Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: RIP Marv Hagler

  1. #1
    Member texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    17,682

    RIP Marv Hagler


  2. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-16-2021),Kingspoint (03-22-2021),redsfandan (03-13-2021)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    The first boxing match that I watched and kind of had an idea what was taking place was his final fight against Sugar Ray Leonard. I recall I liked Sugar Ray and was glad he won, but my grandfather watched it with me and claimed they stole it from Hagler. We would argue about the outcome, but I basically did not know the difference between a jab and a HR in 1987. Crazy thing is I watched the fight again on ESPN Classic when I was in college, and as the fight was nearing the end I just laughed with watery eyes because I realized that my grandfather who had passed at that point was right....they stole that fight from Hagler.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

  5. #3
    Moderator cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, USA
    Posts
    14,114

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard were four great middleweight fighters that came along at the same time. It was a true golden age of boxing and the last one too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  6. Likes:

    goreds2 (03-21-2021),redsfandan (03-16-2021),Revering4Blue (03-17-2021)

  7. #4
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Western NC, by way of VB, VA
    Posts
    4,170

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    Hagler really seemed to be very much his own man who knew what he wanted and knew when he was done with boxing. I love this recollection from Bob Arum:

    Leonard was willing to do it again. “He deserved a rematch,” Leonard said. Hagler wanted no part of it. In 1988, Arum, Hagler and Leonard were in Las Vegas for an event. Spotting Hagler, Leonard approached Arum. “He said, ‘Bob, go over and talk to Marvin, and tell him not to be a dope. Let’s do the rematch, we’ll make a lot of money,’” recalled Arum. Arum did. He told Hagler that Leonard really wanted it. He reminded him of the millions he could make for that fight. “He just looked at me in this really cold way,” says Arum. “And he said, ‘Bob, go tell Ray to get a life.’”
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  8. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-16-2021),RedsBaron (03-17-2021),Revering4Blue (03-17-2021),texasdave (03-16-2021)

  9. #5
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    23,870

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Hagler really seemed to be very much his own man who knew what he wanted and knew when he was done with boxing. I love this recollection from Bob Arum:
    So many great boxers stayed too long, often to the detriment of their health. Hagler did not. Great fighter, smart man.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  10. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-17-2021),Revering4Blue (03-17-2021),RichRed (03-17-2021)

  11. #6
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    40,612

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    In 1989/90 I was working at a luxury condo in Boston just off the Public Gardens (parking cars). One night a very drunk Marvin Hagler stumbled in, supposedly looking to meet up with somebody who lived in the building. It wasn't that odd for famous people to show up. For instance, David Mamet lived there. Nice guy. Whistled a lot while he walked. Anyway, I wasn't there when Hagler first arrived, so I've always been vague on the details, but I think he only had the first name of the guy he was looking for. The doorman (yeah, it was one of those buildings) was star-struck and offered to take Hagler on a tour of the building to look for whoever it was. I got called up to man the door. For about 30 minutes, the Marvelous One staggered through the corridors of the building, yelling out some guy's name and shouting he was sick and tired of this blanker playing blanking games.

    Complaints then started coming in to the front desk, where the concierge had to explain that Marvin Hagler was loose in the building and we were doing our best to contain him. Seriously, that was the explanation. "Yes, it is Marvin Hagler. We're very sorry for the disturbance."

    Eventually Hagler, who clearly had his load on, get in an elevator with the doorman, insists he's got to take a piss, whips it out and goes in the corner of the elevator. The doorman, who's pretty exasperated at this point, is insisting "Champ, you can't piss in the elevator!" I hear about this via the concierge who can see them on the elevator cam. We have them take the elevator down to the parking garage. I get sent over to meet them and escort them out. Hagler can't walk a straight line. So we end up at the building loading dock and give him a chair. As he begins to dry out a bit, he apologies profusely.

    Then he offers us some cash for our troubles. Like, from a roll of hundreds. I beat the doorman (who wants to take the cash) to the punch and tell him we don't need any money. Hagler keeps insisting. Eventually we agree to take some cash for the people who are going to have to clean the elevator in the morning. As far as I know, the doorman has never forgiven me for this. Hagler eventually leaves via the loading dock, still mumbling apologies.

    And that's the night I met Marvin Hagler.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  12. Likes:

    Betterread (03-17-2021),cumberlandreds (03-17-2021),redhawkfish (03-17-2021),RedsBaron (03-19-2021),Revering4Blue (03-17-2021),RichRed (03-17-2021)

  13. #7
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In 1989/90 I was working at a luxury condo in Boston just off the Public Gardens (parking cars). One night a very drunk Marvin Hagler stumbled in, supposedly looking to meet up with somebody who lived in the building. It wasn't that odd for famous people to show up. For instance, David Mamet lived there. Nice guy. Whistled a lot while he walked. Anyway, I wasn't there when Hagler first arrived, so I've always been vague on the details, but I think he only had the first name of the guy he was looking for. The doorman (yeah, it was one of those buildings) was star-struck and offered to take Hagler on a tour of the building to look for whoever it was. I got called up to man the door. For about 30 minutes, the Marvelous One staggered through the corridors of the building, yelling out some guy's name and shouting he was sick and tired of this blanker playing blanking games.

    Complaints then started coming in to the front desk, where the concierge had to explain that Marvin Hagler was loose in the building and we were doing our best to contain him. Seriously, that was the explanation. "Yes, it is Marvin Hagler. We're very sorry for the disturbance."

    Eventually Hagler, who clearly had his load on, get in an elevator with the doorman, insists he's got to take a piss, whips it out and goes in the corner of the elevator. The doorman, who's pretty exasperated at this point, is insisting "Champ, you can't piss in the elevator!" I hear about this via the concierge who can see them on the elevator cam. We have them take the elevator down to the parking garage. I get sent over to meet them and escort them out. Hagler can't walk a straight line. So we end up at the building loading dock and give him a chair. As he begins to dry out a bit, he apologies profusely.

    Then he offers us some cash for our troubles. Like, from a roll of hundreds. I beat the doorman (who wants to take the cash) to the punch and tell him we don't need any money. Hagler keeps insisting. Eventually we agree to take some cash for the people who are going to have to clean the elevator in the morning. As far as I know, the doorman has never forgiven me for this. Hagler eventually leaves via the loading dock, still mumbling apologies.

    And that's the night I met Marvin Hagler.
    I thought when you said you beat the doorman to the punch, you were going to say in accepting way too much cash from a drunk rich man. I would have taken the roll, and peeled off a couple Benji's to give back to him in case of emergency....then disappeared.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

  14. #8
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    40,612

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I thought when you said you beat the doorman to the punch, you were going to say in accepting way too much cash from a drunk rich man. I would have taken the roll, and peeled off a couple Benji's to give back to him in case of emergency....then disappeared.
    There was a Haitian guy who might be the nicest person I ever met and two older Chinese women who were also sweethearts who were going to have to clean that elevator. We got a cool story. They were going to earn that cash.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  15. Likes:

    Kingspoint (03-22-2021),Revering4Blue (03-22-2021)

  16. #9
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,962

    Re: RIP Marv Hagler

    Next to Joe Frazier, my favorite boxer of all time.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator