Re: Eric Jagers named new Asst Pitching Coach

From Boddy

Kyle Boddy
    @drivelinebases
    ·
    1h
    Extremely proud of
    @ericjagers
    . Going to be a tremendous addition to our MLB staff. Has been one of the best technical pitching coaches in the world and he makes every team he’s on a heck of a lot better. #BornToBaseball

- - - Updated - - -

More on Jagers from Boddy

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    ·
    1h
    Kyle Boddy on Eric Jagers earlier this year: "He’s the best in the world at pitch design, technical capacity. That’s Eric Jagers. Anything that has to do with the technical side of pitching, he’s the best in the world." #Reds
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-01-2020),Gallen5862 (12-01-2020)

Jager bombs all around
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

bounty37h (12-04-2020),Chip R (12-02-2020),Coopdaddy67 (12-02-2020),Edd Roush (12-01-2020),Gallen5862 (12-01-2020),Griffey012 (12-01-2020),Jim (12-01-2020),M2 (12-01-2020),RedTeamGo! (12-01-2020),RichRed (12-01-2020),StRedlegs900 (12-01-2020),Tuff Nut (12-01-2020),WrongVerb (12-01-2020)

Did Eric Jagielo change his name?

If so, that's two assistant pitching coaches from the same deal.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (12-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Did Eric Jagielo change his name?

If so, that's two assistant pitching coaches from the same deal.
    as God as my witness I thought same thing for at least the first seconds after I read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (12-02-2020),M2 (12-01-2020),UKFlounder (12-01-2020)

The optimist in me hopes this is some sort of “Hey Trevor... we just got even more tech savvy” move, but in my heart I know somebody else will back a dump truck full of $10,000 bills (you know, the ones with all the US Presidents on it having a party... Jimmy Carter was passed out on the couch) up to his house and he’ll have a super hard time ever turning the money down.

But anyway, I’m glad to see that Dick’s departure has not seen The Reds abandoning their new found pitching analytical acumen.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    The optimist in me hopes this is some sort of “Hey Trevor... we just got even more tech savvy” move, but in my heart I know somebody else will back a dump truck full of $10,000 bills (you know, the ones with all the US Presidents on it having a party... Jimmy Carter was passed out on the couch) up to his house and he’ll have a super hard time ever turning the money down.

But anyway, I’m glad to see that Dick’s departure has not seen The Reds abandoning their new found pitching analytical acumen.
    It was probably Krall's initiative all along.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    It was probably Krall's initiative all along.
    It’s certainly a possibility... maybe Krall was doing 95% of the work to begin with. Might explain why Dick wasn’t replaced upon his resignation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It’s certainly a possibility... maybe Krall was doing 95% of the work to begin with. Might explain why Dick wasn’t replaced upon his resignation.
    That's been my working theory. The organization's entire M.O. seemed to switch right around the time Krall got elevated to GM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's been my working theory. The organization's entire M.O. seemed to switch right around the time Krall got elevated to GM.
    I'm beginning to wonder if Dick Williams wasn't just a public figure meant to take heat for allowing a relatively unknown Nick Krall to make moves without blame. For all I know Dick Williams saw Nick Krall as a genius and told him to make the plan and he'd get it implemented, until Krall had enough pull with the owners to let Williams get out of the way.

Kind of like Billy Beane and whatever Jonah Hill's character was named in the Moneyball movie.

17. Likes:

M2 (12-02-2020)

I'm beginning to wonder if Dick Williams wasn't just a public figure meant to take heat for allowing a relatively unknown Nick Krall to make moves without blame. For all I know Dick Williams saw Nick Krall as a genius and told him to make the plan and he'd get it implemented, until Krall had enough pull with the owners to let Williams get out of the way.

Kind of like Billy Beane and whatever Jonah Hill's character was named in the Moneyball movie.
    Seemed like Williams fumbled around for two years and then Krall emerged as the one with all the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Jager bombs all around
    Is that what we are going to call it when a Reds pitcher gives up a HR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I thought this was obvious. Williams supported the concept of analytics, but he wasn't as much of a "baseball" guy as anyone else in his profession. He was clearly listening to Krall and others the entire time.

Eric Jagers talks pitching.
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/eric-jagers-talks-pitching/
    We’re beginning to peel back the layers of metric-based evaluation. It used to be ‘high spin, throw up in the zone,’ and we found out that wasn’t always true, and that how you spin it is pretty important. Spin direction and true spin reign supreme there. Here’s an example for a fastball profile: An individual with much lower spin rate, but a spin direction closer to 12:00 — high spin efficiency/active spin — can achieve significantly higher vertical break values than an individual who generates a much higher spin rate, but a spin direction further from 12:00 — say, closer to 3:00 or 9:00 and/or less spin efficiency/active spin). We’re learning how little we know about the things thought we already had solved.

22. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (01-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    High praise for DeLeon as well.

Turn Off Ads?