Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

Re: Covid-19, Part IX

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Not sure if I get the joke.
    You don't? After months of people acting like bars and restaurants would kill everyone, we have Chicago and NYC mayors arguing to open things back up right in the middle of the country's biggest surge.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    You don't? After months of people acting like bars and restaurants would kill everyone, we have Chicago and NYC mayors arguing to open things back up right in the middle of the country's biggest surge.
    Yeah, because people can’t stay home for a couple more months.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Why are you comparing an isolated island in the Pacific to a state, particularly one that receives tons of Americans (fleeing other states) and international travelers every day? The most comparable state to Florida is New York. But that comparison is rarely made because it shows the true level of failure by Cuomo.

And it's the entire package. The way Florida has administered the vaccine to seniors, the way it's allowed already in place hospital infrastructure to handle rather than an inefficient govt and ignored red tape. Or maybe it's how he refused to issue blanket lockdowns that would kill his state's small biz owners, something even Cuomo and Lightfoot both agree with now. What DeSantis has achieved he's done so by while keeping his state open and his people working. Everything about Florida should be the model.
    The vaccine distrujbution in Florida has been a disaster:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/fl...out/index.html

Florida seniors face long lines and a haphazard registration system to get Covid-19 vaccines

The haphazard rollout has led to dramatic scenes in the state. On Monday night, Daytona Beach officials announced that the first 1,000 people lining up for Tuesday vaccinations would be allowed to park and wait overnight in Daytona Stadium to alleviate traffic and road blocking.
    Then there’s this:

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/29/88455...-covid-19-data

In Florida, COVID cases are surging. It was one of the first states to reopen back in May. And Governor Ron DeSantis said his decision was data driven. But Rebekah Jones says data scientists were pressured to fix the numbers to make the argument to reopen.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/94420...data-scientist

Florida law enforcement agents searched the home of former state data scientist Rebekah Jones on Monday, entering her house with weapons drawn as they carried out a warrant as part of an investigation into an unauthorized message that was sent on a state communications system.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

M2 (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, because people can’t stay home for a couple more months.
    They aren't staying home. Private gatherings have driven this much more than any bar or restaurant that has to follow procedures.

It is almost like prohibition drives people underground.

7. Likes:

Todd Gack (01-16-2021)

They aren't staying home. Private gatherings have driven this much more than any bar or restaurant that has to follow procedures.

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying. People can’t stay home so they are going to house parties. The point is if people won’t listen might as well open restaurants and bars where it’s more controlled environment. I’m not saying they look smart. The issue is Americans are incredibly selfish and entitled. It is what it is.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

mth123 (01-16-2021)

lol "ISLANDS!" i can't believe that's still the go to

Every country is an island during COVID-19, borders have been closed forever. That's a talking point from last March/April.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

dabvu2498 (01-17-2021),M2 (01-16-2021)

People get together at their homes regardless of whether restaurants are open. Parties are not a sudden innovation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Why are you comparing an isolated island in the Pacific to a state, particularly one that receives tons of Americans (fleeing other states) and international travelers every day? The most comparable state to Florida is New York. But that comparison is rarely made because it shows the true level of failure by Cuomo.

And it's the entire package. The way Florida has administered the vaccine to seniors, the way it's allowed already in place hospital infrastructure to handle rather than an inefficient govt and ignored red tape. Or maybe it's how he refused to issue blanket lockdowns that would kill his state's small biz owners, something even Cuomo and Lightfoot both agree with now. What DeSantis has achieved he's done so by while keeping his state open and his people working. Everything about Florida should be the model.
    Florida ranks 32nd in unemployment rate and its COVID numbers are terrible.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Vaccinations in Florida have NOT been a disaster. I'm down here, and participating. I know. Yes, when they first rolled out phone and web signups, those phone and web sites crashed. So you know what they did? They went first come first served. People lined up for hours. And they maximized getting vaccines into arms. And then they went and started working on getting the web sites and phones working better.

And now, at places where it is first come first serve, they hand out 'tickets' and you know immediately if you made the cut.

In Duval County (Jacksonville) they have a weekly web site opening. I've gotten appointments for me, myself and a friend. And it works like clockwork once you are in the reservation system. In addition, they have 2 sites that are first come first serve based on your birth month working 6 days a week (using the tickets).

And now the first few groceries (Publix - they are big down here), have started getting allocations.

