Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-tender situation and moves for 2020-21

Re: Non-tender situation and moves for 2020-21

Players better than Casali have been non-tendered in the past, even when times were good. It’s part of the business of the game. Teams don’t deal in players anymore, they deal in contracts. That’s all this move means, that the Reds felt they could get a better contract than Casali’s somewhere else.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Already have discussed Casali ad nauseam. Just hope the Reds are as active acquiring free agents as they are contributing non-tenders and others to the free agent pool.

The early part of the off-season is often the subtraction part. More positive and exciting when your team engages in the addition part.

On a grander scale, I'm thinking this is just the beginning of an overall contraction/consolidation of baseball talent.

Less minor league teams mean less minor leaguers. Smaller drafts.

Less money going to non-impact players (such as Casali). Even if someone like Curt Casali gets signed on elsewhere, somebody else is losing their job down the line to make room for him.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that plans are in the works to contract a couple of teams.

MLB is going to use this as an excuse to address what some would call a watered-down product.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (12-02-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-02-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    On a grander scale, I'm thinking this is just the beginning of an overall contraction/consolidation of baseball talent.

Less minor league teams mean less minor leaguers. Smaller drafts.

Less money going to non-impact players (such as Casali). Even if someone like Curt Casali gets signed on elsewhere, somebody else is losing their job down the line to make room for him.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that plans are in the works to contract a couple of teams.

MLB is going to use this as an excuse to address what some would call a watered-down product.
    I sort of agree, except there’s no way they’ll contract any teams. Each franchise is worth billions. They’re going to expand sooner than later, if anything.

7. Likes:

Chip R (12-02-2020),M2 (12-02-2020),REDREAD (12-06-2020),Revering4Blue (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I sort of agree, except there’s no way they’ll contract any teams. Each franchise is worth billions. They’re going to expand sooner than later, if anything.
    Expansion would accomplish the same thing, in a way.

Cutting a ton of minor league teams/draft spots/borderline free agents makes enough surplus players for a couple of extra franchises. Redistribute players via expansion drafts, sign unemployed players to fill the voids left after said drafts, and you've effectively made two new franchises without watering down the product from where it currently is.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-02-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-02-2020)

No way are they contracting
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'm on the side of thinking the 2020 financial hit probably hastens expansion. The owners are going to want those expansion fees. I had been thinking they'd expand by two teams, but it wouldn't shock me if they did four or six teams over the next decade. Also, the contraction of the minor leagues opens up places for those farm systems and more players to fill those farm systems.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Chip R (12-02-2020),Patrick Bateman (12-02-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-02-2020)

Teams have had a month to assess the trade value of many of their players that are potential non-tenders. Further, the FA market is likely to be very weak. Marginal players are likely to have less market value than their arbitration awards. Thus, teams may be more likely to gamble on non-tendering players in the belief that they can re-sign them at a lower cost than the likely arbitration figure.

It is prudent to plan for a season that is somewhat truncated. A million here; a million there and pretty soon you are talking about real money.

14. Likes:

jup (12-02-2020),Revering4Blue (12-02-2020),Ron Madden (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The fact Trevor Bauer still posts here gives me hope he is going to sign with the Reds.
    Wait, What?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Wait, What?
    There are hushed whispers that Bauer posts here.

Some believe that Bauer is everywhere (on the Internet).

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-02-2020)

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    The Seattle #Mariners announce they have tendered contracts to everyone on their 40-man roster.

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    ·
    3m
    The #Cubs are definitely tendering a contract to Kris Bryant, but barring a change of plans, will cut ties with outfielders Kyle Schwarber and Albert Almora, as @MDGonzales
    predicted.

I can't remember where, but I heard that Schwarber is from the area. The Reds could be interested.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-02-2020),Red Raindog (12-02-2020),savafan (12-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I can't remember where, but I heard that Schwarber is from the area. The Reds could be interested.
    I mean, I'd become a Schwarber fanboy so fast your head would spin. I could talk myself into 50 HR playing at GABP. Not that I'm wise.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I mean, I'd become a Schwarber fanboy so fast your head would spin. I could talk myself into 50 HR playing at GABP. Not that I'm wise.
    Exactly what the Reds need, another sub .200 21st century Dave Kingman. Actually, I think he's going to an independent league team in Thom's backyard.

Mark Sheldon is reporting that Goodwin is being non-tendered.

Turn Off Ads?