Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Re: Morosi: Reds prioritizing the addition of a shortstop

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Apparently there was an unpublished alternate history where the Indians sent Bauer to the Reds because they're altruists.
    apparently there was this thing called a 3-team trade and the only reason the reds got trevor bauer is because they were willing to give up taylor trammell. stop being obtuse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I live in Cleveland. When this trade went down it was all about Puig and Reyes. Francona came out and talked about how excited they were to get Puig and considered him a main part of their offense down the stretch run (plugged him in at cleanup immediately). The cleveland media, front office, players, etc were all talking about Puig. He was absolutely not a throw-in.
    kind of like how the reds (fans, coaches, front office, media, everyone) fell in love with puig right away. then the warts start to quickly show up. then the indians' front office proves exactly how much they coveted puig by not even trying to sign him to an extension.

the fact of the matter is that if puig was unavailable in that 3-team deal, the trade would have still got done. the main pieces were all in place. the best players the indians got in that trade were from the padres, not the reds (which M2 apparently is just learning). taylor trammell is the only reason the reds got trevor bauer.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    i'm surprised the GM didn't come out and say: "this guy we just traded for sucks."

of course he's going to talk up puig right after the trade. what else is he going to say? seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    apparently there was this thing called a 3-team trade and the only reason the reds got trevor bauer is because they were willing to give up taylor trammell. stop being obtuse.
    Obviously the Indians were over the moon about Franmil Reyes.

And Taylor Trammell was posting a .686 OPS in AA. So clearly he's a stud.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

i'm surprised the GM didn't come out and say: "this guy we just traded for sucks."

of course he's going to talk up puig right after the trade. what else is he going to say? seriously.
    And then they hit him cleanup the rest of the season just to be polite.

they actually like reyes quite a bit in cleveland, and there is no question he was a much bigger part of the trade from their perspective than the throw-in that was puig. reyes is just 25 years old. in 2019 at the age of 24, he hit 37 HRs with the padres/indians combined, and posted an .820 OPS. he batted in the middle of cleveland's order this shortened season, and posted an .800 OPS. he's a huge part of their present and future.

as for trammell, yes, he was having a down season. but it's funny how teams judge a player based on his overall resume and not just a snapshot of 3 months. this might shock you when i tell you this, but taylor trammell was a top-40 MLB prospect at the time of the trade. the #2 prospect in the reds' organization.

but yes, let's downplay his role in the trade and talk up puig's.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 12-01-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Royce Lewis put up a monster 661 OPS in high A and AA combined in 2019.

He's a top ten prospect in baseball according to everybody.

do you even comprehend what you read? i wrote i wouldn't trade any of the top-4 prospects in the organization. mella was nowhere near a top-4 prospect, and he was the best prospect in the trade.

you just like getting owned. that's the only logical assumption i can make at this point.
    Who are your top 4 prospects in the organization? Asked you this pages ago and you evaded the question. High possibility we agree. Yet is it always top 4? Seems like the quality of your system would determine that and there's a lot of times a guy in your top 4 is way overrated (Taylor Trammell's name keeps popping up here).

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Royce Lewis put up a monster 661 OPS in high A and AA combined in 2019.

He's a top ten prospect in baseball according to everybody.
    He was also two years younger than Trammell. I think it's fair to say there was a heavy stink of suspect status coming off of Trammell at the time of that trade.

Who are your top 4 prospects in the organization? Asked you this pages ago and you evaded the question. High possibility we agree. Yet is it always top 4? Seems like the quality of your system would determine that and there's a lot of times a guy in your top 4 is way overrated (Taylor Trammell's name keeps popping up here).
    post #94 in this thread, back one page (page 7):

point taken. you are somewhat correct about the '15 royals (although their main pieces of that team were not 1-year rentals). that was also a 1-season outlier. the vast majority of small market teams cannot afford to trade top prospects for 1-year rentals. it's bad business.

ok, i promised to answer your question: my definition of a "top prospect" is generally-speaking one of the top-5 prospects in the organization. however, for the reds, i would knock that down to the top 4 prospects in the organization: lodolo, greene, tyler stephenson and austin hendrick. why just the top-4? because jonathan india is the #5 prospect and likely would be more like 10th in a good minor league system.

so, if the reds want to trade india for lindor, sign me up for that. but i think it would be foolish to give up any of the top guys for a 1-year rental.

too much internecine warfare just trade for royce clayton

they actually like reyes quite a bit in cleveland, and there is no question he was a much bigger part of the trade from their perspective than the throw-in that was puig. reyes is just 25 years old. in 2019 at the age of 24, he hit 37 HRs with the padres/indians combined, and posted an .820 OPS. he batted in the middle of cleveland's order this shortened season, and posted an .800 OPS. he's a huge part of their present and future.

as for trammell, yes, he was having a down season. but it's funny how teams judge a player based on his overall resume and not just a snapshot of 3 months. this might shock you when i tell you this, but taylor trammell was a top-40 MLB prospect at the time of the trade. the #2 prospect in the reds' organization.

but yes, let's downplay his role in the trade and talk up puig's.
    Franmil Reyes is a colossus that strides the universe and not a palooka who's delivered a 0.2 WAR for the Indians over 120 games. That's why the Indians hit him #6 while they hit Puig cleanup, because #6 is where you put your best hitter.

exactly that is why the reds should try to reobtain woody woodward

And then they hit him cleanup the rest of the season just to be polite.
    Because when you think guys suck and you get them for your team that's exactly what you do

17. Likes:

M2 (12-01-2020),Revering4Blue (12-01-2020)

Didn't see it. Thanks for re-posting. We've got the same list. So if the Reds can get Lindor or Story for not those guys, I assume we're on the same page, right? My general assumption is every organization is going to be tight with their top prospects, especially for a higher-priced one-year guy.

Quick note about small market teams: there's only about 8 of them (Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Kansas City, San Diego, Oakland and Tampa Bay - and those last two markets aren't really small). Until the Royals won the 2015 World Series, the Reds had been the most recent WS winner from that group. So what works for small markets is largely a mystery. Seems like the actual answer is either nothing or a radical departure from perceived norms.

Turn Off Ads?