Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Re: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Just please stay away from trading the future for one year of Story/Lindor.

That's how we get another Downs/Gray situation.

2. Likes:

JaxRed (11-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Didi needs to be the answer.

5. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post

Yes, with the shortcomings of the rebuild, Reds now have stocked up on more established, mature veterans. And the team is better.

But at this point, they need to get younger, more athletic, better defensively.

I’d hate to trade away any of the team’s top 6 - 8 prospects this off-season. The system maybe isn’t great, but I like the names in that top group, several of whom are on the cusp of the big leagues.

Simmons appears to have a structural issue in that he keeps hurting his ankles - if we knew he could play 150 games a year, Id be all for him. However he hasn't been able stay healthy..

If I'm GM, I sign Didi.

8. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yes, with the shortcomings of the rebuild, Reds now have stocked up on more established, mature veterans. And the team is better.

But at this point, they need to get younger, more athletic, better defensively.

I’d hate to trade away any of the team’s top 6 - 8 prospects this off-season. The system maybe isn’t great, but I like the names in that top group, several of whom are on the cusp of the big leagues.
    I expect a big jump in the reputation of the farm when minor league play returns. Lodolo, Greene, and Hendrick are all already highly thought of and they've barely played. Stephenson's brief but productive stint in the big leagues should raise his profile, it's not like there are a lot of big catching prospects to compete with. India and Hinds are apparently impressing to bring up the back-end of the top ten. If we grab a short stop I'd think that Garcia's production in the minors would improve based on his new experience. And I wouldn't be surprised to see some pitcher blow up in the new development system.

We're due a year where the system overproduces.

10. Likes:

Kc61 (11-30-2020)

trading 2 of their top prospects for a 1-year rental of lindor would be very on-brand for the reds. (not good by any means, but certainly on-brand.)

do you guys remember the time when the reds traded josiah gray and jeter downs for 1-year rentals of puig and alex "glass joe" wood? good times.

and speaking of didi, there was that one time the reds traded didi for a 1-year rental of choo. fantastic work there.

do you know what good small-market organizations like the rays and indians never do? trade top prospects for 1-year rentals of veteran players. and i mean they NEVER do it. reds make a habit out of doing it.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 11-30-2020 at 12:55 PM.

12. Likes:

podgejeff_ (11-30-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Downs/Gray was the price the Reds paid to unload Bailey's contract.

That said, I agree that one year isn't worth a huge package full of future players.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-30-2020),Rojo Rijo (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

That said, I agree that one year isn't worth a huge package full of future players.
    At the time I loved the trade. I also question if Downs and Gray are both as highly thought of if they stay in the Reds system. We don't get the love LA does.

But we need a productive farm. We're never going to be Tampa Bay or St. Louis or Cleveland without one.

At the time I loved the trade. I also question if Downs and Gray are both as highly thought of if they stay in the Reds system. We don't get the love LA does.

But we need a productive farm. We're never going to be Tampa Bay or St. Louis or Cleveland without one.
    Agreed on all that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I should have explained...

I expect it to be Simmons who signs with the Reds because I don't see them giving up a lot of talent to get Lindor or Story, and I don't see them giving up the 3-4 year deal it would take to get Didi or Semien.

That said, in my mind I'd love to see the Reds trade for Bogaerts. They get at least 2 years control (opt-out after 2022), and might not have to give up Garcia.

18. Likes:

M2 (11-30-2020)

Lindor is a special player and would be the answer if it was for more than one year. Small market teams have unique circumstances. Signing Didi makes the most sense ... doesn't cost anything other than $.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If that is accurate, that makes the trade so much worse.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

21. Likes:

REDREAD (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    trading 2 of their top prospects for a 1-year rental of lindor would be very on-brand for the reds. (not good by any means, but certainly on-brand.)

do you guys remember the time when the reds traded josiah gray and jeter downs for 1-year rentals of puig and alex "glass joe" wood? good times.

and speaking of didi, there was that one time the reds traded didi for a 1-year rental of choo. fantastic work there.

do you know what good small-market organizations like the rays and indians never do? trade top prospects for 1-year rentals of veteran players. and i mean they NEVER do it. reds make a habit out of doing it.
    If you have to go back to 2012 to find a second example, it's not exactly a habit.

At the time of that trade, Reds needed veterans, they wanted to improve, the kids they traded weren’t their very top. And they wanted better use of Bailey’s salary slot.

Now is a different time. The team has many veterans of a type. Power hitting, corner type players. Late twenties or thirties in age.

For now, in my view, the focus should be on retaining good prospects as much as possible. It provides player balance and is also a financially sound way for the Reds to proceed with a higher payroll.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-30-2020)

I know it’s unlikely as hell but man it would be sweet if the Reds could pull a Cardinals for once and swing a deal for Story and then extend him before he even hits the field.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

26. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-30-2020),M2 (11-30-2020),MrRedSkull (12-02-2020),Old school 1983 (11-30-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-30-2020),RiverRat13 (11-30-2020),Rojo Rijo (12-02-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?