Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 draft

Re: Rule 5 draft

They may not pick anyone this year, who knows?
    Whoever they take has to stay on the major league roster all season.
    I really doubt they'll pick a relief pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    They may not pick anyone this year, who knows?
    That's the best case scenario, IMO. That would mean they're looking to fill out the roster via other means.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

HokieRed (12-10-2020),Ron Madden (12-09-2020)

Whoever they pick, we know we can look forward to the traditional "Well, print the World Series tickets" snark from at least one poster...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-10-2020),Ron Madden (12-09-2020),Tom Servo (12-09-2020),Z-Fly (12-11-2020)

The bullpen is the best place to stash a rule 5 guy!! He can be used in low leverage situations and mop up duty. It’s a good spot for a live arm to get 20-30 innings in a normal season.

8. Likes:

Bill (12-10-2020),Gallen5862 (12-09-2020),JaxRed (12-10-2020),mth123 (12-10-2020),REDREAD (12-10-2020),Revering4Blue (12-10-2020)

Kyle Boddy @drivelinebases
    The Rule 5 Draft is a true test of weird baseball love, down through the minor leagues.

Always been a favorite of mine. Tomorrow’s the big day! Be sure to follow @jjcoop36, who is the only man I know who loves R5 + Indy ball more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    The bullpen is the best place to stash a rule 5 guy!! He can be used in low leverage situations and mop up duty. It’s a good spot for a live arm to get 20-30 innings in a normal season.
    Agreed. I will even go farther and say that the Reds have enough openings on their roster to take a rule V guy if they really like someone. A position player could be a bench guy. I mean, we have had bench guys like Ervin, Janowski, Shogo, etc.. We've
    carried bad bench guys who have little hope of improving or are on the decline of their career (I'm talking about the last 30 years, not just recently).. If there's a kid in rule V that they think could be a decent major league player some day, by all means, take him and carry him all year.. Now, it's entirely possible that by the time the Reds pick, there's no one worth taking left. Also possible the first pick is not a guy worth picking. Not saying the Reds have to do it, but they definitely have the roster space to carry someone if they want to. Is there really that much difference in carrying a rule V guy vs carrying Garcia last year (Who was incredibly overmatched at the plate, was just here for defense).

And if somehow, the Reds load up the roster before the season starts, I think they are only out 25k.. or at least that's how the rules used to be.. 50k to claim, then if you didn't want to keep the guy on the roster, you had to offer him back for 25k, so net
    loss of only 25k. Prices may have gone up, but it's not a big money investment if he's cut loose.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

Bill (12-10-2020),Revering4Blue (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I don't know, this may have been true in the past but baseball has changed to the point teams don't use bullpens like they used to do. I'll just agree to disagree here.

13. Likes:

HokieRed (12-10-2020)

I'm with Schroomy on this one. I'd like them to take a pitcher and a outfielder. There are scads of opportunities for a guy to eat innings in games that are already decided.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

15. Likes:

mth123 (12-10-2020),REDREAD (12-10-2020),Revering4Blue (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm with Schroomy on this one. I'd like them to take a pitcher and a outfielder. There are scads of opportunities for a guy to eat innings in games that are already decided.
    Agreed. The 13 man pitching staff has at least 4 openings and that assumes No Way Ramirez makes the team and the other eight are healthy. Assuming Lorenzen is in the rotation, the current bullpen is Sims, Garrett, Antone, Ramirez, ?, ?, ?, ?. The Reds need cheap bodies at this point. The current group of suspects - Jeff Hoffman, Sal Romano, Jose Deleon, Ryan Hendrix .. is neither young nor established. Plenty of room for a rule 5 guy, especially a lefty.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2020),Revering4Blue (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Whoever they pick, we know we can look forward to the traditional "Well, print the World Series tickets" snark from at least one poster...
    They were correct when the Reds took Tim Layana in the 1989 draft.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

19. Likes:

camisadelgolf (12-12-2020),Danny Serafini (12-10-2020)

Issue with a relief pitcher, though, is simply why do it unless the guy has significant upside? And if he does, why is he in Rule 5 draft? There are lots of marginal relief arms around to sign and doing so does not reduce the roster flexibility in the way a rule 5 signing does.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Issue with a relief pitcher, though, is simply why do it unless the guy has significant upside? And if he does, why is he in Rule 5 draft? There are lots of marginal relief arms around to sign and doing so does not reduce the roster flexibility in the way a rule 5 signing does.
    I also wonder what a Rule V bullpen arm brings to the table, over a current youngster ... say Santillian?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

23. Likes:

HokieRed (12-10-2020),Ron Madden (12-10-2020)

Reds are at 31 on the roster. Perhaps the Reds were looking forward to an abundance of cheap signings being available (which has not really materialized) or hope to do a 5 for 1 Gray trade, but they are very much set up to take at least one player. They need to add talent by any means, even if it is a long shot. The player can always be cut at any time.

With 26 players allowed, I'd go for a starter with upside whom can pitch out of the pen for a year. The Reds train with the Indians and know their guys well. I'd be happy if they drafted any of 21 year old Oviedo whom is now healthy and pitching well in winter league, 2b-ss Jose Fermin (also 21) or OF Tom.

25. Likes:

mth123 (12-10-2020),REDREAD (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    They were correct when the Reds took Tim Layana in the 1989 draft.
    Let's not forget Josh Hamilton.

27. Likes:

jup (12-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Let's not forget Josh Hamilton.
    But alas, no World Series tickets.

Notable Reds Rule 5 acquisitions in my memory:

Dann Bilardello, 1982 (usurped the starting C job from Alex Treviño in 1983)
    Tim Layana, 1989 (a useful relief pitcher in the 1990 bullpen)
    Josh Hamilton, 2006 (really a special case, and a unique situation)
    Jared Burton, 2006 (the other Rule 5 draftee on the 2007 roster; had three solid seasons in the Reds bullpen)
    Stuart Turner, 2016 (somehow made it through the entire 2017 season with the Reds)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

29. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2020)

Turn Off Ads?