Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bearcat Basketball - 2020-2021

Re: Bearcat Basketball - 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I, for one, would love to see UC in the B1G.
    I'd gladly settle for the ACC or Big 12. I don't think the Big 10 will ever happen due to Ohio State among other reasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    UC was in the Sweet 16 in 2012 vs Ohio State and in 2001 vs Stanford, so I have no idea where you got that from unless you meant the Elite 8. Basically, it sounds like you think any conference or program outside the Power 5 is a mid-major, so we can just leave it at there because we're obviously not going to agree on this one. Revering4Blue already summarized my thoughts pretty well other than to say the AAC has gotten as many or more teams in than the Big East, SEC and PAC 12 on numerous occasions in their short history.
    You are correct, I was thinking elite 8, but they have gone to two sweet 16’s since 1996. That is not a resume of a major program/blue blood.

I can get on board with revering’s post. High mid-major is fine. I think the Flyers are a mid-major, though. The only reason I can be persuaded they are a high mid-major is their arena/fan base, though. Their team is that if a mid-major IMHO.

To me, major programs can make a run at a national championship just about every single year. It would take a generational roster for Dayton or UC to even have a shot at making a run. Dayton had theirs in 2020 with Obi Toppin.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'd gladly settle for the ACC or Big 12. I don't think the Big 10 will ever happen due to Ohio State among other reasons.
    This is going to be taken as an insult, but again, it’s really not. The main reason isn’t because of OSU, it’s because of academics. The B1G has really high academic standards, it’s the same reason Gonzaga won’t ever get into the Pac-12.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is going to be taken as an insult, but again, it’s really not. The main reason isn’t because of OSU, it’s because of academics. The B1G has really high academic standards, it’s the same reason Gonzaga won’t ever get into the Pac-12.
    None taken - I'm a lifelong fan, but I'm not even a UC alum. I agree with you on this one.

You are correct, I was thinking elite 8, but they have gone to two sweet 16’s since 1996. That is not a resume of a major program/blue blood.

I can get on board with revering’s post. High mid-major is fine. I think the Flyers are a mid-major, though. The only reason I can be persuaded they are a high mid-major is their arena/fan base, though. Their team is that if a mid-major IMHO.

To me, major programs can make a run at a national championship just about every single year. It would take a generational roster for Dayton or UC to even have a shot at making a run. Dayton had theirs in 2020 with Obi Toppin.
    UC was a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament as recently as three years ago, so if seeds are any indication, they were at worst one of the top eight favorites. They were THE tournament favorite in 2000 prior to the Kenyon Martin injury in the conference tournament, so I don't agree it would take a generational roster to make a run because they were in the Final Four in 1992 and Elite 8 in 1993 (lost in OT to the National Champ) and 1996. Admittedly, despite how much of a regular they've been in the NCAA tournament since Huggins took over, they haven't had much success past the first weekend since the 1996 Elite 8 team, which is part of the reason they weren't dying to keep Mick. I root for Dayton, and they had a great team last year to the point it reminded me a bit of what happened to UC on that Kenyon team when COVID happened, but UC is in a tier above UD.

UC was a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament as recently as three years ago, so if seeds are any indication, they were at worst one of the top eight favorites. They were THE tournament favorite in 2000 prior to the Kenyon Martin injury in the conference tournament, so I don't agree it would take a generational roster to make a run because they were in the Final Four in 1992 and Elite 8 in 1993 (lost in OT to the National Champ) and 1996. Admittedly, despite how much of a regular they've been in the NCAA tournament since Huggins took over, they haven't had much success past the first weekend since the 1996 Elite 8 team, which is part of the reason they weren't dying to keep Mick. I root for Dayton, and they had a great team last year to the point it reminded me a bit of what happened to UC on that Kenyon team when COVID happened, but UC is in a tier above UD.
    I mean, you’re naming teams from the early 90s, 1996, 2000, and 2017. At this point it’s kind of a generational roster thing, which was exactly my point. The Kenyon team was absolutely generational.

I mean, you’re naming teams from the early 90s, 1996, 2000, and 2017. At this point it’s kind of a generational roster thing, which was exactly my point. The Kenyon team was absolutely generational.
    I guess that depends what your definition of generational is. It doesn't seem like 1992 (Final Four) to 2000 (Kenyon injury) was a generation apart. If, by your own definition, majors are teams that can make a run at a national championship every single year, that eliminates the vast, vast majority of college basketball teams.

I guess that depends what your definition of generational is. It doesn't seem like 1992 (Final Four) to 2000 (Kenyon injury) was a generation apart. If, by your own definition, majors are teams that can make a run at a national championship every single year, that eliminates the vast, vast majority of college basketball teams.
    You called them a major national program, that absolutely eliminates most college bball teams. Not everyone can be a blue blood.

You called them a major national program, that absolutely eliminates most college bball teams. Not everyone can be a blue blood.
    I didn't use that term at all - I said they're not a mid-major, which is what you called them.

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-13-2021),Assembly Hall (04-11-2021),Revering4Blue (04-12-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I would call the term "blue blood" a generational term.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    There are rumblings that it could well be Erik Martin as Head Coach with Nick Van Exel on his staff.
    I hope they do hire Erik Martin.

And then get ready for Tony Yates part II.

UC's AD is a joke. That would precisely be his kind of hire, and for all the amusingly wrong reasons.

(There's only one right reason. To win basketball games)
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I would love for Erik Martin to get the Cincy job. Most WVU fans feel the same. It is not that we want to lose him....but he is a great guy that has been loyal to Huggins and WVU that we support. My ONLY hesitation is Martin is supposedly like Huggins where off the court, the guys love him, but a no smiling in your face hard azz during those 2-3 hours of practice. Is that him, or is that him just being who he thinks Huggins expects him to be? If it is him, will that work in 2021 without the Huggins 900+ wins? Will guys respond to a 1st year coach with that approach?
    Last edited by adkindo; 04-11-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Mick went to WV? Hmmmm.
    rumor is he visits a billiards hall in Parkersburg every July and racks up.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I would much rather Van Exel gets the job. Dude is a winner, plain and simple.

I also wonder how intense Huggins is anymore. He seems comparatively chill these days.

And yes, if I was a WV fan, I'd hope the Bearcats hire Martin too.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I would much rather Van Exel gets the job. Dude is a winner, plain and simple.

I also wonder how intense Huggins is anymore. He seems comparatively chill these days.

And yes, if I was a WV fan, I'd hope the Bearcats hire Martin too.
    First, Van Exel is one of may favorite basketball players of all time....and I mean that, so I am not going to criticize him too much except to say if "winning" is in his DNA, he does not have a lot of hardware to prove it. Huggins is not the 2010 version, but a player still better have thick skin to play for him. Martin helps WVU big men improve....he would be a loss.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-11-2021)

Turn Off Ads?