Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    For the 7th time: Sherman is a hack
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sherman: Reds are “working hard” to trade right-hander Sonny Gray

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    If they really are “working hard to trade him” you know the hypothetical return would be garbage. Teams aren’t going to start offering up huge packages when they know The Reds are desperate.

If this happens, it’s going to be a blatant salary dump. It will be about the final nail in the coffin of my patience for this franchise / ownership group.

Castellini is quickly becoming worse than Carl Lindner in my mind. Carl never made any bones about being cheap, we knew what we were getting. Castellini, on the other hand, wants to pretend like he’s a small market George Steinbrenner and blow smoke up our backsides every chance he gets.

I hate being a fan of Cincinnati sports teams.
    Castellini's not particularly likeable, but they have made some concerted efforts to compete. They didn't break the bank or anything, but they went for it last year. They acquired Bauer ahead of the season, then signed Castellanos (one of the best bats on the market), Moose and Shogo. Getting Bradley at the deadline was a win-now move. The Dodgers trade didn't result in taking on a bunch of money (or, you know, actual victories), but I thought it was a pretty aggressive win-now move. I like the Reds moves the past two seasons. There's lots of talk about Castellini meddling, but from what I know none has really been substantiated. The Votto signing, as long-term foolish as it was, was a welcome move for most fans. I think the managers they brought in have all been fairly good. Price obviously didn't work out (and they should have moved on earlier), but he made a lot of sense at the time. As did Dusty, and Bell looked good on paper.

I think owners are kinda like bosses. More often than not, you won't like the person. It's something about the authority and power.

That said, trading Gray would be some real BS and be a bad sign going forward. If Gray went, I'd imagine it'd be a slow tear-down, with Krall making every effort to get Castellanos, Moose and Shogo off the books.

So far, it's just non-tendering Bradley and some rumors, but not digging the vibes on Joe Nuxhall Way.

5. Likes:

757690 (12-05-2020),Benihana (12-05-2020),bm1475 (12-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    If they really are “working hard to trade him” you know the hypothetical return would be garbage. Teams aren’t going to start offering up huge packages when they know The Reds are desperate.

If this happens, it’s going to be a blatant salary dump. It will be about the final nail in the coffin of my patience for this franchise / ownership group.

Castellini is quickly becoming worse than Carl Lindner in my mind. Carl never made any bones about being cheap, we knew what we were getting. Castellini, on the other hand, wants to pretend like he’s a small market George Steinbrenner and blow smoke up our backsides every chance he gets.

I hate being a fan of Cincinnati sports teams.
    Had this same thought seeing the articles about Gray being traded. I prefer honesty every day of the week rather than false the bravado of Big Bob saying “ we’re just not gonna lose anymore”.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I long ago gave up on this miasma thats why I like to talk about Bob Lee Bill Kelso and Ted Savage

Sonny Gray might have more value at trading deadline. Teams are more desperate then.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Sonny Gray might have more value at trading deadline. Teams are more desperate then.
    Might not also, depends how he is pitching. Waiting is always a roll of the dice. No sure thing

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Might not also, depends how he is pitching. Waiting is always a roll of the dice. No sure thing
    In most cases, if you decide to trade somebody with value, just do it.

Humans are fallible. Performance can fall off. Injuries can occur.

I don’t favor trading Gray, but if that’s the judgment find the best deal and do it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-06-2020 at 02:12 AM.

All I can say is if they do decide to trade Gray, it had better be for an absolute haul.

He’s a great pitcher who seems to be very comfortable and happy in Cincinnati. He has ties to Derek Johnson and signed a very team friendly extension when the Reds initially acquired him. It’s certainly possible that his performance will begin to tail off at some point in the near future, but I haven’t really seen any indication that it will.

As a Red, he has thrown 231 innings of 3.07 ERA ball with 10.8K/9. Good luck replacing that even if you do get a prospect haul back for the guy.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-06-2020),Old school 1983 (12-06-2020),REDREAD (12-06-2020)

Assuming the reports are accurate that the Reds are looking to trade Gray, I have never understood why a team would ever let a rumor out that it was looking to move a player. I think Bob Howsam first decided who the players were he wanted to acquire, and only then considered who he would give up in return. In other words, I think he first decided in the winter of 1971 that he wanted to acquire Joe Morgan, then he made the decision who to give up.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Maybe other teams are the ones letting the rumor out. Or even Gray’s agent

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Assuming the reports are accurate that the Reds are looking to trade Gray, I have never understood why a team would ever let a rumor out that it was looking to move a player. I think Bob Howsam first decided who the players were he wanted to acquire, and only then considered who he would give up in return. In other words, I think he first decided in the winter of 1971 that he wanted to acquire Joe Morgan, then he made the decision who to give up.

I guess this comes down to dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I guess this comes down to dollars?
    If trading Gray and non-tendering guys like Archie Bradley are harbingers of things to come, I don’t see success on the playing field in the future for the Reds.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

18. Likes:

757690 (12-06-2020),BillDoran (12-06-2020),Bourgeois Zee (12-06-2020),Red Raindog (12-08-2020),redsfanmia (12-06-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-06-2020)

MLB owners reliably operate on the "give me a dollar or I'll eat this cat turd" principle.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Olney is reporting that the Phillies are shopping Zack Wheeler, due to a “financial crunch.”

It looks like we are going to see a crowded “sell” market this off season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Olney is reporting that the Phillies are shopping Zack Wheeler, due to a “financial crunch.”

It looks like we are going to see a crowded “sell” market this off season.
    I think there’s $100 mil left on that deal. Might see someone like the angels, Red Sox, or Yankees jump in and be like “oh hey, how about our 28th best prospect for Wheeler?”

Might see the rich teams start buying up contracts while keeping their best prospects and making the next 3-4 years just brutal for the cheap/poor franchises.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-06-2020),The Operator (12-06-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?