big dogs... Why even play a full regular season? Just play 4 games. Whoever the top 2 SEC teams get two playoff slots, tOSU gets one automatically of course, and leave the last slot for the other big market teams to fight over. It'll be like printing money.
    UC should join a P5 conference.

It’s pretty simple. They choose to play in a weak conference.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Why is Northwestern automatically in the Championship game? If they lose to Illinois, their record will be 5-2 in conference. If Iowa downs Wisconsin, their league record will be 6-2. I know Northwestern beat Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Why is Northwestern automatically in the Championship game? If they lose to Illinois, their record will be 5-2 in conference. If Iowa downs Wisconsin, their league record will be 6-2. I know Northwestern beat Iowa.
    Tie breaker is number of losses, not number of wins. Then head to head.

8. Likes:

texasdave (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

I'm not sure it's entirely up to UC, but yes they need to get into a P5 conference. Same with UCF, Boise St, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm not sure it's entirely up to UC, but yes they need to get into a P5 conference. Same with UCF, Boise St, etc.
    I believe in the last 10-15 years, UC has tried hard to get into a P5 conference. They got pretty close to being in the Big 12. I think the Big 12 was looking to expand in 2016 and UC, BYU, and Houston were amongst the candidates. But that all fell through IIRC.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Chip R (12-11-2020)

Yes, UC has CHOSEN to play in a weak football conference in the same way that I CHOSE not to play Major League Baseball.

13. Likes:

Chip R (12-11-2020)

This must be sarcasm, right? It's not exactly an opt-in system. Although with athletic departments like Wake Forest, Kansas, Syracuse, Illinois, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Washington State and others pretending to run a football program, it's easy to think it's not based on merit.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Promotion and Relegation in College Football would be AMAZING

I'd also point out that Iowa State, whose resume was apparently fitting enough to jump UC in the CFP rankings this week, got taken to the woodshed by Louisiana-Lafayette earlier this season. Outside of maybe 10-15 programs the notion of P5 superiority is a farce.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Promotion and relegation is impossible, but if 2020 has taught us anything it's that flexible scheduling IS possible. You could certainly set up a system with about the first half (or even first 9 games) of the season scheduled and the last portion of the schedule devoted to pitting top teams against each other to decide who should be in the playoffs (while matching everyone else up in games that should be competitive based on performance so far during the season). I'm sure it would never happen, but it would be a 100x more interesting than what we do now.

If UC was put up against Texas A&M next weekend as a lead-in to the SEC Championship Game, I'd certainly watch.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-10-2020),Revering4Blue (12-10-2020),wolfboy (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Promotion and relegation is impossible, but if 2020 has taught us anything it's that flexible scheduling IS possible. You could certainly set up a system with about the first half (or even first 9 games) of the season scheduled and the last portion of the schedule devoted to pitting top teams against each other to decide who should be in the playoffs (while matching everyone else up in games that should be competitive based on performance so far during the season). I'm sure it would never happen, but it would be a 100x more interesting than what we do now.
    It's not impossible. It's unlikely, but it's not impossible. You have four 16 Team A Conferences and they are all paired up with four 16 team B Conferences.

Scheduling should just be like the Big 10/ACC thing in basketball. You rotate the pairings and who you play is determined by how you finished in the conference the year before.

It's not logistically impossible. It's just impossible based on what conferences represent/TV contracts/etc. Scheduling flex would be a lot easier to achieve and be more realistic. Will still never happen.

With the championship games on December 19 and the semifinals slated for January 1 (and I assume pairings announced December 20), that doesn't seem like enough time to have an effective CFP bubble. So what happens when (and I think it's probably when and not if) one of the participants can't play due to COVID? CFP forfeit? Do teams 5, 6 and 7 stay ready to jump in as alternates? Seems like a real chance for things to get even weirder.

Turn Off Ads?