Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Talking Heads Song

Re: Best Talking Heads Song

I have nothing to add because it's impossible for me to say what song of theirs I like the best. I met David Byrne years ago at his art show at the CCC and was too intimidated to really do more than stare blankly at him and utter banal comments about his "awesome" art. Just another idiot to him. However, he was graceful and seemed genuinely appreciative that I came to see his art. What a great thread to check out on a day during a pandemic. Thank you all for being here.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-04-2020),RichRed (12-04-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I have nothing to add because it's impossible for me to say what song of theirs I like the best. I met David Byrne years ago at his art show at the CCC and was too intimidated to really do more than stare blankly at him and utter banal comments about his "awesome" art. Just another idiot to him. However, he was graceful and seemed genuinely appreciative that I came to see his art. What a great thread to check out on a day during a pandemic. Thank you all for being here.
    So cool to have met him! This has reminded me that I need to check out his HBO special that just came out, I spaced on it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    So cool to have met him! This has reminded me that I need to check out his HBO special that just came out, I spaced on it.
    I know right? I have not seen the special either- no access to HBO content. What really amazes me about Byrne is that he just keeps coming up with cool projects.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

A couple months before the pandemic I saw an excellent Talking Heads tribute band at the Agora in Cleveland. If you ever get a chance I highly recommend seeing this band. They just absolutely nail it and it was a reallllllly fun show. Tribute bands usually aren’t my bag, but my friend had a bunch of friends coming into town and invited me along and I figured what the hell. Ended up being one of the best concerts I’ve been to in a few years.

https://www.startmakingsenseband.com/
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    A couple months before the pandemic I saw an excellent Talking Heads tribute band at the Agora in Cleveland. If you ever get a chance I highly recommend seeing this band. They just absolutely nail it and it was a reallllllly fun show. Tribute bands usually aren’t my bag, but my friend had a bunch of friends coming into town and invited me along and I figured what the hell. Ended up being one of the best concerts I’ve been to in a few years.

Nice, I signed up for their email list, will definitely keep an eye out.

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

And then there's the Pink Floyd/Talking Heads/Phish fusion band, Pink Talking Fish.

http://www.pinktalkingfish.com/
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

11. Likes:

marcshoe (12-04-2020),RedTeamGo! (12-04-2020),Revering4Blue (12-07-2020)

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite but "(Nothing but) Flowers" is tough to beat. Just for fun, here's Guster covering that song.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Life During Wartime.

I'm a Little Creatures mark. So you could pick any track off that record and I'd agree with you.

Though, for sheer biographical reasons, "Swamp" is their biggest touchstone song for me. That song was magic at parties and dances. It made the children quake with delight.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

westofyou (12-07-2020)

I'm a classic rocker who grew up with the Beatles and the Stones and I didn't appreciate a lot of the MTV era music in the 80s. I just wrote it off as people trying to make wierd videos and not really music, so, even though many of the songs are familiar, I'm actually just now "discovering" the music of it all. The Talking Heads are definitely on my list of bands to dig deeper into. I haven't jumped deep into their catalog but I like the hits I'm familiar with. This thread probably will push me to move them to next in line on my list of Bands to listen to.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-07-2020),Revering4Blue (12-07-2020),Rojo (12-13-2020)

Watch Stop Making Sense, it's legitimately the greatest concert film of all time and I think it's the best springboard for getting into them.

19. Likes:

Rojo (12-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Watch Stop Making Sense, it's legitimately the greatest concert film of all time and I think it's the best springboard for getting into them.
    I caught them on that tour, it was a time

21. Likes:

M2 (12-07-2020),Rojo (12-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm a classic rocker who grew up with the Beatles and the Stones and I didn't appreciate a lot of the MTV era music in the 80s. I just wrote it off as people trying to make wierd videos and not really music, so, even though many of the songs are familiar, I'm actually just now "discovering" the music of it all. The Talking Heads are definitely on my list of bands to dig deeper into. I haven't jumped deep into their catalog but I like the hits I'm familiar with. This thread probably will push me to move them to next in line on my list of Bands to listen to.
    There's no bad way to dive into their catalog, though the arc of how they progressed over a decade is really impressive. They kept working more and more into mix of what they do, moving from sparse and twitchy to elaborate and bright.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I caught them on that tour, it was a time
    Can't imagine - very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    There's no bad way to dive into their catalog, though the arc of how they progressed over a decade is really impressive. They kept working more and more into mix of what they do, moving from sparse and twitchy to elaborate and bright.
    But there is a better way to describe their 8 albums:
    First two are Jonathan Richman done as new wave. Middle three are learning to funk out, first Brian Eno style, then African style, then universal (ie pop hits!) style. The first two of these didn’t move many units (fear of music, remain in light) then retrenched (Tom Tom club time) and Dave focused on being more successful, which he achieved with the third - speaking in tongues.
    The last three records are clear attempts to write mature but fun pop songs. The music is kind of interesting, but the innovation of the first five is clearly gone. The lyrics continued to evolve, as Dave grew in confidence. There are a lot of sarcastic diatribes that are very well integrated into the music. There are millions of young republicans in the 1980s that formed lifetime memories of college good times with Talking heads songs that tore Reagan and the GOP apart providing the soundtrack.

25. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?