Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bearcat Basketball - 2020-2021

Re: Bearcat Basketball - 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I would much rather Van Exel gets the job. Dude is a winner, plain and simple.

I also wonder how intense Huggins is anymore. He seems comparatively chill these days.

And yes, if I was a WV fan, I'd hope the Bearcats hire Martin too.
    I think a degree is a prerequisite for being a head coach most places, UC being one of them, and Van Exel doesn't currently have his. He's supposed to be on track to have it this summer, but from what I've read, he doesn't sound like a serious contender for the head job at the moment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Read the most recent Justin Williams article and the Jay Brinker column. Feel up to speed.

Curious to know, do most UC fans think running Brannen off was the right move? If so, did you support his hiring in the first place?
    Brannen should never have been hired to start with. Had UC done their due diligence on him to start with, they would have seen prior issues with him at other places, specifically NKU. UC will be better off with him gone, but the damage is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I think a degree is a prerequisite for being a head coach most places, UC being one of them, and Van Exel doesn't currently have his. He's supposed to be on track to have it this summer, but from what I've read, he doesn't sound like a serious contender for the head job at the moment.
    Assistant coaches are a bit of a wild card. Who knows, Martin might be lightning in a bottle. Endorsements from WV fans do lend credence to that. Brannen was a train wreck. It'll take 2 to 3 years of solid recruiting and reputation building to dig out of this hole.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Assistant coaches are a bit of a wild card. Who knows, Martin might be lightning in a bottle. Endorsements from WV fans do lend credence to that. Brannen was a train wreck. It'll take 2 to 3 years of solid recruiting and reputation building to dig out of this hole.
    Yeah, that was not an endorsement or criticism of Martin as head coach - I just don't think NVE will get the job due at least in part to the reason I mentioned. There have been some rumblings NVE could be brought along as an assistant if Martin gets the job.

With the transfer portal being the way it is especially this year, it should not take two or certainly not three years to reload. I'm not sure this would be a wise decision, but if the new head coach convinces some or all of the remaining three UC players in the portal to return, that makes things easier as well.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-12-2021)

The rumor mill today has Erik Martin being hired. And Tari Eason and Mike Saunders are both going to stay. No confirmation as of yet.

UC very well may get his right. And if the rumors are true that Nick Van Exel is coming as well, this is a huge win for UC. While not exactly a name with the younger kids, Van Exel still can walk on water for most UC basketball fans.

I think Cronin pretty much quit trying to recruit big name players. I think he used UC not being a power-6 team as a crutch instead of actually trying to recruit those kids. I think he got very lucky this past season, he had a 5 star prospect fall into his lap who started playing like a lottery pick in the tournament. FWIW, if MSU holds on, is Cronin on the hot seat?

I think they botched the Brannen firing, and should have done it right away instead of holding on trying to fire "with cause." Who knows if he was the right guy, but it seemed like UC was out to make him the fall guy right after the season ended.

Another rumor has it that Mason Madsen is returning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Brannen should never have been hired to start with. Had UC done their due diligence on him to start with, they would have seen prior issues with him at other places, specifically NKU. UC will be better off with him gone, but the damage is done.
    What were his issues at NKU?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Bring back "The Metro" conference...

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Bring back "The Metro" conference...
    I'm sure Louisville, Florida State and South Carolina are all very excited to go back to the Metro.

13. Likes:

Chip R (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm sure Louisville, Florida State and South Carolina are all very excited to go back to the Metro.
    They would be for football.

Yes, exactly what those programs yearn for is more games against Southern Miss, Memphis and Tulane.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yes, exactly what those programs yearn for is more games against Southern Miss, Memphis and Tulane.
    Va Tech?

Ah, I did forget the Hokies. But Louisville, FSU and VPI already have each other. And South Carolina has big checks to cash.

The Metro missed its golden opportunity in the '80s when they could have formed the first super conference with all of those teams plus Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, BC and Penn State (all the eastern "major independents"). It would have broken up by now, but it would have been cool for a short time.

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (04-13-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The rumor mill today has Erik Martin being hired. And Tari Eason and Mike Saunders are both going to stay. No confirmation as of yet.
    that is what some people that claim to be "in the know" are suggesting from the WVU side....that it is "almost" a done deal.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?