Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 draft

Re: Rule 5 draft

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    That still leaves a number of slots available.
    I suspect Krall is going to offer an absolute ton of 40-man spots to depth pieces as the off-season wears on, in the hopes of acquiring some serious bullpen help at the AAA level.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (11-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

maybe payton or colon or jankowski they can make a big beta

I’ll take a long shot wild guess that Reds protect Alf Rod this year.

Reason - Garcia needs consistent minor league playing time. Does not need to sit on Reds bench. If there’s an emergency and Reds need to add a shortstop, Alf Rod is usable, at least for defense. Reds are thin at the position.

Answer is that nobody’s going to take Alf in Rule 5 draft anyway. But Reds have roster room this year, so no harm using a spot for protection.

Long shot, I know, but I’ll go out on the limb.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-19-2020 at 12:12 PM.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (11-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’ll take a long shot wild guess that Reds protect Alf Rod this year. They didn’t last year.

Reason - Garcia needs consistent minor league playing time. Does not need to sit on Reds bench. If there’s an emergency and Reds need to add a shortstop, Alf Rod is usable, at least for defense. Reds are thin at the position.

Answer is that nobody’s going to take Alf in Rule 5 draft anyway. But Reds have roster room this year, so no harm using a spot for him.

Long shot, I know, but I’ll go out on the limb.
    Depending on their off-season plans, I suspect Rodriguez is the fourth or fifth option on the 40-man roster, should he be protected.

1. Free agent SS (yet to be acquired)
    2. Garcia (who profiles as a "SS of the future")
    3. Farmer (who played and played well at the position last year)
    4. Blandino (why they protected ahead of Rodriguez last year)

That doesn't sound like someone who needs to be protected.

Yea, the Reds really have very little talent that needs protected.
    Plenty of open slots.
    Because of that, I see no harm in protecting Alf and/or other really marginal guys.
    I mean, why not? They can always be cut loose later.
    Sure, I doubt the Reds lose anyone in Rule V , but if you have so many open slots, might as well protect a few longshots, since
    it doesn't hurt.
    In the big picture though, losing anyone on the original list is no big deal, I'm not going to criticize the Reds for who they protect this year, there's really nothing controversial about it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

Kc61 (11-19-2020)

do you think there is room for davidson

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Depending on their off-season plans, I suspect Rodriguez is the fourth or fifth option on the 40-man roster, should he be protected.

1. Free agent SS (yet to be acquired)
    2. Garcia (who profiles as a "SS of the future")
    3. Farmer (who played and played well at the position last year)
    4. Blandino (why they protected ahead of Rodriguez last year)

That doesn't sound like someone who needs to be protected.
    The issue is backup. FA and Farmer can’t back up themselves. Garcia shouldn’t be Reds’ backup on bench. Blandino isn’t really a shortstop and I’d be surprised if he’s in the plan after not making team last year.

Pretty much the reason why protecting Alf is possible. Even if they don’t protect him, I’d guess he sees time with Reds next season - unless Reds add shortstop depth this season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-19-2020 at 05:19 PM.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The issue is backup. FA and Farmer can’t back up themselves. Garcia shouldn’t be Reds’ backup on bench. Blandino isn’t really a shortstop and I’d be surprised if he’s in the plan after not making team last year.

Pretty much the reason why protecting Alf is possible. Even if they don’t protect him, I’d guess he sees a little time with Reds next season unless Reds add more shortstop depth.
    Between Blandino and Alf Rod I'd rather have Blandino on my team.

14. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-20-2020),HokieRed (11-19-2020),M2 (11-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    wow that is an earth shattering move that changes the balance of power
    You do not have to participate in this thread. Some of us find the rule 5 draft interesting.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Danny Serafini (11-20-2020),HokieRed (11-19-2020),Ron Madden (11-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    wow that is an earth shattering move that changes the balance of power
    Your 5th spam post of this thread. Just stay away from topics that don't measure up to your "standards".
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

18. Likes:

Danny Serafini (11-20-2020),HokieRed (11-19-2020),Old school 1983 (11-21-2020),REDREAD (11-23-2020),Ron Madden (11-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Between Blandino and Alf Rod I'd rather have Blandino on my team.
    I might also if I needed a second baseman. Or a DH.

But as a backup shortstop - the specific issue here - I might well take Alf Rod. Particularly is the team is hitting and the move is primarily for defensive purposes.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (11-23-2020)

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Farmer, Blandino and Alf Rod. With Garcia likely in AAA, I don't really see the point in Alf Rod. Just use Farmer as the super utility. But I'd be more than fine if they moved on from Farmer, he hasn't contributed much and sometimes you have to churn those types.

I've always liked Blandino but I don't feel like the Reds consider him a SS; could be they don't consider him an MLB player. It's hard to say. But if they think Blandino can adequately backup SS I think he deserves a shot and the other two they can move on from.
    Last edited by Mitri; 11-19-2020 at 09:55 PM.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-19-2020)

I actually only see us protecting O'Brien, Guterrez, and Solomon

I wonder if there's a chance Finnegan gets added? We never got a chance to see him in 2020 but Reds did late in the year at Prasco.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I wonder if there's a chance Finnegan gets added? We never got a chance to see him in 2020 but Reds did late in the year at Prasco.
    We're flying so blind right now in terms of development and minor league prospects. We just can't know what happened in order to make an educated guess. It's that way across the entirety of the minor leagues. Tyler Stephenson obviously looked prepared at Prasco. Garcia did too.

But we have little clue (beyond the comments of Red officials, to whom everyone looked great!) what happened and who might be ready.

Turn Off Ads?