Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bearcat Basketball - 2020-2021

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Bearcat Basketball - 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Ah, I did forget the Hokies. But Louisville, FSU and VPI already have each other. And South Carolina has big checks to cash.

The Metro missed its golden opportunity in the '80s when they could have formed the first super conference with all of those teams plus Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, BC and Penn State (all the eastern "major independents"). It would have broken up by now, but it would have been cool for a short time.
    Meh, Miami wasn't squat. Just a newcomer and just in the football scene. Notre Dame is the BIG one they could have caught.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Notre Dame wasn't going with them. Miami was the best college football program in the country during those years. That's Howard Schnellenberger through Jimmy Johnson.

Miami played in a New Year's Day bowl game every single year from 1984 through 1995. 12 straight. Orange, Fiesta, Sugar or Cotton every single year.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 04-13-2021 at 07:34 PM.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-14-2021)

Here's a quick article I found on the idea floated for the Metro to become a super conference. I thought I remembered Penn State being part of the idea, but I guess they were already joining the Big Ten at the time this came up. If someone had the idea a few years earlier, though....

https://forgotten5.com/2017/08/28/th...hat-never-was/

6. Likes:

Assembly Hall (04-14-2021),Revering4Blue (04-14-2021)

Here's a quick article I found on the idea floated for the Metro to become a super conference. I thought I remembered Penn State being part of the idea, but I guess they were already joining the Big Ten at the time this came up. If someone had the idea a few years earlier, though....

If only we knew then what we know now.

UNCG's Wes Miller to take the UC job.

https://greensboro.com/sports/colleg...a8b1.amp.html?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

It could have been Miller, Archie. Nope.
    It could have been Miller, Sean. Nope.

Was it Miller, Wes? Yep.

Who is Wes Miller? I suppose those that liked John Bannon will like Wes Miller.

I am hopeful that he does a much, much better job. I have my doubts.

If they were going to hire an up-and-comer, probably preferred Gates, but I think Wes Miller is a solid double of a hire.

While I doubt he'd have ever got the job, the fact that he was a credible candidate for UNC (and Wake Forest last year) speaks very highly of him.

Hope he's great in Clifton.

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-14-2021),texasdave (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It could have been Miller, Archie. Nope.
    It could have been Miller, Sean. Nope.

Was it Miller, Wes? Yep.

Who is Wes Miller? I suppose those that liked John Bannon will like Wes Miller.

I am hopeful that he does a much, much better job. I have my doubts.
    Harsh.

I am good friends from college (30 years ago now) with two of my classmates who are die hard UNC fans who desperately wanted him to be Roy's replacement. Both texted me to say what a great hire UC made and that he was going to kill it here.

fwiw.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Penn State....or Paterno wanted to create the East Coast Conference with Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Temple, Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...plan-succeeded
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Harsh.

I am good friends from college (30 years ago now) with two of my classmates who are die hard UNC fans who desperately wanted him to be Roy's replacement. Both texted me to say what a great hire UC made and that he was going to kill it here.

fwiw.
    I think it is a good hire. If Davis does not succeed @ UNC and Miller has success @ UC, odds are high he would be in line for the UNC job.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Classy!

Name:  10349072.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  59.2 KB
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

17. Likes:

adkindo (04-15-2021),texasdave (04-15-2021)

Hope he fares better than Sean and Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Harsh.

fwiw.
    I'm a die hard Tar Heel and think he is a great coach and you guys got a good one to grow with. I'm friends w Hubert but honestly thought wes was a better option. Hope they both do great!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

20. Likes:

membengal (04-16-2021),Revering4Blue (04-16-2021)

I think Miller is as close to a can't-miss hire as you can get. UNCG was a mess when he took over, and he's done a wonderful job down there.

UC fans now have to be big UNC/Hubert Davis fans as well now, because if Miller does well at UC he'll clearly be next in line at UNC if Davis has issues.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-16-2021)

Seems like a great hire
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?