Florida's governor said the CDC guidelines to vaccinate young essential workers over elderly was wrong. And now the Feds have said yes, that's the better way to go,

So, they made the best of a bad initial situation, are improving it everyday. Which is why Florida has a higher percentage of people vaccinated than any other big state.

Better than NY. WAY better than California, better than Texas, better than Massachusetts, better than Ohio or Michigan.

And Florida's deaths per million people is rated number 26, so almost exactly median. (and better than that on average) despite having a very elderly population and a very Hispanic population, two factors that exacerbate the numbers.

More people want the vaccine than can get it. Until that problem is solved (around the country) people will be complaining. And rightfully so.

But Florida is doing overall a pretty good job.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

16. Likes:

redhawkfish (01-16-2021),Todd Gack (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Vaccinations in Florida have NOT been a disaster. I'm down here, and participating. I know. Yes, when they first rolled out phone and web signups, those phone and web sites crashed. So you know what they did? They went first come first served. People lined up for hours. And they maximized getting vaccines into arms. And then they went and started working on getting the web sites and phones working better.

And now, at places where it is first come first serve, they hand out 'tickets' and you know immediately if you made the cut.

In Duval County (Jacksonville) they have a weekly web site opening. I've gotten appointments for me, myself and a friend. And it works like clockwork once you are in the reservation system. In addition, they have 2 sites that are first come first serve based on your birth month working 6 days a week (using the tickets).

And now the first few groceries (Publix - they are big down here), have started getting allocations.

Florida's governor said the CDC guidelines to vaccinate young essential workers over elderly was wrong. And now the Feds have said yes, that's the better way to go,

So, they made the best of a bad initial situation, are improving it everyday. Which is why Florida has a higher percentage of people vaccinated than any other big state.

Better than NY. WAY better than California, better than Texas, better than Massachusetts, better than Ohio or Michigan.

And Florida's deaths per million people is rated number 26, so almost exactly median. (and better than that on average) despite having a very elderly population and a very Hispanic population, two factors that exacerbate the numbers.

More people want the vaccine than can get it. Until that problem is solved (around the country) people will be complaining. And rightfully so.

But Florida is doing overall a pretty good job.
    Okay, vaccines for Florida were a disaster, and they have now worked to improve it. First come, first serve, without an appointment was a terrible idea. I am sorry, but there is no way to spin seniors waiting half a day in their cars and spending multiple days trying to get through to make an appointment with no luck as anything but a disaster when lives literally are on the line.

Again, they were caught manipulating and hiding numbers, so there is no reason to believe anything that comes out of there.

Anyway, “overall pretty good” is miles away from being by far the best in the nation.

First come, first served without an appointment is a bad idea if you have other options. First come first served without an appointment while you work on a better system is miles better than not vaccinating people until the better system is up and running.

19. Likes:

JaxRed (01-16-2021),Newport Red (01-25-2021),redhawkfish (01-16-2021)

First come first serve without and appointment was better than the alternative. Which was not giving out vaccines. They have not been caught manipulating numbers. Just because some wack job accuses them of it doesn't mean it's true.

One again - Better percentage of people vaccinated than any large state. Median in deaths per million despite elderly population, better than average in raw numbers.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

21. Likes:

redhawkfish (01-16-2021)

It's almost like people are just idiots. We haven't had anyone eating in our home with us for 9 months. Its not that hard to control yourself. If you want to socialize go outside and stay apart from each other. Again, its not that hard.

23. Likes:

mth123 (01-17-2021),Revering4Blue (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    First come first serve without and appointment was better than the alternative. Which was not giving out vaccines. They have not been caught manipulating numbers. Just because some wack job accuses them of it doesn't mean it's true.

One again - Better percentage of people vaccinated than any large state. Median in deaths per million despite elderly population, better than average in raw numbers.
    Yeah, we better stop here. I don’t deal with “alternative facts.”

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    First come, first served without an appointment is a bad idea if you have other options. First come first served without an appointment while you work on a better system is miles better than not vaccinating people until the better system is up and running.
    Every other state had systems in place. Better systems in place. It’s not like this vaccine was a surprise.

None of this is from Rebekah Jones:

https://flcourier.com/did-state-mani...s-deaths-data/

With minor exceptions, Florida quit including long back logged deaths in its daily
    counts on Oct. 24, 10 days before the Nov. 3 election, and resumed consistently including
    them on Nov. 17, two weeks after the election.

The result: The daily death numbers Floridians saw during that time were significantly lower than they otherwise would have been.

Turn Off Ads?