Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Sherman: Reds are “working hard” to trade right-hander Sonny Gray

Re: Sherman: Reds are “working hard” to trade right-hander Sonny Gray

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    The $155M figure you are using includes about $10M in other costs, like deferred salaries. Roster payroll is estimated around $144M. I assume this was the portion prorated. Also, revenue sharing would usually enter into this as well. Not sure if the Reds got all or any of that money in 2020.

As another reference, Forbes estimates many of these numbers as well. https://www.forbes.com/teams/cincinn...h=9f6f8593003c

They estimated that the Reds did $257M in revenue during 2019, and had an operating income of $23M. That was with a roster payroll of $119M.

When a business loses 40% of it's revenue in a year, that's very bad for said business (I know well, I work in tradeshows) and it must cut costs to survive. However, I do agree with the premises that they passed on the majority of those losses to the players...the math supports this.

Unfortainly, they will probably do the same thing regarding 2021 payroll...get costs under project revenue. That's what business do.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you could say that the rich owners (who I agree, suck) have some moral imperative to share their wealth. That may well be. But if that's the right thing do to, I don't think the top charity would be to fund would be our favorite baseball team so us first-worlders can be more entertained. Most of us here are better off than most of the world's residents, and the fact that baseball is a complaint of ours (vs. not eating or avoiding getting blown up) shows that.
    Good post, thanks for the corrections.
    We have teams claiming they lost over 100 million last season. I am super skeptical of this.
    Heck, even in years without a virus, there are teams that declare they lose money every year (regardless of payroll)
    If I remember correctly, John Allen said one year the team made a modest profit, the other years , he declared they lost money.
    I Am sure it is legal accounting. But it's not ethical to use that accounting to try to convince the fans that the team
    is doing everything they can to win, the sport is in dire financial straights, etc.
    That is the problem I have with it.
    No doubt, the teams raked in less money than they hoped, but did that equate to an actual loss (considering baseball income and expenses only)? I really doubt it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I forgot to also mention, the owners spent less on the amateur draft this summer. That saved them money too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4. Likes:

JFLegal (01-06-2021)

Glad to see Gray has not been moved, yet. I really hope they hold out for a super deal.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Not sure Reds will find the right deal in this market. Hope that means they keep their star players, even if it means going cheaper on shortstop and additional pitching. Worst thing is to feel pressure to make bad trades to save money.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not sure Reds will find the right deal in this market. Hope that means they keep their star players, even if it means going cheaper on shortstop and additional pitching. Worst thing is to feel pressure to make bad trades to save money.
    This seems about right. The small market teams are cracking open the piggybank and the rich teams are willing to wait it out. Padres were probably best shot and those returns were not overwhelming. The mantra around baseball seems to be don't trade top prospects. Reds should be competitive in central with current pitching staff and a few lottery tickets. Sign a stop gap SS and play with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    This seems about right. The small market teams are cracking open the piggybank and the rich teams are willing to wait it out. Padres were probably best shot and those returns were not overwhelming. The mantra around baseball seems to be don't trade top prospects. Reds should be competitive in central with current pitching staff and a few lottery tickets. Sign a stop gap SS and play with what you have.
    I’d like a couple decent relievers who should be pretty cheap, but agree in overall concept.

It’s just not the time/market to restructure the team now. Especially for a team feeling a financial pinch.

Weak division, patch it up, see how it goes. Maybe next year Reds can make bolder moves changing the team around.

The Reds already cut enough that they better be adding something before the season starts.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-19-2021),Old school 1983 (01-11-2021)

I'll just leave this here
    Possibility ‘fading’ that Gray will be traded

Jan. 18: Reds general manager Nick Krall quashed rumors about a supposed trade that would have sent ace Luis Castillo to the Yankees on Sunday, calling them “completely false.” Meanwhile, the possibility of Sonny Gray being dealt “might be fading,” according to MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal in an article for The Athletic (subscription required).

The trade market for starting pitchers has been fairly active this offseason, with Lance Lynn, Blake Snell and Yu Darvish being moved. Cincinnati has reportedly listened to offers for Gray, but he’s remained with the club to this point.

The 31-year-old is owed $20 million over the next two seasons, and he has a $12 million club option for 2023. Gray has posted a 3.07 ERA with a 10.8 K/9 rate in two seasons with the Reds.

Per Rosenthal, Reds owner Bob Castellini has instructed club officials to prioritize finding a shortstop, with free agent Didi Gregorius a possibility.
    https://www.mlb.com

13. Likes:

757690 (01-19-2021),M2 (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'll just leave this here

https://www.mlb.com
    I'm sure we had a ridiculous asking price of

*checks notes*

valuable players and/or prospects like in the Castillo story.

15. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-19-2021),CySeymour (01-19-2021),The Operator (01-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?