Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WVU Basketball 2020-21 - The Journey to Indianapolis

Re: WVU Basketball 2020-21 - The Journey to Indianapolis

WVU did not look great once again against an inferior opponent on Tuesday beating Northeastern 73-51, but the worst news came after the game when it was announced their top recruit in the 2020 class Isaiah Cottrell is out for the season with a torn Achilles. I expected Cottrell to be making an impact on the back end of the conference schedule this year, but with this kind of injury I have to wonder how ready he will even be by next season. I hate it for WVU, but I hate it for the young man even more as he likely has a long road ahead of his to get back to 100%.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

So what’s the story with Oscar? Looks like he’s gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    So what’s the story with Oscar? Looks like he’s gone.
    yeah, he is gone....probably end up at an Adidas school. I do not know the whole story, but I am hearing it is the same people that got in Sagaba Konate's ear when he sit his Junior season and then left early. People connected to the Wildcat Select (AAU) team telling him Huggins is killing his NBA Draft stock....just trying to make few bucks off the kid to get him to an Adidas school or making money over seas. Every time we take a guy that has connections to Wildcat Select, there seems to be similar issues if they are not playing well. I had heard they were on Oscar, but I did not expect him to leave midseason. The guy had his best game of the season on December 29th and was interviewed after the game saying how he thinks the game has turned his season around and how much Coach Huggins had helped him, and he has left the team and in Miami with some of the Wildcat Select / Adidas people by New Years Eve. I would not be shocked if he ends up at U or Miami....nor would I be shocked if we never really hear much about him again.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Crazy two games for WVU....on the brink of season going down the drain. On Saturday @ Oklahoma, the first game without Oscar and Cottrell, I did not know what to expect going against a better than projected Oklahoma team. I was hoping we would come out hot....maybe the guys wanting to make a point they could still play without Oscar. Yeah, that did not happen as we were down 18 points at halftime. In the second half, we came all the way back to tie the game several times, but fell short in the end.

Next game was tonight against another better than projected team, Oklahoma State. Hoping maybe we figured out how to play without the 2 bigs the 2nd half of last game, and would come out strong. Nope. Down 10 at halftime, and the deficit quickly ballooned to 19 early in the 2nd half. I am thinking our season may be over, but we came all the way back to take the lead and get out of Stillwater with the win.

I really have no idea how good the team without Oscar and Cottrell can be, but I assume it will take a few games to figure out. It does not help our next two games are against #4 Texas and #2 Baylor.....but for tonight, there is still hope.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Nice gut-check, come from behind win tonight. While I didn't see the entire game, Culver was owning the paint from what I witnessed.

A roster question: Has Ndiaye redshirted? If not, that's another big to throw out there to steal minutes, though he obviously will not come close to the type of production lost. And Huggins has engineered deep NCAA runs before with teams less talented (minus defections/injuries) than this one.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 01-05-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

The WV basketball season has been cancelled.......on my TV!

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The WV basketball season has been cancelled.......on my TV!
    probably did not come on those 4 channels very often that you get in Indiana anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

Fran Fraschilla
    @franfraschilla

I liked Oscar Tshiebwe as a kid at @WVUhoops. I am reasonably sure there was tampering going on but that would just make it a Tuesday in college basketball. Simply put, with Derek Culver’s dramatic improvement there was little space inside. Skill level must improve at next stop.

6:36 PM · Jan 5, 2021
    ― Marcus Aurelius

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Nice gut-check, come from behind win tonight. While I didn't see the entire game, Culver was owning the paint from what I witnessed.

A roster question: Has Ndiaye redshirted? If not, that's another big to throw out there to steal minutes, though he obviously will not come close to the type of production lost. And Huggins has engineered deep NCAA runs before with teams less talented (minus defections/injuries) than this one.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Ndiaye would have redshirted if this was a year that counted against eligibility, but he is available and already got some garbage minutes this year. My understanding is he is extremely raw, but coaches think he can be a big time player if patient and works to develop his game. There is still a slight chance he redshirts next season, but I doubt that happens.

I thought the last two games should have demonstrated to Huggins that the best option is to go 4 out with Culver in the middle.....and increase ball pressure on defense to something similar to Press Virginia. Every time we have went to the press this year, very good things have happened....but I do not understand why we wait until we are almost 20 points down before we turn up the pressure. The real revelation last night was the 1st year JUCO transfer PG Kedrian Johnson. He has got in a few times this year for a minute or two hear and there, but Huggins turned him loose in the 2nd half last night and he appears to have that dog in him that all of WVU's guards had during Press Virginia. He is 6'3" but has those long arms and aggressive on offense also....him running the PG allowed Deuce McBride to play more off ball and nail the big shots down the stretch.

