Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

Covid-19, Part X

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Covid-19, Part XX

I rely on ZDOGG for all of my medical research needs.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

4. Likes:

M2 (12-06-2020),RedTeamGo! (12-06-2020)

That being said, I'm not skeptical of vaccinations. The ones that haven't been rushed through stages in months that typically take years anyway.

Flu shot? Sure.

Measles, Polio, of course.

And this one will most likely be fine too. But, wherever you stand on this issue, you have to admit that the manner in which this vaccine was rushed through the vetting process, sounds like the first 30 minutes of a Sci-Fi/Horror movie, right before the next plotline where they find out that if you are pregnant, get the vaccine, and then bring the child to term...

Seriously though... no skepticism at all with the process here? None?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

6. Likes:

mth123 (12-06-2020),RedsfaninMT (12-12-2020),Rojo (12-09-2020)

Well, for one thing, everything else has been set aside and there have been a ton of parallel efforts made by some really smart people using the latest technology. This vaccine is a different type in that it doesn’t use a live vaccine, but I’m sure this approach has been explored for years prior to this. Did it happen faster than any vaccine in history? Sure, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they were reckless.

I guess the alternative is to sit here and do this for three or four more years before they release the vaccine, but f that.

By the end of today, we likely will set a new high water mark on the 7-day rolling average for our national death total. We're now moving above the worst April had to dish out.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, for one thing, everything else has been set aside and there have been a ton of parallel efforts made by some really smart people using the latest technology. This vaccine is a different type in that it doesn’t use a live vaccine, but I’m sure this approach has been explored for years prior to this. Did it happen faster than any vaccine in history? Sure, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they were reckless.

I guess the alternative is to sit here and do this for three or four more years before they release the vaccine, but f that.
    I understand that these are the 2 options and that getting the vaccination is the logical choice of the two on many levels.

But yeah, I'm super skeptical. I would even expect them to try to cover it up if there were extreme side effects.

I guess it comes down to my belief that trusting the government to tell me what the right thing to do with my life is really naive and in this case, potentially harmful. They think seeing Obama get the shot will make me feel better. But I'd rather see Fauci get it, and either way, I'd guess it's probably staged.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post

That is correct. Nothing about these vaccines was actually rushed; they went through all the of the normal trials and passed them all in terms of efficacy and safety.

The reason vaccines take so long usually is because it takes a long time for scientists to receive funding and get grants approved for that - normally that’s a step that can take years on its own. Then same for getting volunteers to apply for the testing portion. And then, if it’s something like an infections disease, you have to wait for enough people to get sick or infected to get results.

All of those things happened basically instantly for the covid vaccines. For obvious reasons, they all received all of the funding they needed right away, the trials got all of their volunteers signed up within a couple weeks, and covid spreads fast enough that there was not a huge waiting period to get results back.

That’s why these vaccines had such a quick turnaround. That and some of these teams already had a head start working on mRNA vaccines or vaccines for other coronaviruses like MERS or the first SARS. But nothing about these was actually rushed.

11. Likes:

757690 (12-06-2020),M2 (12-06-2020),NachoMan (12-06-2020),Redsfaithful (12-06-2020),RFS62 (12-06-2020),Roy Tucker (12-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I understand that these are the 2 options and that getting the vaccination is the logical choice of the two on many levels.

But yeah, I'm super skeptical. I would even expect them to try to cover it up if there were extreme side effects.

I guess it comes down to my belief that trusting the government to tell me what the right thing to do with my life is really naive and in this case, potentially harmful. They think seeing Obama get the shot will make me feel better. But I'd rather see Fauci get it, and either way, I'd guess it's probably staged.
    Well, the government didn’t create these vaccines, and the scientists are the ones who are telling us that it’s safe. I don’t care if people get the vaccine or not, but don’t come crying to me when you’re holed up in the ER next summer.

13. Likes:

NachoMan (12-06-2020)

I'm very pro vaccine, but I'm never in a hurry to be first in line for anything new. I'm content to let other people work out the bugs with new stuff like new vehicle models, new phones, etc. I don't see a need to rush out and get this vaccine. I'll stay home and keep distancing until July or so. This is a new technology. Others who are more eager go ahead of me and if nothing has come to light by July or so, I'll get in line. I'm looking at July 4th as independence Day.

One thing that needs to be clarified is that this vaccine doesn't stop the virus from spreading. It stops people from getting sick but they still can spread the virus and all the masks and distancing need to stay in effect for several months anyway. Lifestylewise, there isn't really much to be gained individually by the common person by getting it first. The highest risk people need to get it to protect them, but it isn't going to protect society. Eventually, everyone will need to make a choice and society can leave all these inconveniences behind, but that realistically isn't until summer at the earliest anyway, so I'll just wait.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Rojo (12-09-2020)

Once the highest risk people are protected, society can generally go back to normal. Some won't, I'm sure, but I've never worried about getting it. Only spreading it. Once the high risk folks are safe, I won't be that concerned about spreading it either.

17. Likes:

GAC (12-11-2020),Rojo (12-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Once the highest risk people are protected, society can generally go back to normal. Some won't, I'm sure, but I've never worried about getting it. Only spreading it. Once the high risk folks are safe, I won't be that concerned about spreading it either.
    I see this point of view, but masks and distancing will still be required until we reach a herd immunity point in vaccine use. That isn't in January or February or even April. If it comes sooner, I may need to get it sooner than I'm anticipating, but I'll wait for as much information to accumulate as possible before getting in line.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Oh, I'm okay with the masking and distancing, but I'll probably get on a plane at some point in the first quarter and will be much more comfortable about doing things like eating at restaurants and coaching/going to my kids' games. And getting school back to relative normal will be a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Oh, I'm okay with the masking and distancing, but I'll probably get on a plane at some point in the first quarter and will be much more comfortable about doing things like eating at restaurants and coaching/going to my kids' games. And getting school back to relative normal will be a no brainer.
    I agree with that as well. I don't have kids for school to matter and I'll wait on those other things. I don't really miss them,. I'll probably take a few car trips with precaustions, but I've done that several times during this anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm very pro vaccine, but I'm never in a hurry to be first in line for anything new. I'm content to let other people work out the bugs with new stuff like new vehicle models, new phones, etc. I don't see a need to rush out and get this vaccine. I'll stay home and keep distancing until July or so. This is a new technology. Others who are more eager go ahead of me and if nothing has come to light by July or so, I'll get in line. I'm looking at July 4th as independence Day.

One thing that needs to be clarified is that this vaccine doesn't stop the virus from spreading. It stops people from getting sick but they still can spread the virus and all the masks and distancing need to stay in effect for several months anyway. Lifestylewise, there isn't really much to be gained individually by the common person by getting it first. The highest risk people need to get it to protect them, but it isn't going to protect society. Eventually, everyone will need to make a choice and society can leave all these inconveniences behind, but that realistically isn't until summer at the earliest anyway, so I'll just wait.
    Please correct me but I’m pretty sure we don’t know (didn’t study - it would be quite extensive) if the vaccine will stop the spread once kicked in, it’s not a definite no.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Please correct me but I’m pretty sure we don’t know (didn’t study - it would be quite extensive) if the vaccine will stop the spread once kicked in, it’s not a definite no.
    Fauci said differently the other day. Maybe he's taking the "play it safe" approach until we know for sure, but I think that's how we should approach it. We probably still won't know in six months, so the masks and all will still be in use.

Turn Off Ads?