Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Talking Heads Song

Re: Best Talking Heads Song

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    But there is a better way to describe their 8 albums:
    First two are Jonathan Richman done as new wave. Middle three are learning to funk out, first Brian Eno style, then African style, then universal (ie pop hits!) style. The first two of these didn’t move many units (fear of music, remain in light) then retrenched (Tom Tom club time) and Dave focused on being more successful, which he achieved with the third - speaking in tongues.
    The last three records are clear attempts to write mature but fun pop songs. The music is kind of interesting, but the innovation of the first five is clearly gone. The lyrics continued to evolve, as Dave grew in confidence. There are a lot of sarcastic diatribes that are very well integrated into the music. There are millions of young republicans in the 1980s that formed lifetime memories of college good times with Talking heads songs that tore Reagan and the GOP apart providing the soundtrack.
    I like where Byrne went when he stopped trying too hard to be angry (and, for the record, I love his trying too hard phase too). Where he landed on Little Creatures was the most surreal emotion is happiness. It's the unexpected endpoint of post-postmodernism. Joy is the most radical reaction to a chaotic and cruel word. And Byrne got there a decade early to an era that's still taking shape.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Betterread (12-07-2020),Redsfaithful (12-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm a classic rocker who grew up with the Beatles and the Stones and I didn't appreciate a lot of the MTV era music in the 80s. I just wrote it off as people trying to make wierd videos and not really music, so, even though many of the songs are familiar, I'm actually just now "discovering" the music of it all. The Talking Heads are definitely on my list of bands to dig deeper into. I haven't jumped deep into their catalog but I like the hits I'm familiar with. This thread probably will push me to move them to next in line on my list of Bands to listen to.
    Burning Down the House, which was in heavy, heavy rotation on MTV back in the day, is a terrible introductory song to the group. Took me years before I started to appreciate The Talking Heads.

(Yes had the same problem with Owner of a Lonely Heart -- it's radio-friendliness takes everything away that makes Yes a great progressive rock band.)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm a classic rocker who grew up with the Beatles and the Stones and I didn't appreciate a lot of the MTV era music in the 80s. I just wrote it off as people trying to make wierd videos and not really music, so, even though many of the songs are familiar, I'm actually just now "discovering" the music of it all. The Talking Heads are definitely on my list of bands to dig deeper into. I haven't jumped deep into their catalog but I like the hits I'm familiar with. This thread probably will push me to move them to next in line on my list of Bands to listen to.
    I was a classic rocker as well, but the Talking Heads, the Clash and WOXY opened my ears to new sounds. Really, one of the only redeeming things about living way out on the west side, being just within reach of WOXY when the antenna was positioned at the correct height and angle.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?