Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-tender situation and moves for 2020-21

Re: Non-tender situation and moves for 2020-21

I'd get the baseball logic of moving Castellanos or Moustakas, provided they were adding elsewhere (probably 2B). If they moved Suarez or Gray it would have to be a deal to which they could not say no.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-03-2020),mth123 (12-04-2020),Revering4Blue (12-03-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If, as Bobby Nightengale suggests, these non-tenders were the prelude to improving the squad, I think we're all on board (though it's hard to square cutting the reasonably priced Bradley and going out spending).

We're all rightfully skittish. We've been burned many, many times by a cheap front office, and I suspect we'll ultimately do what we always do, split the difference. Unload another contract or two, then roll with Votto's deadweight and a few high-priced bats. Not good enough to really make noise, but good enough to say, "Hey, we're trying!"

Krall has suggested substantive additions are coming. They're very publicly pursuing a SS. Krall's also said the bullpen is a priority (though he's also suggested the bullpen is a numbers game; collect a bunch of them). There are also whispers of Gray being on the market, and it doesn't sound like Bauer is going to be a a real option.

Here's hoping the additions go beyond a free agent SS and a handful of middling relievers. It would seem the Reds, as committed as they are with Votto, Castellanos, Moose and Suarez, would be well advised to swim against the tide and go for it this year. Prices will be depressed. Some regular contenders will likely be less aggressive and ambivalent in adding payroll. Adding Didi, a legit middle off the rotation arm and real bullpen help would likely put the Reds as a favorite for the Central. How cool would it be for the Reds to buck expectations, cast aside their conservative ways and go for it?

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-03-2020),Boss-Hog (12-03-2020),REDREAD (12-06-2020),Revering4Blue (12-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Here's hoping the additions go beyond a free agent SS and a handful of middling relievers. It would seem the Reds, as committed as they are with Votto, Castellanos, Moose and Suarez, would be well advised to swim against the tide and go for it this year. Prices will be depressed. Some regular contenders will likely be less aggressive and ambivalent in adding payroll. Adding Didi, a legit middle off the rotation arm and real bullpen help would likely put the Reds as a favorite for the Central. How cool would it be for the Reds to buck expectations, cast aside their conservative ways and go for it?
    100% this. This is the perfect time for a small market team to pounce. Deal yourself in while others are dealing themselves out. A small market has to be abnormal if it wants to win a title and this season presents a perfect opportunity to be abnormal.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    100% this. This is the perfect time for a small market team to pounce. Deal yourself in while others are dealing themselves out. A small market has to be abnormal if it wants to win a title and this season presents a perfect opportunity to be abnormal.
    And they're 85% of the way there. A couple key signings make this roster a contender (on paper).

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sounds great, but do they actually have the $ to make that happen?

We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Sounds great, but do they actually have the $ to make that happen?

We'll see...
    They absolutely have the money. They always have the money. The question always is, are they willing to spend it?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

BillDoran (12-03-2020),REDREAD (12-06-2020)

If the Reds trade one slugger and beef up the middle infield with good all around players, they’d probably be a better team. At least the positions (non-pitchers).

One poster has been touting a Castellanos trade. I don’t see that, the financial commitment is too heavy. If they could trade Suarez for a two-way second baseman, and add Gregorius in FA, it could be an improvement.

But I don’t see anything like that happening. My guess is they’ll add a shortstop, probably Simmons, and if they trade it will be for lesser player assets and financial relief.

Hope I’m wrong.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-03-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds trade one slugger and beef up the middle infield with good all around players, they’d probably be a better team. At least the positions (non-pitchers).

One poster has been touting a Castellanos trade. I don’t see that, the financial commitment is too heavy. But if they trade Suarez for a good second baseman, and add Gregorius in FA, it could be an improvement.

But I don’t see anything like that happening. My guess is they’ll add a shortstop, probably Simmons, and if they trade it will be for lesser player assets and financial relief.

Hope I’m wrong.
    I think it’s going to be Semien
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Reading the tea leaves, I think the Reds are going hard after Didi. Many teams will be, so they may not sign him, but I think he is their clear first target.

After that, they will start loading up on relievers with options. Who they are will depend on who they get and how much they have to spend for a SS.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Just moved too a side road.
    Better that than to continue along the road to nowhere filled with potholes.

Yes, there are still major issues within the organization - nobody is claiming otherwise - but the MLB roster and oganization itself are still in infinitely better shape than 2018.

That's the point.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

16. Likes:

mth123 (12-04-2020),westofyou (12-03-2020)

My biggest issue with non-tendering Bradley is that it means the Reds are going all in with Iglesias as the closer.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (12-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    the MLB roster and oganization itself are still in infinitely better shape than 2018.
    While accurate, it’s hard to get too excited about that. It’s like a comedian bragging that he’s better than Carrot Top.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-06-2020)

After sleeping on it, I have no issue with the non-tenders, even Bradley. In hindsight it was a dumb trade, but the Reds got a decent look at him and thought - "he's not worth it". It's better than doubling down and keeping him for the sake of winning the trade.

There are a dozen guys out there as good as, or better than, Bradley. The challenge for the Reds will be convincing them to actually sign on. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic that they can convince a couple of guys that the Reds have a world-class pitching operation and that they should choose Cincinnati over other, more-successful (or more appealing geographically) places.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    After sleeping on it, I have no issue with the non-tenders, even Bradley. In hindsight it was a dumb trade, but the Reds got a decent look at him and thought - "he's not worth it". It's better than doubling down and keeping him for the sake of winning the trade.

There are a dozen guys out there as good as, or better than, Bradley. The challenge for the Reds will be convincing them to actually sign on. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic that they can convince a couple of guys that the Reds have a world-class pitching operation and that they should choose Cincinnati over other, more-successful (or more appealing geographically) places.
    Sorry, but thats BS. This is cheap penny pinching, not a performance issue because he pitched well for them. He was entirely worth his contract.

Also who is better than him available on the FA market now for that price? Brad Hand? He’s going to be more expensive, anyway.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (12-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sorry, but thats BS. This is cheap penny pinching, not a performance issue because he pitched well for them. He was entirely worth his contract.

Also who is better than him available on the FA market now for that price? Brad Hand? He’s going to be more expensive, anyway.
    Going by projected 2021 fWAR on Fangraphs' FA list for relief pitchers, there are literally 23 guys ahead of Bradley. I know that's not a definitive metric by any means, but that tells me, at least on a surface level, that Bradley isn't a guy I'm going to get all worked up over.

Did you watch any of his outings for the Reds? He was ok. I mean, he wasn't dominating guys like a setup man should be.

Now if the Reds just pocket that money I'll be pissed. But I think there are plenty of alternatives to Archie Bradley. Some are better, others are cheaper, hopefully the Reds can sign a few.

Turn Off Ads?