Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WVU Basketball 2020-21 - The Journey to Indianapolis

Re: WVU Basketball 2020-21 - The Journey to Indianapolis

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I do find that strange....growing up in southern WV, a lot of people were WVU and Reds fans...
    I follow WVU only because I’m married to a WVU fan.

I’ve always said you don’t start seeing blue and gold until you get out of Cabell County. It’s mostly UK/Marshall there. The further north you get to Morgantown it’s there but in terms of baseball there’s more Pirates.

The Reds have sent the Caravan to Parkersburg in recent years to the mall here but I think it’s because of proximity to Athens and I think Thom had a hand in it. Should be interesting to see if that continues.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I follow WVU only because I’m married to a WVU fan.

I’ve always said you don’t start seeing blue and gold until you get out of Cabell County. It’s mostly UK/Marshall there. The further north you get to Morgantown it’s there but in terms of baseball there’s more Pirates.

The Reds have sent the Caravan to Parkersburg in recent years to the mall here but I think it’s because of proximity to Athens and I think Thom had a hand in it. Should be interesting to see if that continues.
    I would estimate when I was growing up right in the heart of coal country in the 80's & 90's....the baseball fan split was something like 45% Reds, 25% Pirates, 15% Braves (TBS), 5% Cubs (WGN) and 10% other (Indians, Tigers, Yankees, etc.) I would guess college fans was split between Football and Basketball.....WVU about 75% in both with Marshall coming in 2nd for Football and UK coming in 2nd for Basketball. Actually, I would guess WVU was less than 75% and UK was probably closer to 35% during the Gale Catlett years.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

WVU lost to #1 Gonzaga 87-82 tonight @ the Jimmy V Classic. I am never happy with a loss, but I knew going into the game that there was a very material chance we may not exit with a victory. A 5 point loss to the #1 team in the country in early December is not something I can't get over. The thing that is becoming very hard to get over is in nearly every big game WVU has played away from the Coliseum in the Bob Huggins era, we get a very different whistle in the 2nd half of the game.

As a WVU fan during the Huggins era, one is always closely monitoring the foul situation because of Huggins style of aggressive play, fouls can become an issue. We have lost more than a couple games under Huggins because our better players have got into foul trouble and spent too much time on the bench. It comes with the territory, and something most WVU fans understand. It is very different when refs call the game one way the first half...commonly known as "letting them play", then come out the 2nd half and call every touch foul and even imaginary fouls. It is not fair to the players to set the tone, then take a 180 degree change of course mid game. I recall this happening several times @ Phog Allen, the Sweet 16 game against Gonzaga, and the Sweet 16 game the following year against Villanova. WVU goes to to halftime winning or tied...no real foul trouble, then get called for fouls nearly every possession until half the team is in foul trouble in the 2nd half. Not only does it often bench your best players, but it forces WVU to play without the aggressive style that had lead to their success under Huggins.

Tonight, we beat Gonzaga in every facet of the game in the 1st Half. Actually there was several times in the 1st half that I felt WVU should have blown the game wide open with a big lead, but would shoot ourselves in the foot allowing Gonzaga to remain in the game. We were monsters on the boards, giving them almost no easy baskets, and not allowing them to run. They were on their heals, and Timme was simply locked down because Culver, Tshiebwe, and Osabuohien were just too big and "strong" for Timme. WVU goes into the half with a 5 point lead, holding Gonzaga to 34 points, and the beauty was that WVU was in great shape with fouls. Culver and Osabuohien had a single foul each and Tshiebwe had 2 personal fouls. The second half, it was quickly obvious the refs were not going to allow WVU to play aggressive as the whistles came quick and often. Tshiebwe fouled out about half way through the 2nd half, and Osabuohien quickly followed him to a permanent seat on the bench. Culver had to play the entire 2nd half, the last 5 minutes or so with 4 Fouls....sharing the interior with a True Freshman. It is not that most of the fouls could not be justified in a vacuum, it is the drastic difference in the way the 1st half was called. At the same time in the 2nd half our bigs were getting hacked, and rarely getting the whistle. In regards to Culver, I would not be surprised if Few told his guys to hack him hard (not dirty) and live with the results as there were several plays where you did not even need your eyes to know he was hacked...your ears would have been enough. Bilas was slobbering over Gonzaga from the beginning of the broadcast, and even he labeled multiple calls in the 2nd half "egregious" and "indefensible". WVU was unable to aggressively defend Gonzaga in the 2nd half leading to them scoring 53 points compared to 34 in the 1st Half. Also, Culver who had been dominant all game was so gassed the last 5 minutes he was not playing defense, getting rebounds taken from him, turning the ball over, and missing every free throw after being a perfect 6 of 6 earlier in the game.