There is a world where this WVU team is as good or even slightly better without Oscar on the roster. It allows them to open up lanes that were never there before with the middle always clogged, and it allows us to extend our defense without being forced to have Oscar/Culver trying to defend a guard/wing. We have our next game @ #4 Texas then back at home against #2 Baylor....so we are going to find out real quick if this team can compete with a whole new style against elite competition. I think a split in those games would be very big.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-05-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    probably did not come on those 4 channels very often that you get in Indiana anyway...
    Somebody might like it in the Hoosier state...

https://247sports.com/Article/Oscar-...cky-158670151/

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Somebody might like it in the Hoosier state...

https://247sports.com/Article/Oscar-...cky-158670151/
    maybe....I am hearing that it will 100% be an Adidas school and it will very likely be Miami. Also, that all of this "activity" being reported by Rothstein and others is coming directly from his handlers, not from the schools.....and is basically serving as smoke and mirrors due to there being eyeballs on this from 3 and 4 letter organizations because the process has been so blatant, especially on the heels of what took place with Adidas and some players/schools last year. There was one report out there today that his "meeting" with UK does not even involve Cal because it was requested by his handlers, and is not considered much more that theatre by UK. We should know soon if it plays out that way.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-07-2021),Revering4Blue (01-08-2021)

maybe....I am hearing that it will 100% be an Adidas school and it will very likely be Miami. Also, that all of this "activity" being reported by Rothstein and others is coming directly from his handlers, not from the schools.....and is basically serving as smoke and mirrors due to there being eyeballs on this from 3 and 4 letter organizations because the process has been so blatant, especially on the heels of what took place with Adidas and some players/schools last year. There was one report out there today that his "meeting" with UK does not even involve Cal because it was requested by his handlers, and is not considered much more that theatre by UK. We should know soon if it plays out that way.
    Are his “handlers” also Konate’s?

Talk about basketball suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Are his “handlers” also Konate’s?

Talk about basketball suicide.
    Either the same or partially the same. You probably knew this, but Oscar lived with the same host family in PA that Konate did....which was why WVU was on Oscar so early and likely the only reason he chose WVU. Konate is now overseas playing after the Raptors GLeague did not bring him back. Konate never had the overall ability or size of Oscar, but in many ways Konate had a much bigger impact at the college level with his supernatural ability to block shots. At one point during his Sophomore year, so many guys would miss bunnies because there were so concerned about where Konate was on the court. It was all a natural gift too because Huggins claims they never coached or even discussed shot blocking with him @ WVU. Konate also had better feet than Oscar because I think he was much more of an advanced soccer player before he switched to basketball.

Sags was 6'6.5" without shoes and just destroyed fools at the rim. My favorite block of his all time is the very first one (around 25 second mark) where he basically looks at Svi and gives him the nod as if see you at the rim! Then in the very same game a couple plays later (around 1:05 mark), Marcus Garrett tries his luck with the big fella with similar results. A close 2nd favorite was in the Sweet 16 against eventual champs 'Nova when Mikal Bridges (around 1:55) had a breakaway and tried to put Sags on a poster.

Since I am walking down memory lane, I still think it is just wrong Carter and Sags did not get to a Final 4....especially Carter. Jevon Carter made is to 3 Sweet 16's in his 4 year career, and ironically maybe to most talented team was his Sophomore season when they got upset in the 1st Round. In those 3 Sweet 16's they got beat bad by that dominant UK team in 2015 who had never lost a game at that point, then as a Junior they lost to a 35-1 Gonzaga team by 3 points which was the best Gonzaga team ever until this year....and finally as a Senior they lost to eventual champs Villanova. Every one of those years, put WVU in a different bracket, and the chances are high they get to at least 1 or 2 Final 4's.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Heartbreaker today....WVU lost to #4 Texas 72-70. It was very close the whole game....I think the largest lead of the game was a 7 point lead by WVU. WVU took the lead in the 1st Half with about 14 minutes left and held the lead until 1.8 seconds left in the game. The last minute was poor clock management and choking at the free throw line, which allowed them the hit a 3 pointer with 1.8 seconds left to win the game. WVU needed this game to have any shot at having the type of season that was expected, but that does not appear to be in the cards for the regular season. Next up, a trip to Waco to play #2 Baylor.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

#13 WVU @ #2 Baylor on Tuesday has been postponed. COVID issues on WVU side....not sure if it is a player, players, staff or contact tracing.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

#13 WVU @ #2 Baylor on Tuesday has been postponed. COVID issues on WVU side....not sure if it is a player, players, staff or contact tracing.
    extended for 3 games in total....return January 23rd.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?