Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 draft

Re: Rule 5 draft

What intrigued me the most was the addition of Jared Solomon to the 40 man. I like Solomon so I was glad to see it, but I thought he seemed like an extremely long shot for any acquiring team and therefore safe. That the FO thought him in need of protection is quite interesting IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What intrigued me the most was the addition of Jared Solomon to the 40 man. I like Solomon so I was glad to see it, but I thought he seemed like an extremely long shot for any acquiring team and therefore safe. That the FO thought him in need of protection is quite interesting IMO.
    Same here. I thought the chances of protecting Friedl were higher. It could be that carrying someone in the pen is easier and the scarcity of available pitching is greater.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Same here. I thought the chances of protecting Friedl were higher. It could be that carrying someone in the pen is easier and the scarcity of available pitching is greater.
    I suspect Krall is hedging his bets on available bullpen arms. He knows he needs options, and Solomon (and company) could be useful, at least in short bursts.

I never thought there was a chance of Friedl being protected. He passed through Rule 5 last year, and didn't play this year. I'm hoping Solomon is this year's Antone. A guy who has taken all the new spin mechanics to heart and taken things to next level. I don't know that he is. I'm hoping. I hope Gutierrez surprises me, Not expecting anything from him.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I never thought there was a chance of Friedl being protected. He passed through Rule 5 last year, and didn't play this year. I'm hoping Solomon is this year's Antone. A guy who has taken all the new spin mechanics to heart and taken things to next level. I don't know that he is. I'm hoping. I hope Gutierrez surprises me, Not expecting anything from him.
    Two things:

First, TJ Friedl did play this year. He was at Prasco. Other teams had access to video and his Trackman data from all of the stuff they were doing there.

Second: Solomon isn't going to be this year's Antone - at least not next year. He had TJ and is going to miss 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I might also if I needed a second baseman. Or a DH.

But as a backup shortstop - the specific issue here - I might well take Alf Rod. Particularly is the team is hitting and the move is primarily for defensive purposes.
    I agree. If the team is forced to call up a SS with a good glove (not Blandino), they might
    as well call up Alf and let Garcia continue to develop in the minors.
    I am assuming there will be minor leagues in 2021.
    Last year, it made sense to let Garcia play at the big league level since there wasn't real
    minor league games going on.. Give him a taste of the big leagues, show him what he needs to work on.
    Garcia has a chance for his bat to develop. Alf, probably not.
    So if the Reds need to have an out machine as the backup SS, makes sense for Alf to be that guy if no one is signed.
    I am not saying Alf is great, he isn't.. I hope a backup SS is acquired this winter, but what KC is saying makes sense.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Your 5th spam post of this thread. Just stay away from topics that don't measure up to your "standards".
    I strongly recommend putting Bruce B on ignore.
    He's one of only two (active) people on my ignore list. Both are spammers.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Two things:

First, TJ Friedl did play this year. He was at Prasco. Other teams had access to video and his Trackman data from all of the stuff they were doing there.

Second: Solomon isn't going to be this year's Antone - at least not next year. He had TJ and is going to miss 2021.
    When did Solomon have the surgery? On your site, you mentioned that he looked good in instructs in September. Given the surgery, would that have permitted a would be rule 5 taker to keep him on the 60 Day IL all season?

The Solomon protection was definitely a surprise for me. The news of his surgery coming to light is probably a big factor. We've seen teams draft players with the idea of stashing them on the DL/IL time and time again. I doubt anyone sees him as a future ace, but if you can draft him in the Rule 5 and not dedicate a 40-man roster spot for the majority of the time, it's probably worth the risk to stash him as a future middle reliever or whatever they're hoping he'll become. It's anyone's guess what kind of progress he showed this year, but it's clear that the Reds see at least a little something. It costs them hardly anything to protect him, and like I said, you can keep him on the IL without costing a roster spot, so why not? If he misses nearly all of 2021 to injury, you don't even have to use an option on him. It just doesn't really hurt them to protect him, but it could hurt them not to.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    When did Solomon have the surgery? On your site, you mentioned that he looked good in instructs in September. Given the surgery, would that have permitted a would be rule 5 taker to keep him on the 60 Day IL all season?
    A few weeks ago.

Kinsm can probably answer this. Are both options available for Reds? Option 1; Put him on 60 Day DL all season. Good for Solomon cause he gets major league money and service time. and gives Reds an extra roster slot. Option 2; Option him. Saves salary and service time. But takes up 40 man roster slot.

So, KInsm... are both options available? (I think they are)

Kinsm can probably answer this. Are both options available for Reds? Option 1; Put him on 60 Day DL all season. Good for Solomon cause he gets major league money and service time. and gives Reds an extra roster slot. Option 2; Option him. Saves salary and service time. But takes up 40 man roster slot.

There's no doubt that Kinsm knows more than me about these things. But iIrc, in order to be placed on the 60-day IL, you must first be on the 26-man roster. So yes, he will be paid a Major League salary and accrue Major League service time while on the 60-day IL during his recovery. Also, an option while not be used during his recovery. However, a team is not allowed to option a player who qualifies for the IL. So to answer your question, the first option is the only option.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 11-25-2020 at 09:53 PM.

I thought there was a way to option an injured player.

I thought there was a way to option an injured player.
    You can put them on rehab assignments to the minors, but they're not actually optioned until they come back from the IL.

Solomon may be optioned while in Spring Training as long as it's prior to the 15th day to the start of the season. After that date, and he'd have to be placed on an MLB disabled list.

It's a special circumstance given to players on 40 man rosters who have less than 3 years of mlb service, had 0 days of service the season prior, and weren't drafted via Rule 5.

He'd then be put on a minor league injured list and make the pro-rated major league minimum of a first time 40 man roster player on optional assignment for every day on assignment; which will be 46,600$ in 2021 (assuming the minor league season is actually played).

If he's called up, he'll make the pro-rated major league minimum of a first time 40 man roster player for every day with the big league squad or DL; which will be 570,500$ in 2021 (assuming the major league season is actually played).

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-26-2020)

Turn Off Ads?