I am not suggesting some conspiracy or the refs decided to keep Gonazaga #1, but something is going on with WVU in the way they are officiated from one half to the next in many big games. I am not sure if the other coach is getting on the refs at halftime, or maybe they look at the scorebook at half and decide they probably have not called the game as tight as needed for a Huggins team. I honestly do not know why this continues to happen, but it is not fair to the players or the fans. I am not even arguing that WVU is a better team, but WVU was the better team tonight....WVU was clearly the better team tonight.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

WVU won @ Georgetown today 80-71. This WVU team still is not clicking. Georgetown was supposed to be one of the easier games on our schedule, yet we played for much of the game behind....and did not cover the 11 point spread. They finally flipped the switch with about 5 minutes left to go on a run and put the game on ice...but before that run, I was getting nervous. WVU is just not hitting shots, and everything seems to be in flashes. An effort like today will result in a loss to Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech and Texas....so they need to get things right fast. WVU plays their first home game Wednesday against Robert Morris. I usually do not like these non-con games against lower level teams, but I am actually thankful for the Robert Morris game as WVU needs to improve.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

WVU put on an offensive clinic in the 1st half against #19 Richmond....leading 52-30 @ halftime. Shot 68% from the field including 75% from 3! Deuce Mcbride putting on a show with 16 points at the half (7 of 8 FG's). All while basically locking down a very good Richmond offense.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    WVU put on an offensive clinic in the 1st half against #19 Richmond....leading 52-30 @ halftime. Shot 68% from the field including 75% from 3! Deuce Mcbride putting on a show with 16 points at the half (7 of 8 FG's). All while basically locking down a very good Richmond offense.
    WVU called off the dogs in the 2nd half....emptying to bench even playing the walkons to win 87-71. This is the team I have expected all year and a team that could be the last one standing in March.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I still haven't seen WV play yet. I imagine I will have to catch them play KU.

BTW, I haven't really seen a team yet that I am blown away with sans the 'Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I still haven't seen WV play yet. I imagine I will have to catch them play KU.

BTW, I haven't really seen a team yet that I am blown away with sans the 'Zags.
    I have been impressed by several teams on particular days/nights....then I have also not been impressed at all by those same teams on other days/nights. Gonzaga and Baylor have probably been the most consistent in they have looked like contenders in all of their games. Iowa may be, but just have not seen them play a really good team yet.....hopefully their game against Gonzaga next weekend gets played.

Right now, I would probably take Baylor over Gonzaga because I think Gonzaga is a little soft....or not as "tough" as they will need to be. Baylor is skilled and physical. In the end, if WVU can hit shots like they did today, then I fear no other team.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

after playing their best game against Richmond, WVU returned to the court last night and played a "stinker" against Iowa State. WVU won 70-65, but would have lost if not just having substantially more talent. After shooting over 57% from 3 against Richmond, WVU torched the nets to shoot 21% from 3 against Iowa State. This is the same Iowa State that was coming off a loss to Kansas State who was coming off a loss to some school called Fort Hays State. FWIW, Iowa State looked better than they have looked all year and they have a very talented guard in Rasir Bolton, but WVU clearly did not take them serious and almost paid for their big heads.

A win is a win I guess, but WVU will have to play much better Tuesday when they visit Phog Allen to play #5 Kansas.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

#7 WVU with a 1 point lead at the half @ #3 Kansas.....36-35. Sean McNeil has been on fire.....7 of 7 from the field, including 6 of 6 from 3! WVU has a winning record against Kansas in the WVU Coliseum, but has never beat Kansas @ Phog Allen since joining the Big12.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I have seen this movie before.....lead Kansas at halftime in Phog Allen, and the first few minutes of the 2nd half the refs take over calling more fouls on WVU in the first 4 minutes that they did the entire first half. It would be funny if not so sad that this has happened for so long, and nobody demands this crap changes. Kansas hacking the crap out of WVU, and no whistles.....even 80+ year old Dickie V is calling out missed foul calls!
    ― Marcus Aurelius

ugh....it is going to take a while to swallow this loss. I swear I have watched this almost exact chain of events play out so many years. Deuce McBride has zero fouls at the half, and picks up 3 fouls in the first few minutes of the 2nd half ( I saw that exact situation with Jevon Carter 2x in Kansas), has to leave the game, and Kansas goes on a 14-2 run. Deuce comes back in, and we cut the lead a little, and boom another foul. No fouls in the 1st half that he played every minute....and has 4 fouls in about 10 minutes of play in the 2nd half!

