Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Re: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Is South Carolina really a better job then Louisville? sure the talent base is better but there is an 800-pound gorilla in state to deal with.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Is South Carolina really a better job then Louisville? sure the talent base is better but there is an 800-pound gorilla in state to deal with.
    I don’t know if Satterfield is serious or if he is trying to leverage Louisville for a raise. Good luck with the year they have had.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

No college coach should get a raise this year.

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-25-2020)

that was my thoughts.....Louisville can get to the playoffs much easier than South Carolina can in my opinion. I am not saying this year...just at some point Clemson will have a down year.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    No college coach should get a raise this year.
    the world has not quit turning....I am sure big programs that end up needing a coach will have an interest in guys like Tom Allen, Luke Fickell and Kalani Sitake. Then their teams will be in a position to try to keep them if they are interested....hence a raise becomes necessary.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

SEC is becoming a "girls" league?

Vanderbilt soccer's Sarah Fuller 'an option' to kick for football team, coach says

Guessing the odds in June that a female would play in a SEC football game in 2020 were not high.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Will Vandy go ahead and fire Derrick Mason this year, or do they not really care enough about football to be bothered to do that?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I would say every job in the SEC, minus Vandy and Mizzou, is better than Louisville.

I'm not really sure why you'd think Kentucky is a better job than Louisville. To add a bit of context to that, in my lifetime I've watched Louisville win a Fiesta Bowl, an Orange Bowl and a Sugar Bowl with three different coaches. And if you decide you want to get a raise, the next job those three coaches got were Oklahoma, Texas and the Atlanta Falcons.

Looks like Saban has Covid for real this time.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 11-25-2020 at 11:57 AM.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I'm not really sure why you'd think Kentucky is a better job than Louisville. To add a bit of context to that, in my lifetime I've watched Louisville win a Fiesta Bowl, an Orange Bowl and a Sugar Bowl with three different coaches. And if you decide you want to get a raise, the next job those three coaches got were Oklahoma, Texas and the Atlanta Falcons.

How many of those were while the Cards were in the ACC?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    How many of those were while the Cards were in the ACC?
    So being in the ACC makes Louisville a worse job than it used to be? I don't think that's right, but it's an interesting thought. Surely Clemson won't be like this forever, but FSU clearly won't be like this forever, either. Obviously Louisville is thrilled to be included in the ACC given the other choice was the AAC, but it IS some godawful boring football most weekends. If the Big East was going to stay together and remain a BCS or whatever they call it now auto-qualifier and stay in the club, that definitely would have been preferable for Louisville to joining the ACC (at least for football and probably basketball, too; baseball is a different story, but most don't care that much about that).

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Oklahoma @ WVU got slotted into the ABC primetime game this weekend @ 7:30PM ET. Oklahoma opened up as a 10.5 point favorite, and now the line is up to 11 and 11.5 Points as books list it. Honestly, I assumed it would be at least 2 touchdowns the way Oklahoma beat Oklahoma State this weekend. I think if WVU plays at their best, they have a realistic shot at winning this game. Oklahoma has the #1 Offense in the Big12 as it relates to points per game and yards per game....while WVU has the #1 Defense in the Big12 as it relates to points per game and yards per game. Oklahoma is #2 in the Big12 in Defensive yards allowed per game, while WVU is #2 in the Big12 in Offensive yards per game.

The biggest difference is net points....Oklahoma scores an average of 45.5 PPG and only gives up an average of 23 PPG for a net of 22.5 PPG, while WVU only scores an average of 29.4 PPG and gives up 17.8 PPG for a smaller net of 11.6 PPG. Clearly the game will come down to WVU keeping them below their average PPG, while also putting a few more points on the board than normal. Limiting their scoring will come down to their ability to pass the ball...they average 344 YPG in the air, while WVU only gives up 161 YPG in the air.

WVU is 5-0 @ Home and Oklahoma is 2-1 on the Road (wins @ TCU and Texas Tech). This is WVU's chance to get their first signature win in the Neal Brown era.
    This one just got postponed.

College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Right now I would take Kentucky. And that’s just in the last three years. Petrino losing the team and Lamar Jackson hiding the deficiencies all came to light and Louisville hasn’t been the same since.

I think Louisville going to the ACC has had the same
    effect that WVU had in going to the Big 12. The difference in Louisville’s move was that it was more beneficial for basketball. I don’t know if Florida State will ever rebound but Clemson is the 800 lb gorilla of the conference and to a lesser extent Notre Dame regardless of independent status. I made the WVU comparison because both schools hailed from the Big East, went to different conferences, and are now shells of their former selves at least in football.

Where Kentucky has taken over in being a better job right now is recruiting. They are still riding momentum from the 2018 team which was recruited mostly out of Ohio by Vince Marrow. Stoops had Marrow put more emphasis on locking down in state products and Kentucky has made inroads in Louisville as well as the rest of the commonwealth. They’ve upgraded Commonwealth Stadium (refuse to call it the other name) improved the practice facilities and have spent more money on football and it has paid off for the most part.

In our lifetimes yes I would agree Louisville is the better program. I think Kentucky is better right now but will it stay that way? Time will tell.

Edit: on a side note there’s a bowl game possible where Kentucky and Louisville could play each other same day and same time as the basketball game:

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...r-believes-so/

The other popular matchup for UK is WVU in the Liberty Bowl.
    Last edited by WVRed; 11-25-2020 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    This one just got postponed.
    yeah...not happy. I have said from day 1 that the team should have to forfeit....if it is both teams, then there should be a no contest for each and move on. We do not have time this season to be making up games....and I think we all kind of accepted this season may not be "fair". I say that knowing a forfeit win does nothing for WVU. Losing this game on the field does not hurt WVU and a win could be a big boost to the program....so a forfeit would suck for WVU also. I do think the delay is more negative for WVU....we have been preparing for them for 2 weeks because we are coming off a bye week. Now we will be off the field for 2 weeks, and will have to face them coming off a tough game against Iowa State on the road, while they will be coming off a light home game against Baylor. Finally, there is a good chance we will lose the ABC primetime slot on national television which our program likely needs more than they need it. Oh well, 2020.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

OSU players test positive. While the game is still scheduled, OSU said they'd make an announcement today as to the status of the Illinois game. I say they end up cancelling.

https://www.10tv.com/article/sports/...d-365a72ca9919
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?