Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

If pitchers are allowed to use foreign substances, shouldn’t batters be allowed to use cork?

Should base stealers be allowed to use a glove as big as a fielder’s glove?

I wonder if Derek Johnson could read Ted Williams’ book and start coaching the hitters, too.

As Wee Willie Keeler once said, “Hit them where they ain’t shifted.”

Would you trade for Lindor if it came with a World Series if it came with a Lost Decade?

If the major leagues expanded, that would solve the problem of all those minor league teams that have been cut loose.

Pitch framing is to baseball as flopping is to soccer.

Which is more valuable: A great player on a team of really good players or a near-great player on a team of pretty good players?

The only way I’d trade Sonny Gray is for two Sonny Grays.

There are no small markets, only small owners.

2. Likes:

757690 (11-26-2020),BillDoran (11-26-2020),Bob Sheed (11-26-2020),cumberlandreds (11-26-2020),Edd Roush (11-26-2020),Larkin Fan (11-26-2020),marcshoe (11-27-2020),redsmetz (11-28-2020),RFS62 (11-26-2020),RichRed (11-27-2020),Ron Madden (11-25-2020),Roy Tucker (11-26-2020),SunDeck (11-28-2020),wally post (11-26-2020),WildcatFan (11-30-2020),WrongVerb (11-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post

Pitch framing is to baseball as flopping is to soccer.

First time I can ever remember disagreeing with you, BCubb.

The designated hitter is to baseball as flopping is to soccer, IMO.

Pitch framing is right up there with stealing signs. Part of the game.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

5. Likes:

Always Red (11-26-2020),camisadelgolf (11-27-2020)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    First time I can ever remember disagreeing with you, BCubb.

The designated hitter is to baseball as flopping is to soccer, IMO.

Pitch framing is right up there with stealing signs. Part of the game.
    My theory is that pitch framing relies on the failure of the umpire, and like flopping, shouldn’t exist. But I’m not going to get into a rhubarb with a RedsZone legend.

7. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-27-2020),Edd Roush (11-28-2020),redsmetz (11-28-2020),RFS62 (11-28-2020),Shoeless Jeff (12-01-2020),SunDeck (11-28-2020)

I like point #2

And thanks for this. I like these.

My theory is that pitch framing relies on the failure of the umpire, and like flopping, shouldn’t exist. But I’m not going to get into a rhubarb with a RedsZone legend.
    I agree completely. Also, I always loved me a good rhubarb during a game....went I was young I didn't know it was also a plant, thought it was original to baseball.
    Let's play two!!!

Yeah. It’s not the catchers job to decide if it’s a ball or a strike.

I think most of the time umpires don’t fall for snapping the glove back into the strike zone. That’s an easy tell. More often than not umpires seem to reward the catcher for giving them a clean look and catching the ball smoothly. Until the rules change (well...robo-umps) pitch framing will be a thing. Catchers should work on it.

11. Likes:

RFS62 (11-28-2020)

First time I read this I thought the first one said "coke" not "cork". That's another discussion entirely.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yeah. It’s not the catchers job to decide if it’s a ball or a strike.

I think most of the time umpires don’t fall for snapping the glove back into the strike zone. That’s an easy tell. More often than not umpires seem to reward the catcher for giving them a clean look and catching the ball smoothly. Until the rules change (well...robo-umps) pitch framing will be a thing. Catchers should work on it.
    Past time for going to electronic balls and strikes. Besides the framing issue, varying strike zones from umpire to umpire is ridiculous.

14. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (11-27-2020),Ron Madden (11-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MG NorCal View Post
    Past time for going to electronic balls and strikes. Besides the framing issue, varying strike zones from umpire to umpire is ridiculous.
    The human aspect is what makes sports great.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The human aspect is what makes sports great.
    Mistakes and blown calls make sports less than great. A bad ball or strike call affects everything that happens after that. So eliminate all replay reviews in all sports?

17. Likes:

RedsManRick (11-28-2020)

Mistakes and blown calls make sports less than great. A bad ball or strike call affects everything that happens after that. So eliminate all replay reviews in all sports?
    I believe a blown call isn’t the end of the world, and endless replay reviews and challenges have made watching every sport they’ve touched tedious, boring, and overly-litigated. Yes, end replay reviews in sports.

19. Likes:

jimbo (11-28-2020)

Yes and empower the officials. Replay just slows the rhythm of the games down and honestly they still doesn’t even get the calls right with replay.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

21. Likes:

bm1475 (11-28-2020),jimbo (11-28-2020)

The problem with replay is the challenge system. As a fan I've seen the replay about 20 times before they rule because of the delay in the challenge and then somebody far away cuing it up and looking at 40 different angles. I say put an ump in the booth, let him watch every play and signal the field to overturn calls immediately. If it takes more than 30 seconds, then the call on the field stands. No Managers stalling or arguing, just somebody upstairs to fix mistakes without really delaying what would be the normal time between batters anyway.

Replay isn't bad, but it's been implemented terribly.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-28-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

757690 (11-28-2020),MG NorCal (11-30-2020)

No rhubarb ever with you, my friend.

I'm actually all for automated calls for balls and strikes. I hate umpire influence also.

But as long as it's a thing, I'd be trying my best to have them "see it my way". It's a measurable skill.

It's one of the subtle things that has gone on forever that adds to the baseball gumbo that's slowly being diluted.

And damn, I really hate flopping.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The problem with replay is the challenge system. As a fan I've seen the replay about 20 times before they rule because of the delay in the challenge and then somebody far away cuing it up and looking at 40 different angles. I say put an ump in the booth, let him watch every play and signal the field to overturn calls immediately. If it takes more than 30 seconds, then the call on the field stands. No Managers stalling or arguing, just somebody upstairs to fix mistakes without really delaying what would be the normal time between batters anyway.

Replay isn't bad, but it's been implemented terribly.
    The last season I followed closely on a daily basis was the first replay year, and the number of times per game Marty or whoever would say "the manager wants timeout so someone can look at the replay" was absolutely ridiculous. In the NFL they use dodgy-at-best "evidence" to swing games all the time, while clear-as-day replays stand as called. English soccer has replay officials drawing MSPaint lines on the field and seeing if guys' fingers or elbows touch the line to determine offside, while obvious handballs in the goal box go uncalled because "the computer malfunctioned."

We've traded one evil for another. The human element still impacts the game, but instead of experts doing the really difficult job of doing their best to make calls that make sense, it's non-tech experts badly interpreting technology.

26. Likes:

Crumbley (12-01-2020),redsfanmia (11-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?