Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desclafini?

Desclafini?

Why is there no discussion of resigning him? He's a perfectly legit ML starter. Not an ace but I think he's closer to a #1 than a #5.

Crosley58

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Desclafini?

If he wanted a one year fairly cheap prove it deal I'd be OK with that.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

mth123 (11-20-2020)

Desclafani's been really homer prone since returning from injury a few years ago which makes him a poor fit for GABP. He's going to be 31 years old next season and the Reds can't afford to sink a lot of their budget into an innings eating starting pitcher (Miley already fills that role). He's perfectly capable and will probably have a couple of solid seasons in the cavernous NL West, but the Reds have a replacement ready (Antone) and need to focus on offense...

6. Likes:

757690 (11-19-2020),GAC (11-20-2020),Revering4Blue (11-20-2020),Rojo Rijo (11-20-2020),Roy Tucker (11-21-2020),Tom Servo (11-20-2020),Tuff Nut (11-20-2020),westofyou (11-20-2020),wolfboy (11-20-2020)

It's a shame injuries took away two of his seasons. If he had stayed fully healthy I think he could have been a much needed stabilizing force for those rotations. But, with that said, the Reds should let him leave unless his market tanks and they get him for 1 year for a few million. If he hadn't gotten hurt they would've played the market perfect on someone like Disco. Get his late 20s into around 30 or so, and then let some other team pay for his 30s.

Occam’s Razor says he just never was able to recover from his injuries.

If he could strike guys out and didn’t walk a lot I could probably talk myself into him. Just not the case.

He's the fallback plan for Bauer.
    Go Gators!

I think it would be unwise to sign him again, he gives up too many Hr's, and is not very durable anymore. I would rather look elsewhere and try to sign a #2/3 type guy.

When it comes to signing a SP in this market, it’s basically Bauer or bust. I don’t have confidence that Desclafani or any other FA pitcher will be better than the group the Reds have behind Castillo and Gray, which includes Mahle, Miley, Antone, and Lorenzen. I wouldn’t mind signing additional SP depth if it’s cheap, but I don’t think it makes sense to hand out a larger dollar and/or multi-year commitment to any SP not named Bauer.

Minor league deal to compete for the back end with Lorenzen and Antone. $4 Milion Guarantee if he makes the roster. If he wants more, there are lots of similar guys who would take that deal or less.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-20-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Minor league deal to compete for the back end with Lorenzen and Antone. $4 Milion Guarantee is he makes the roster. If he wants more, there are lots of similar guys who would take that deal or less.
    He’s getting a major league deal from someone...

With that said, nah, I’m good on Disco. Fresh blood please.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    When it comes to signing a SP in this market, it’s basically Bauer or bust. I don’t have confidence that Desclafani or any other FA pitcher will be better than the group the Reds have behind Castillo and Gray, which includes Mahle, Miley, Antone, and Lorenzen. I wouldn’t mind signing additional SP depth if it’s cheap, but I don’t think it makes sense to hand out a larger dollar and/or multi-year commitment to any SP not named Bauer.
    I mostly agree. If it becomes clear Bauer won't sign, then I would turn my attention to Paxton, offering a 1 year/15 mil deal to rebuild his value. Hoping Boddy/Johnson can work their magic with him. If no Paxton, i would then look into Disco as he could/should produce similar to his 2019 season. I love Antone, but he's young and doesn't have much of a track record with durability. He might be a good 6th starter/long man out of the bullpen to start out 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He’s getting a major league deal from someone...

With that said, nah, I’m good on Disco. Fresh blood please.
    As I said, then somebody else can give it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    As I said, then somebody else can give it.
    It’s just a weird thing to say.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Mahle, Miley, Lorenzen available for BOR. Reds need a #3 or better if Bauer leaves.

I don’t see a fit with Disco who unfortunately had a subpar walk year.

19. Likes:

M2 (11-21-2020),mth123 (11-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s just a weird thing to say.
    I'd aim higher. I'd take Disco as a depth piece for the mix, but no guaranteed deal. If he can do better, then he should go elsewhere.

Turn Off Ads?