Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

Barry Larkin is getting better as an announcer, but I’d still like to see what Kurt Stillwell could do.

Next time, Castellanos will know not to shove his neck into Molina’s hands.

I think it’s great that Castellanos is becoming known for something other as there’s a drive into deep left field ...

There are no metrics yet for how much bad defense crushes the spirit.

It sure feels good to be playing meaningful games in April.

Any nickname for Jonathan India is destined to be less interesting than he is.

Why do only pitchers help their own cause? Why don’t any of the others have a cause?

There should be a special section for the woo-ers, behind the Toyota truck.

What if the shift renders not only BABIP obsolete, but also exit velocity?

Is GABP the only professional ballpark where someone could conceivably hit a baseball into another state?

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-06-2021),757690 (04-06-2021),Bob Sheed (04-06-2021),Boss-Hog (04-06-2021),bounty37h (04-07-2021),Bourgeois Zee (04-06-2021),CarolinaRedleg (04-06-2021),cr_redsfan (04-06-2021),cumberlandreds (04-07-2021),Edd Roush (04-06-2021),HokieRed (04-06-2021),JarrodOnVinyl (04-06-2021),Kc61 (04-06-2021),M2 (04-06-2021),mth123 (04-06-2021),NebraskaRed (04-06-2021),ochoa30 (04-06-2021),Redsland (04-06-2021),RedsManRick (04-06-2021),redsmetz (04-06-2021),RFS62 (04-06-2021),Ron Madden (04-06-2021),Sabo Fan (04-07-2021),SoTxRedsFan (04-06-2021),UKFlounder (04-06-2021),wally post (04-06-2021),WrongVerb (04-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random Thoughts

Interesting thoughts! Too much time on your hands.lol

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Barry Larkin is getting better as an announcer, but I’d still like to see what Kurt Stillwell could do.

Next time, Castellanos will know not to shove his neck into Molina’s hands.

I think it’s great that Castellanos is becoming known for something other as there’s a drive into deep left field ...

There are no metrics yet for how much bad defense crushes the spirit.

Any nickname for Jonathan India is destined to be less interesting than he is.

Why do only pitchers help their own cause? Why don’t any of the others have a cause?

There should be a special section for the woo-ers, behind the Toyota truck.

What if the shift renders not only BABIP obsolete, but also exit velocity?

Is GABP the only professional ballpark where someone could conceivably hit a baseball into another state?
    Excellent work as always. I only see one correction though. There should be a special section for the woo-ers, UNDER the Toyota truck!
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

6. Likes:

bounty37h (04-07-2021),forfreelin04 (04-07-2021),goldglover9 (04-06-2021)

Loved these two

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post

I still want to see what Kurt Stillwell can do is a classic. That was a huge debate when those two were coming up. I had friends that refused to acknowledge that Larkin was the right choice until he won his MVP award.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

cr_redsfan (04-06-2021),Old school 1983 (04-06-2021),sdwagers (04-06-2021)

I think that GABP is the only ballpark which is on a state line, in this case the Ohio River.

The only others that I can think of that are near state lines are Nationals Park, Kauffman Stadium in KC and Busch Stadium. Busch is the closest, but in the case of the Illinois Missouri state line, it's in the middle of the Mississippi, whereas Kentucky claims all of the Ohio River as confirmed by the Supreme Court in 1980 (relying on an earlier decision from our nation's first Chief Justice, John Marshall.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    whereas Kentucky claims all of the Ohio River as confirmed by the Supreme Court in 1980 (relying on an earlier decision from our nation's first Chief Justice, John Marshall.
    Yep.

Supreme Court: The ENTIRE river is Kentucky's.
    Kentucky: Yay!!!!! In your face, Ohio.
    Engineers: That means they are your bridges too, and it's time to fix the big one.
    Kentucky: What river?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

mth123 (04-06-2021),paintmered (04-06-2021),podgejeff_ (04-06-2021),redsmetz (04-06-2021)

If a batter *really* got a hold of one in Comerica Park they could theoretically hit a ball into a different country since home plate faces towards the Detroit River...

14. Likes:

redsmetz (04-06-2021)

Can we combine the woo-ers and the out-of-state thing? They can stay south of the state line?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I still want to see what Kurt Stillwell can do is a classic. That was a huge debate when those two were coming up. I had friends that refused to acknowledge that Larkin was the right choice until he won his MVP award.
    That is a special kind of stubborn on their part. Before Barry's MVP season he was a six-time All-Star, a five-time Silver Slugger, a World Series winner, a Gold Glove winner, and he had a .296/.360/.431 career line. And Stillwell was back in the minors at that point (with the Reds) after washing out with three different teams.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That is a special kind of stubborn on their part. Before Barry's MVP season he was a six-time All-Star, a five-time Silver Slugger, a World Series winner, a Gold Glove winner, and he had a .296/.360/.431 career line. And Stillwell was back in the minors at that point (with the Reds) after washing out with three different teams.
    I agree. These were older guys who still remember guys like Dal Maxville as what a SS should look like. I kept getting the "but Stillwell is so smooth out there" line. Stillwell was smooth. I wouldn't mind a guy like him right now on the bench instead of Farmer or Blandino, but it was lunacy. For the Record, the guy took my advice and bought several Larkin Baseball Cards when he was a rookie (of course I didn't). I lost touch and have no idea if he cashed in or not.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stillwell had that great nickname of "Opie" (think Ron Howard on Andy Griffith)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Can we combine the woo-ers and the out-of-state thing? They can stay south of the state line?
    Nope. The woo-ers are clearly Buckeyes.

Sincerely,
    Kentucky

P.S. The river is ours.

I agree. These were older guys who still remember guys like Dal Maxville as what a SS should look like. I kept getting the "but Stillwell is so smooth out there" line. Stillwell was smooth. I wouldn't mind a guy like him right now on the bench instead of Farmer or Blandino, but it was lunacy. For the Record, the guy took my advice and bought several Larkin Baseball Cards when he was a rookie (of course I didn't). I lost touch and have no idea if he cashed in or not.
    One of the things I never understood was the undeserved credit Stillwell got for being a slick fielder, when he was error-prone and sloppy. He had a .940 fielding % at SS when he was on the Reds.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Yep.

Supreme Court: The ENTIRE river is Kentucky's.
    Kentucky: Yay!!!!! In your face, Ohio.
    Engineers: That means they are your bridges too, and it's time to fix the big one.
    Kentucky: What river?
    So if Kentucky said "Yay!!!! In your face, Ohio," I guess that means the state of Kentucky should get a two game suspension?
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

Turn Off Ads?