Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquiring Jeff Hoffman and Case Williams from the Rockies for Robert Stephenson

Re: Reds acquiring Jeff Hoffman and Case Williams from the Rockies for Robert Stephen

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds GM Nick Krall says Jeff Hoffman can pitch multiple innings in a relief role or compete for #5 starter spot; they planned to draft Case Williams before Rockies took him in 2020 Draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Reds acquiring Jeff Hoffman and Case Williams from the Rockies for Robert Stephen

I’ve lived in and around Denver most of my adult life (I’m 48) and follow the Rockies reasonably closely. I know Hoffman has a great pedigree but there has been nothing to like in his results. Stephenson at least had flashes (and at least one entire season) of effectiveness. Hoffman’s career road ERA is 4.86 with a career road WHIP near 1.5. It’s bizarre to me that RH batters clobber him (nearly 1.000 OPS) much more than lefty batters (sound 800 OPs). When I see a reverse split like that, I assume a guy has a great change up. Not the case.

This only makes sense to me someone in the organization has convinced Krall they can fix him. Hopefully that’s the case and the prediction is accurate

Edit: maybe this trade is more about getting Case Williams, who I don’t know well
    Stick to your guns.

4. Likes:

Gallen5862 (11-25-2020),redsmetz (11-25-2020),Roy Tucker (11-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I’ve lived in and around Denver most of my adult life (I’m 48) and follow the Rockies reasonably closely. I know Hoffman has a great pedigree but there has been nothing to like in his results. Stephenson at least had flashes (and at least one entire season) of effectiveness. Hoffman’s career road ERA is 4.86 with a career road WHIP near 1.5. It’s bizarre to me that RH batters clobber him (nearly 1.000 OPS) much more than lefty batters (sound 800 OPs). When I see a reverse split like that, I assume a guy has a great change up. Not the case.

This only makes sense to me someone in the organization has convinced Krall they can fix him. Hopefully that’s the case and the prediction is accurate

Edit: maybe this trade is more about getting Case Williams, who I don’t know well
    Sounds like they wanted Case most of all.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds GM Nick Krall says ... they planned to draft Case Williams before Rockies took him in 2020 Draft.

Mac Wainright says 'Wait. What?"
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

Benihana (11-25-2020),Gallen5862 (11-25-2020),Patrick Bateman (11-25-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-25-2020)

Headline after Case Williams gets his first save as a member of the Reds:

Case Closed
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

9. Likes:

Always Red (11-25-2020),CarolinaRedleg (11-26-2020),Edd Roush (11-25-2020),Gallen5862 (11-25-2020),Hubba (11-25-2020),JaxRed (11-25-2020),Red Raindog (11-25-2020),RED VAN HOT (11-25-2020),Spider Tre (11-25-2020),UKFlounder (11-25-2020),WrongVerb (11-25-2020)

C. トレント・ローズクランズ
    @ctrent
    Nick Krall said he told Hoffman to come into camp to compete for a starters spot, but be prepared to be used in relief, as well

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-25-2020),Gallen5862 (11-25-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Robert Stephenson had been the 8th most senior member of the Reds, having made his Reds debut on April 7, 2016.

With his departure, Sal Romano now moves into the Top 10.

Reds Top Ten Seniority List (Reds debut date in parentheses):

1. Joey Votto (9/4/07)
    2. Tucker Barnhart (4/3/14)
    3. Anthony DeSclafani (4/9/15)
    4. Raisel Iglesias (4/12/15)
    5. Michael Lorenzen (4/29/15)
    6. Eugenio Suarez (6/11/15)
    7. Brandon Finnegan (9/11/15)
    8. Amir Garrett (4/7/17)
    9. Jesse Winker (4/14/17)
    10. Sal Romano (4/16/17)
    Does Disco count, since he's a free agent?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So ends the saga of Robert Stephenson as a Red. Not quite what the Reds had hoped for from a #1 draft pick.
    Yeah. With the exception of Aroldis, I don't think I've ever seen a reds minor league pitcher dominate quite the way that Stephenson did. Like most of us I just assumed that he would find a way to get that curveball over and turn into something special. Instead things got derailed and by the time he was at Lousiville he was a totally different guy.

I honestly don't know if there is blame to be placed at the developmental folks or if this is just another case of TINSTAAPP. At least with Hunter Greene (and a lot of other stories like this) there was a serious injury involved.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

I’ve now reviewed Hoffman’s major league stats. Room for improvement.

I’ve wondered if Stephenson could find some success in another organization.

It’s not gonna be Colorado.

On the other hand it will always be interesting to see how a flameout pitching prospect from Colorado does with a new team.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Does Disco count, since he's a free agent?
    Yes, until he signs with someone else, or unless he remains unsigned when the 2021 season begins.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (11-25-2020)

Thomas Harding
    @harding_at_mlb
    RHP Jeff Hoffman, traded by the #Rockies, is excited about the move to the #Reds. In past winters, he has received data-driven assistance from Driveline, a performance company. Driveline founder Kyle Boddy and Eric Jagers, who have worked with him in the past, are with the Reds.

19. Likes:

Gallen5862 (11-25-2020),jwdoc77 (11-26-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds thought Case Williams had a lot of upside after scouting him in the Area Code Games. He can reach 95-96 mph and has a lot of spin on his pitches.

"He has a really good chance to be a potential big-league starter."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Yes, until he signs with someone else, or unless he remains unsigned when the 2021 season begins.
    But why?

He is no longer a Cincinnati Reds player.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But why?

He is no longer a Cincinnati Reds player.
    If he re-signs with the Reds before the season starts, his years of service remain continuous. He is not considered a new acquisition. So I leave him on the list until he has officially signed with someone else or the Reds have started the season without him.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?