It is not the fouls Kansas had more fouls in the game than WVU....it is the drastic difference they always call the opponent in the 2nd half which forced Deuce off the court and us into a zone defense...and then they just nailed outside shots and killed us on the boards because we were in zone. Kansas was playing with intense pressure in the 2nd half on defense, and was getting less fouls called that they got in the 1st half. Deuce has never fouled out of a game or even came close from my recollection....but the refs got him off the court in Kanas, just like they would do to Jevon Carter....but at least Jevon Carter was playing defense 94 feet. The calls on McBride, at least a few of them were imaginary! I have issues with the way we responded, and we did not play well in the 2nd half....our player should have expected the calls in the 2nd half instead of allowing the wheels to come off, but at the same time something needs to be done about what takes place @ Phog Allen. Kansas is the dirtiest program in America, and something always heavily influences the refs after halftime.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Here's the thing: no one ever gives any credibility to the person who whines about the refs after a loss unless they are also a fan of the team playing. It may be therapeutic to type out, but no one here not a WV fan (or who didn't have money on WV) is going to buy it. Particularly where there are 2 WV losses this year and two officiating rants.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Here's the thing: no one ever gives any credibility to the person who whines about the refs after a loss unless they are also a fan of the team playing. It may be therapeutic to type out, but no one here not a WV fan (or who didn't have money on WV) is going to buy it. Particularly where there are 2 WV losses this year and two officiating rants.
    I thought the game was called fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Here is the thing....the refs did call the Gonzaga game very different from half to half....and you can just look at the numbers and decipher the across the board change in whistle correlating with the change in results. After the game, I felt we should have "stole" that game, because I did not think that Gonzaga played close to their best. I left that game feeling if both teams played their best, we would have likely came out on the short end, but the Zags did not win because they played better, they won because the refs would not allow us to defend them in the 2nd half or allow us to do much of anything. If you watch that 2nd half, I bet you walk away thinking that 3-5 big calls that went against WVU late in the game were just atrocious.

Kansas is very different, and I have lived it for years, nor do I care what others think. At Kansas, it is always the 2nd half and it is always targeted. I am not even claiming the calls were atrocious in the way Gonzaga was, but it was clear in the 2nd half that Deuce McBride was not going to be able to be on the court. The guy is never in foul trouble, and did not have a foul in the first half.....then picks up 3 in the opening minutes of the 2nd half? Then gets a 4th as soon as Huggins tries to put him back in the game? Maybe if you are not a WVU fan and did not see this happen to Jevon Carter multiple times @ Kansas it would not seem like a huge deal to you. We have played there 9 times and there has been ref issues at least 6 of the costests. In 2018, WVU attempted 2 Free Throws and Kansas attempted 35 Free Throws in the same game.....how is that even possible? We do not have these issues on a consistent basis @ Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State or any of other Big12 arena. Sure there are calls we do not like, but they are not predictable in the way they happen @ Phog Allen. Poll any fan base in the Big 12 about which arena do they routinely feel screwed over in, and I doubt you get a single response that is not Phog Allen. It has been going on too long, and beyond the rose colored glasses of a bias fan. To be clear, the refs did not directly cost us the Kansas game, the refs changed the way we had to play the game and changed the players on the court in the 2nd half, and WVU was unable to adjust and respond. The refs called many fouls on Kansas in that game, but it was not in a manner that forced them to change their approach or the players they utilized. I would not even say it indirectly cost us to lose the game.....but it indirectly cost us to lose the game by a significant margin. The boxscore will illustrate that Kansas shot the heck out of the 3 ball, unlike they have all year, and that had little to do with the refs.

I get that UK gets a good whistle in Rupp and Duke gets a good whistle in Camron Indoor.....heck, WVU gets a good whistle often in the Coliseum, but it is different @ Phog Allen.
    Last edited by adkindo; 12-25-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?