Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-tender situation and moves for 2020-21

Re: Non-tender situation and moves for 2020-21

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Ah.

This is where we disagree, then. I see two reasons for this:

1. Barnhart's salary is remarkably cheap for a starting catcher. Teams who have hitting elsewhere and value defense behind the plate should be agreeable to take on his entire $4M contract. Tampa, New York (both squads), Philadelphia, Houston, Toronto-- they're all in various stages of real need in terms of catching and have shown an affinity for elite defense over offensive adequacy at the position. With supply being, basically, Realmuto and McCann and a bunch of veteran backups plus perhaps Gary Sanchez's corpse, Barnhart is a fairly attractive option. (He was worth nearly $6M last year even as an offensive non-entity. Ditto the year before. With a $4M contract, he should be a relative bargain even at full salary next year too.

2. I assume the Reds are going to sign some free agents. Krall has said as much in every interview I've seen. He's looking at a SS and pitching depth, in particular. (Probably pitching depth that still has options.) Trading Barnhart for another team's Robert Stephenson (with options), then, would benefit the Reds and the other team. It'd also save the Reds all of Barnhart's salary while acquiring a needed piece.
    What was remarkably cheap in past off-seasons won’t be considered remarkably cheap this year. It’s a very different situation and market right now.

Not sure Barnhart for $4 million is great value in this market, he hit .204 with a .679 OPS. Not sure a Gold Glove will be that compelling to GMs. But time will tell, nobody knows exactly how it will work out.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-30-2020 at 03:33 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Fun words to type/say but not a real strategy for winning baseball games.

Going from a solid combo with great defense and a strong RH bat to wild card rookie doesn't work with the current roster. If they didn't have as much invested, sure, let the youth play. But with Votto, Castellanos, Suarez, Moose, etc. around on significant contracts, you play to win now. Introducing a gaping hole (unless you're certain in what your rookie is) is a big gamble and can blow up in your face, as Garcia did last year.
    Stephenson projects to bring strong defense and a bat better than either Casali or Barnhart. And he's had 5 years in the minors, meanwhile Garcia skipped levels.

We can't keep him down there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Stephenson projects to bring strong defense and a bat better than either Casali or Barnhart. And he's had 5 years in the minors, meanwhile Garcia skipped levels.

We can't keep him down there forever.
    For me, the operative word here is "projects." I'm reducing uncertainty, if I'm Krall. Too much invested right now.

I like Stephenson a lot, and I think he's a great prospect. He's still never played AAA-ball yet though. He's only got 363 PA in AA (and he was great, 130 RC+). Of course, he pasted the ball in 20 PA last year for the Reds. Suppose it comes down to your internal scouting. If you're confident he improves the squad, go for it. If not, you run the risk of diminishing a solid roster spot for a pretty marginal savings.

Start him at AAA. Let him knock the door down.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 11-30-2020 at 03:43 PM.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-01-2020),Tom Servo (11-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Start him at AAA. Let him knock the door down.
    Is there going to be a AAA next year?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Is there going to be a AAA next year?
    Almost a certainty. By then vaccines should be pretty widespread.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

8. Likes:

redsmetz (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Almost a certainty. By then vaccines should be pretty widespread.
    From what I have heard, the average person would get the vaccine by June. My guess is the professional athletes, especially minor league ones, will be near the bottom of the list of those who get it.

However, they could still start the MILB season before the players get the vaccine, with proper protocols.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

At this point the Reds should just buy Driveline.

11. Likes:

Crumbley (12-07-2020),Gallen5862 (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    At this point the Reds should just buy Driveline.
    That is why you bring someone like Bauer in in the first place, he is the embodiment of Driveline (and more) on the field and in the clubhouse. You get Driveline, a Cy Young, and a playoff appearance - all told, not a bad deal

13. Likes:

Gallen5862 (12-01-2020),M2 (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    That is why you bring someone like Bauer in in the first place, he is the embodiment of Driveline (and more) on the field and in the clubhouse. You get Driveline, a Cy Young, and a playoff appearance - all told, not a bad deal
    It definitely seems to be paying off.

It's weird as a lifelong Reds fan, and our complete inability to develop pitching for decades, to go from that to the what looks like the franchise behind a Sabre pitching revolution. A good weird though.

15. Likes:

Gallen5862 (12-01-2020),M2 (12-01-2020)

Goodwin is probably viewed as the Reds' main non-tender candidate, but their non-tender decisions will give insight into how much they're trying to reduce payroll.

Goodwin is projected to make $2.7 million to $3.6 million through arbitration, according to the models used by MLBTradeRumors, which is probably above the range the Reds want to spend on a player who would enter spring training as the team's fifth outfielder. The Reds acquired him at the trade deadline in August when Nick Senzel was on the injured list and Shogo Akiyama scuffled at the plate, but Goodwin didn't have much offensive success with the Reds.

Casali is an intriguing decision because he's projected to make around $2 million and he's been everything the Reds could've wanted in a backup catcher. He hit well and he had a great rapport with the pitching staff.

Some rival teams believe Bradley is a non-tender candidate because he's projected to make around $5 million through arbitration. It would be a pure cost-cutting move as Bradley had a strong 2020 season and fits any team's bullpen as a reliever with closer experience.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ff/ar-BB1bxuwn

I would be most upset with cutting Bradley. Reds need late inning relievers. I could understand Goodwin or Casali being cut.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-01-2020),Old school 1983 (12-02-2020),Revering4Blue (12-01-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-01-2020)

The Twinkies are on the verge of non-tendering OF'er Eddie Rosario.

They attempted to find a trade candidate for him, but failed. He's on outright waivers at the moment, but will be non-tendered if no one claims him.

He was set to earn about 10M$ via his final year in arbitration.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 12-01-2020 at 10:49 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Twinkies are on the verge of non-tendering OF'er Eddie Rosario.

They attempted to find a trade candidate for him, but failed. He's on outright waivers at the moment, but will be non-tendered if no one claims him.

He was set to earn about 10M$ via his final year in arbitration.
    Declining stats at 28, dropping him is a Cardinals move. He'll wind up failing next year in Cleveland.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Declining stats at 28, dropping him is a Cardinals move. He'll wind up failing next year in Cleveland.
    How are his stats declining? He outperformed his career OBP and matched his career SLG this season. I'll bet whomever signs him this winter is going to be extremely happy with the deal 12 months from now; assuming 2021 is played.

I heard through the vine (very reliable) that Casali was put on out right waivers also.

Sounds like a non tender to me

Turn Off Ads?