Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Jon Morosi
    @jonmorosi

Sources: #Reds are prioritizing the addition of one starting shortstop and are pursuing multiple options to address that need: Francisco Lindor and Trevor Story in trade; Marcus Semien, Andrelton Simmons, and Didi Gregorius via free agency. @MLBNetwork @MLB
    8:03am · 30 Nov 2020
    My prediction (as it has been for awhile now) is that the Reds end up signing Simmons. Runner-up prediction has them signing the KBO shortstop.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

757690 (11-30-2020),MrRedSkull (12-02-2020),Tom Servo (11-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Good.

Simmons is a realistic target and would be a good fit if they can keep it to a 2-year deal. I'm guessing Didi's price will be a bit too steep for where the Reds are at.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Simmons is a realistic target and would be a good fit if they can keep it to a 2-year deal. I'm guessing Didi's price will be a bit too steep for where the Reds are at.
    Agree, but I’d be ecstatic if Reds could swing a deal with Didi.

He’s exactly the right player they need. High contact hitter and solid defender.

Simmons has not hit much of late. He was around .750 OPS for awhile, but not as good in last two seasons.

If the market is really weak, maybe Reds could find a way to get Gregorius.

Simmons is the least attractive of those options. I'd hope if the Reds are truly looking to upgrade the position they'd look for a bat capable of touching 800ish OPS. Simmons is topping out around .750. He provides no pop or speed. Sure he's got a great K rate but his BB rate is also low. He's a weak contact hitter and I just don't see how this is a real upgrade.

9. Likes:

757690 (11-30-2020),MrRedSkull (12-02-2020),Redsfan6272 (11-30-2020),Tom Servo (11-30-2020)

I’ve stated this many times here, but I really hope the Reds see this off season as an opportunity to acquire solid talent at a discount, instead of cutting payroll and settling for dumpster diving.

Didi should be rather inexpensive, probably the least expensive someone like him will ever be. It would be a shame if the Reds passed on him in order to pinch pennies that we all know that they have.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-30-2020),Rojo Rijo (11-30-2020)

When you look at all of those options and what they'd cost in terms or contract and players Didi is probably going to be the best ROI.

Lindor or Story would be a huge splash/exciting acquisition but both are pending FAs. Both are going to get big deals. Either the Reds put up for another huge contract (unlikely) or they get a one and done talent (which would come with a comp pick but would still cost a decent prospect haul).

Simmons doesn't move the needle. Would seem like no effort. Not that it couldn't work out, just that it's not a significant move.

Semien had a down 60 gamer but would likely still try and get paid based off of his '19 near .900 OPS season. His 4 seasons prior to '19 - .715, .735, .722, .706. Not sure what the market will look like but paying a guy based on an anomaly that is a massive outlier is not a smart move.

Didi is not going to break the bank, won't cost prospects, and his OPS trends north of .750 since his second season in NY.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 11-30-2020 at 11:57 AM.

13. Likes:

757690 (11-30-2020),mth123 (11-30-2020)

Simmons career line: .269/.317/.379
    Another shortstop who plays good defense and I roll my eyes at every time a RZ poster suggests the Reds re-acquire: .278/.319/.381

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-30-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’ve stated this many times here, but I really hope the Reds see this off season as an opportunity to acquire solid talent at a discount, instead of cutting payroll and settling for dumpster diving.

Didi should be rather inexpensive, probably the least expensive someone like him will ever be. It would be a shame if the Reds passed on him in order to pinch pennies that we all know that they have.
    I hope you’re right.

Reds will be saving when they lose Bauer, Disco, and Galvis. They could save via non-tenders. They could trade or non-tender one of their two higher end relievers. If Didi is reasonable this off-season, he would be a great add.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Simmons career line: .269/.317/.379
    Another shortstop who plays good defense and I roll my eyes at every time a RZ poster suggests the Reds re-acquire: .278/.319/.381
    Iglesias I’m assuming

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Simmons is the least attractive of those options. I'd hope if the Reds are truly looking to upgrade the position they'd look for a bat capable of touching 800ish OPS. Simmons is topping out around .750. He provides no pop or speed. Sure he's got a great K rate but his BB rate is also low. He's a weak contact hitter and I just don't see how this is a real upgrade.
    Simmons would be an upgrade over the Garcia/Galvis combo of last season. Garcia clearly needs another year (or two) in the minors, and Galvis has lost his way in the field. I was never a big fan of Galvis' rip and grip approach at the plate either.

Simmons brings more balance in his approach and I think his bat could get a lift in the NL Central. He's had some pretty decent power years (peaking with 54 xbh's in 2017), Reds would hope to tap back into that. I think we know what Simmons brings to the defensive end of things. He may be past his prime but he'll still be very good and a steady presence wherever he lands.

Obviously it depends on the price, but I'd be happy with Simmons on a reasonable 2-year deal.

If Jose Iglesias had been in the Reds playoff lineup they would have won Game 1 and game three would have been Sonny Gray's to lose.

21. Likes:

757690 (11-30-2020),HokieRed (11-30-2020)

Simmons would be an upgrade over the Garcia/Galvis combo of last season. Garcia clearly needs another year (or two) in the minors, and Galvis has lost his way in the field. I was never a big fan of Galvis' rip and grip approach at the plate either.

Simmons brings more balance in his approach and I think his bat could get a lift in the NL Central. He's had some pretty decent power years (peaking with 54 xbh's in 2017), Reds would hope to tap back into that. I think we know what Simmons brings to the defensive end of things. He may be past his prime but he'll still be very good and a steady presence wherever he lands.

Obviously it depends on the price, but I'd be happy with Simmons on a reasonable 2-year deal.
    But Simmons’ offense declined the last two seasons. A .673 and .702 OPS last two years. One can hope for - but not count on - a meaningful offensive contribution from him.

His defense would be a wonderful addition, not unimportant with the current group. I won’t dispute that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-30-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But Simmons’ offense declined the last two seasons. A .673 and .702 OPS last two years. One can hope for - but not count on - a meaningful offensive contribution from him.

His defense would be a wonderful addition, not unimportant with the current group. But other choices are better all around at this stage.
    Obviously the choices are better. But as you know, Reds are in the poor house. I'll be surprised if they sign a single FA above the league minimum this offseason.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (12-01-2020)

Obviously the choices are better. But as you know, Reds are in the poor house. I'll be surprised if they sign a single FA above the league minimum this offseason.
    Agree. And I’m not a fan of trading good kids for a one-year shortstop.

My hope is that if salaries are depressed Didi becomes realistic. First choice.

If not, we could see Semien (had one big year) or Simmons (massive upgrade defensively).

Turn Off Ads?