Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is going to happen in the Spring?

So what is going to happen in the Spring?

The title says it all. I am not meaning to get political here or stir debate but will we have baseball in March? Will fans be allowed to attend? Reduced capacity? Full capacity? Will somehow the owners and MLB make it easier for fans to watch the games after the hot mess of last year? (Sinclair) I know it is day to day in this world right now but in some ways Spring training isn't that far off and opening day is just about 16 weeks away.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: So what is going to happen in the Spring?

Guessing the first few months will be similar to 2020, with precautions and protocols in place. They'll ease once the vaccine gets to a large percentage of the population, perhaps with proof needing to be shown to enter the stadium.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

Crosley58 (12-05-2020),KYExtemper (12-06-2020)

Yep. Everything is vaccine dependent.

On a related note, I expect FA signings to be slow until there is more clarity on the season.

Speaking of spring, Ernie Harwell used to quote;

The flowers appear on the earth;
    the time of the singing of birds is come,
    and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
    Last edited by muddie; 12-04-2020 at 08:58 PM.

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-04-2020),cumberlandreds (12-07-2020),Roy Tucker (12-05-2020)

I think I read a CNN article that said most people will be vaccinated by early summer (June).

Once we cross that 50% mark, I suspect we'll start seeing crowds again.

(Then again, I have no clue. It depends on so many other things.)

10. Likes:

KYExtemper (12-06-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Looks like opening day starter won't be Sonny Gray.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2020)

Birds will bloom, flowers will sing, white fluffy clouds will scud across the green grass.

And before long, the cardboard figures that populate the stands will come to life.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

757690 (12-06-2020),CincyRed44 (12-07-2020),Falls City Beer (12-06-2020),NebraskaRed (12-08-2020),TexasRedsFan (12-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Birds will bloom, flowers will sing, white fluffy clouds will scud across the green grass.

And before long, the cardboard figures that populate the stands will come to life.
    This sounds like an amazing Twilight Zone episode.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-07-2020),KYExtemper (12-13-2020),Old school 1983 (12-08-2020)

I expect a May 1 start date with an expected 125 game season and an expanded playoffs again. More off days built in to allow for schedule flex.

Will there actually be spring training?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    There must be or else we will not find out who is in the best shape of their lives.

20. Likes:

757690 (12-08-2020),Chip R (12-09-2020),Crosley58 (12-09-2020),Red Raindog (12-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    With Covid rates rising, my guess is that spring training will be delayed until there is more certainty about the season. Poorer teams will be looking to trim payroll as a hedge against a shortened season. It will be harder for teams to trade players entering their FA years. Better financed teams will be more likely to pick up these players for less in trade than it would cost in a typical year. The acquiring teams would also be in a better position to extend these players. The financial strain from Covid will hit the small market teams relatively harder.

As Reds fans we should hope for a quick rollout and efficacy of covid vaccines.

22. Likes:

Chip R (12-09-2020)

I predict the equivalent of the war years, depressed revenue, worried brass and players, each chasing the dollar and scheduling that is wrapped around Covid and the vaccine. Some teams won't even try to compete, there could be a lot of players unsigned until they make a plan, MLB could hold out on making a big call and target a May opening, perhaps hoping warmer weather and the vaccine nudge the world back to semi-normal. Nonetheless the players are screwed with this happening before the CBA, the owners are gonna want to squeeze the nut after this ends.

24. Likes:

Chip R (12-09-2020),cumberlandreds (12-09-2020),CySeymour (12-08-2020),KYExtemper (12-13-2020)

I see no reason the season can't start on time with some sort of limited capacity increasing as the summer moves on. Many CFB and NFL teams are doing this right now. I don't see why 10,000 couldn't be allowed in GABP. Until school gets out that is going to be your average crowd anyway except on Opening Day and weekends.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?