Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Re: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Jean Segura is being discussed in trades. I could get behind acquiring him to play SS. He'll be 31, he can leadoff, has 2 years 29 mil left on his deal (14.5 per) with a 17 mil club option for '23, and his last 4 OPS average is .760 with all 4 in the .743 - .776 range. Two years would seem like an ideal timeframe to get Garcia going. I can't imagine he'd cost much in the way of prospects. Knowing Philly they're probably looking for arms.

The downside is paying 14.5 mil for a .750 OPS bat. Not a terrible overpayment but for a small market club you'd hope for more bang for the buck. His last season in Arizona in '16 he OPS .867 so hopefully GABP would get him closer to .775/.780 than .750.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 12-02-2020 at 03:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal was not wrong. I’m not wrong in agreeing with him. And your post totally misstates my view.

Bailey had a $23 million salary and $5 million buyout option. About $6 million of Kemp’s salary was paid by other teams. Wood and Puig each got about $9-10 million. When you add it all up, and add in the Dodger $7 million contribution, it’s about a wash.

The deal was generally cash neutral, the Reds wanted the players, they were an integral part of the deal, the Dodgers insisted on prospects as part of the return.
    Cots says you and Rosenthal were wrong.

But regardless, with that last sentence, you and I agree. The Reds wanted Wood and Puig, and the Dodgers demanded Downs and Gray. Bailey and Kemp was used to make the money work.

That is different from what you and others were originally saying, which is that the deal was to get rid of Bailey’s contract and the other players were secondary.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cots says you and Rosenthal were wrong.

But regardless, with that last sentence, you and I agree. The Reds wanted Wood and Puig, and the Dodgers demanded Downs and Gray. Bailey and Kemp was used to make the money work.

That is different from what you and others were originally saying, which is that the deal was to get rid of Bailey’s contract and the other players were secondary.
    Cots simply recites Kemp’s full salary. It doesn’t subtract contributions by other teams. Rosenthal understood the trade and correctly described it.

And the goal of the trade was not to “get rid of” Bailey’s contract. That was impossible, it was a sunk cost. The goal was to re-route the Bailey commitment to different players and get more production for it.

As I’ve now said too many times.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-02-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Cots simply recites Kemp’s full salary. It doesn’t subtract contributions by other teams. Rosenthal understood the trade and correctly described it.

And the goal of the trade was not to “get rid of” Bailey’s contract. That was impossible, it was a sunk cost. The goal was to re-route the Bailey commitment to different players and get more production for it.

As I’ve now said too many times regardless how you may try to characterize it.
    It’s Cot’s policy to list any and all deferred payments on the payroll spreadsheet. They are listed on the Reds 2019 payroll spreadsheet as being $7M for Bailey. Rosenthal was wrong.

Those different players were Wood and Puig, and the Reds needed to trade Downs and Gray to get them. You previously argued that Downs and Gray were sent to offset Bailey’s contract difference with Kemp’s. That clearly was not the case.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Jean Segura is on the trade block. He's not a candidate to be non-tendered, so there's no pressing need to get a deal done. Not sure if he's the SS we'd want to have, but he's out there.

Edit: Just glanced at his contract. Let's park this in "never mind land."
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 12-02-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Segura would be interesting in a contract swap sort of way. Maybe Reds could swap a guy with a year left (Miley, Iglesias) for Segura and a prospect.

This also likely means on of the FA SS is heading to Phila, maybe a return for Didi.

It sounds like we're going to have a lot of interesting options from the non-tender pool of players if we just wait all of this out.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It’s Cot’s policy to list any and all deferred payments on the payroll spreadsheet. They are listed on the Reds 2019 payroll spreadsheet as being $7M for Bailey. Rosenthal was wrong.

Those different players were Wood and Puig, and the Reds needed to trade Downs and Gray to get them. You previously argued that Downs and Gray were sent to offset Bailey’s contract difference with Kemp’s. That clearly was not the case.
    1. Agreed conntributions by other teams to partially cover salary are not “deferred payments.” Deferrals are something else. Rosenthal dealt specifically with those in his tweet. He was correct.

2. I don’t agree with your characterizations of my posts, which are clear for everyone to read.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-02-2020 at 03:50 PM.

1. Agreed conntributions by other teams to partially cover salary are not “deferred payments.” Deferrals are something else. Rosenthal dealt specifically with those in his tweet. He was correct.

2. I don’t agree with your characterizations of my posts, which are clear for everyone to read.
    My apologies if I mischaracterized your posts.

Turn Off Ads?