Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Thoughts

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The problem with replay is the challenge system. As a fan I've seen the replay about 20 times before they rule because of the delay in the challenge and then somebody far away cuing it up and looking at 40 different angles. I say put an ump in the booth, let him watch every play and signal the field to overturn calls immediately. If it takes more than 30 seconds, then the call on the field stands. No Managers stalling or arguing, just somebody upstairs to fix mistakes without really delaying what would be the normal time between batters anyway.

Replay isn't bad, but it's been implemented terribly.
    This makes the most sense, but less money for the owners.

The current system creates more commercials and more controversy. If MLB was really serious about reducing the time of games, they would change the replay system.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    The last season I followed closely on a daily basis was the first replay year, and the number of times per game Marty or whoever would say "the manager wants timeout so someone can look at the replay" was absolutely ridiculous. In the NFL they use dodgy-at-best "evidence" to swing games all the time, while clear-as-day replays stand as called. English soccer has replay officials drawing MSPaint lines on the field and seeing if guys' fingers or elbows touch the line to determine offside, while obvious handballs in the goal box go uncalled because "the computer malfunctioned."

We've traded one evil for another. The human element still impacts the game, but instead of experts doing the really difficult job of doing their best to make calls that make sense, it's non-tech experts badly interpreting technology.
    How about just electronic, accurate, ballad and strikes? Actually shortens the games (no arguments with umps) and eliminates varying ump strike zones and framing/flopping?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MG NorCal View Post
    How about just electronic, accurate, ballad and strikes? Actually shortens the games (no arguments with umps) and eliminates varying ump strike zones and framing/flopping?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    First time I can ever remember disagreeing with you, BCubb.

The designated hitter is to baseball as flopping is to soccer, IMO.

Pitch framing is right up there with stealing signs. Part of the game.
    There's flopping in soccer. I've never noticed that. I do know there are times when they run into each other and they fall to the ground like their leg has just become detached and they roll around for a while like they have just about died. But it is at least a few seconds before they are able to get back up and run full speed so I always assumed that they probably were seriously injured for a minute or two and had a miraculous recovery.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

Turn Off Ads?