Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

Re: Covid-19, Part IX

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, it's been crazy here. They shut down bridges and parts of the highway. The cops finally had to address it because there'd be 200 odd people watching guys do donuts and race
    And the reason they could get away with it was because the liberal officials here encouraged, not only constantly encouraged the protestors since March, but participated in the protests, including encouraging less funding (defunding, too, by morons who vote them in), forcing any available officers to waste their valuable time with the protestors while the rest of the city goes unprotected. Street racers had free reign and they took advantage of it constantly. With the overtime put in by the officers, even when the protests were over, there was no money left to have them patrol the streets, so they'd have to go home to get ready for the next round of protestors.

So, this new COVID strain, 100 cases in the U.S., one case is from a worker just two blocks from our house at the University of Portland.

Should a new thread be started for this variant that has the ability to spread faster than COVID-19 and is currently devastating the UK? With Portland's poor social distancing practices, this may get out of hand very quickly as it's predicted to be the dominant flu virus just two months from now.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ah, so you're sure that you can't die from it and no one you give it to could die from it.

Thinking like that is one of the primary reasons that nearly 400,000 Americans HAVE died from it.
    1 every 5 seconds in Los Angeles County.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    1 every 5 seconds in Los Angeles County.
    Minutes perhaps?

Speaking of LA county, headlines from pay-walled LA Times article, cautiously optimistic that new cases seemed to have plateaued over last 3 or 4 days. Hoping that trend continues into a decline.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    People are still driving during a pandemic but isn't it weirdly odd how driving accidents are WAY down this year?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...s-coronavirus/

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, it's been crazy here. They shut down bridges and parts of the highway. The cops finally had to address it because there'd be 200 odd people watching guys do donuts and race
    Very bad here, the things we see on E. Livingston would blow a lot of people's minds. And then we can hear the racing happening on 70 also. These things weren't nonexistent before COVID-19 but it wasn't anything like this.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Minutes perhaps?
    Probably heard it wrong.

We peaked a week ago, and are down 40K a day in the 7 Day Moving Average!! Today's new cases the lowest since Nov 5th. US is up to 14.7 million vaccine doses administered. I assume that is now having an impact.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

10. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    We peaked a week ago, and are down 40K a day in the 7 Day Moving Average!! Today's new cases the lowest since Nov 5th. US is up to 14.7 million vaccine doses administered. I assume that is now having an impact.
    Hard to imagine that vaccines are having too big of an impact so far. Not many people have had them and not enough time has passed for them to kick in. If you look at individual states or go further to the county level, Farr's Law seems to be pretty consistent. New variants could change this like it did in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I assume that Christmas and New Years are past us by a few weeks so individual family spreading events are not taking place nearly as much as they were.

The CDC updated their Estimated Disease Burden - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

A few weeks ago I posted that the CDC estimated 91 million people in the U.S. had COVID between March and November. They've revised it down to 83 million between March and December, coming more into alignment with the other estimate I shared from Youyang Gu (https://covid19-projections.com/), who estimates 77.5 million as of January 1. What's also interesting about the CDC's numbers is that they estimate 70 out of the 83 million people were symptomatic, which is a much lower estimate of asymptomatic cases than what we have been previously told in the media. They give this footnote:

"Since the previous update, CDC has received additional data about the proportion of persons with symptomatic illness who seek medical attention or COVID-19 testing services, one of the sources of under-detection accounted for in these estimates. These updated data indicated higher levels of health-seeking behavior than data included in our previous estimates. The higher values of health-seeking behavior result in lower estimates of infections, symptomatic illnesses, and hospitalizations than previously reported. CDC will continue to update these preliminary estimates as additional data become available and improve our understanding of the detection and reporting of COVID-19."

14. Likes:

M2 (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The CDC updated their Estimated Disease Burden - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

A few weeks ago I posted that the CDC estimated 91 million people in the U.S. had COVID between March and November. They've revised it down to 83 million between March and December, coming more into alignment with the other estimate I shared from Youyang Gu (https://covid19-projections.com/), who estimates 77.5 million as of January 1. What's also interesting about the CDC's numbers is that they estimate 70 out of the 83 million people were symptomatic, which is a much lower estimate of asymptomatic cases than what we have been previously told in the media. They give this footnote:

"Since the previous update, CDC has received additional data about the proportion of persons with symptomatic illness who seek medical attention or COVID-19 testing services, one of the sources of under-detection accounted for in these estimates. These updated data indicated higher levels of health-seeking behavior than data included in our previous estimates. The higher values of health-seeking behavior result in lower estimates of infections, symptomatic illnesses, and hospitalizations than previously reported. CDC will continue to update these preliminary estimates as additional data become available and improve our understanding of the detection and reporting of COVID-19."
    I’ve wondered if something was off with the asymptomatic count. Athletes included - we’ve heard of a ton of asymptomatic positives - I wonder how many really had it and how many faulty tests there were.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’ve wondered if something was off with the asymptomatic count. Athletes included - we’ve heard of a ton of asymptomatic positives - I wonder how many really had it and how many faulty tests there were.
    The list of symptoms is very long. I'm guessing you could have a mild case and consider yourself asymptomatic, yet if you have a headache for a day or a runny nose, you are technically still considered symptomatic.

I have a vaccination question -- the feds are giving out vaccines to the states who then give them to the smaller jurisdictions (counties and cities) -- but Walgreens, CVS and various medical associations/hospitals are giving out vaccines - are those vaccines coming from the state stashes or are there a separate distribution of vaccines for the CVS/Walgreen/other? (And I realize that some of the distributions may change as of a few minutes ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I have a vaccination question -- the feds are giving out vaccines to the states who then give them to the smaller jurisdictions (counties and cities) -- but Walgreens, CVS and various medical associations/hospitals are giving out vaccines - are those vaccines coming from the state stashes or are there a separate distribution of vaccines for the CVS/Walgreen/other? (And I realize that some of the distributions may change as of a few minutes ago).
    These pharmacies have partnerships with health organizations in the majority of situations. I know CVS and WalMart are working toward online clinics etc.. most though aren't fully out or independent

Turn Off Ads?