Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

Re: Covid-19, Part XX

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Fauci said differently the other day. Maybe he's taking the "play it safe" approach until we know for sure, but I think that's how we should approach it. We probably still won't know in six months, so the masks and all will still be in use.
    I’m fine with playing it safe.

Forgive the source article but this links to Fauci speaking in the matter and is what I could find. His statement is no definite, as he laces it with qualifiers like “might” and “not necessarily.” Just saying, it is possible the vaccine will cut down on transmission. We don’t know.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...measures-fauci

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it's that a critical mass of people have to get the vaccine for it to be effective at a societal level. We have some people here who work in medicine for a living, so they can explain it far better, but I'm under the impression that the payoff is the vaccine ultimately will create herd immunity. That will require hundreds of millions people to get it (and it sounds like there's multiple shots). So it will take some time before we've got the full green light.

I find it unfortunate that many of the voices (out in the wider world) that were pushing a fast-tracked vaccine and herd immunity have pivoted to being vaccine truthers, especially as we're about to blow past 300,000 dead (or 350,000 dependent on your accounting method). Medical professionals will be getting it first, which ought to comfort the skittish. I'm 268,700,001st in line, so it's going to be a while before they get to me.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Once the highest risk people are protected, society can generally go back to normal. Some won't, I'm sure, but I've never worried about getting it. Only spreading it. Once the high risk folks are safe, I won't be that concerned about spreading it either.
    It’s clearly a personal choice, but I would think that even young healthy people should be worried about getting it. We don’t know the long term effects of getting yet, and beyond that, many healthy people have gotten it, survived it, but went through a hellish two week period and have taken months to fully recover. I know a 25 year old woman with zero health issues who got it and wished she never did. She called it the worst two weeks of her life and she still can’t smell and taste like she used to.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I don't want it. I'm certainly not trying to get it. But I'm not going to hide from it for another six months, either.

6. Likes:

Rojo (12-09-2020)

The thing not being discussed here is that the same conditions that may make some one susceptible to Covid may make them susceptible to an adverse reaction to the vaccine. It seems like every medicine comes with some disclaimer. "Don't take this if you have liver problems" or "don't take this if you're pregnant" or "don't take this if you have hypertension" etc. We've heard none of those details about this vaccine.

I have reduced Kidney function. I live mostly a normal life except for limiting my sodium intake, but further damage would change that. Could this Vaccine do further damage? Until those types of details are made public, I'm not really in a hurry. A large percentage of the population is living with something that makes them at risk. There hasn't been any mention of any of that stuff. A lot of thiungs seem great at first. I remember when Zantac was a great thing for people subject to certain digestive symptonms. Now its linked to serious health issues. I don't think it's reasonable to wait forever, but six months seems like a short time to wait for the picture to clarify a bit.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

Rojo (12-09-2020)

I’m for whatever the hell gets the economy up and running.

10. Likes:

KoryMac5 (12-06-2020)

For most of us here, the side effects of the vaccine and whether it is working will probably be known before our place in line to get it shows up - and if it turns out from the first rounds of vaccinations that there are issues, we'll likely not even get it (or at least the first generation of vaccines).

12. Likes:

M2 (12-06-2020),mth123 (12-06-2020)

I will absolutely get it ASAP. Good lord anti-vaxxers give me a headache.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Youyang Gu's "nowcasting" has around 16.8% of the country having been infected as of Nov. 21 - https://covid19-projections.com/

I'm guessing roughly 25% of the country will have had it by the time the bulk of vaccinations will occur. And that may be a low end guess with the rate it is being spread. Obviously, there will people who will be vaccinated who never knew they had it and those who will be even though they already had it. But that's still (unfortunately) a significant start towards herd immunity. I'm around 165,000,000 in line. From what I've read, that means I will get the first shot in March or April. Considering how many people will get the shot plus those who have already caught the virus, and I can see a May timeline for things to pretty much go back to normal.

I've worn a mask the entire time that I've been asked. I can tell you this - the mask goes off in June and it doesn't go back on.

15. Likes:

redhawkfish (12-06-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Adam Weinstein
    @AdamWeinstein

U.S. DEATHS, PEARL HARBOR, 7 DEC 1941: 2,403

U.S. DEATHS, COVID, 1 DEC 2020: 2,473
    U.S. DEATHS, COVID, 2 DEC 2020: 2,733
    U.S. DEATHS, COVID, 3 DEC 2020: 2,706
    U.S. DEATHS, COVID, 4 DEC 2020: 2,563
    U.S. DEATHS, COVID, 5 DEC 2020: 2,445
    7:39am · 7 Dec 2020
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Wow! What a comaprison. We basically have had five straight days of Pearl Harbor. How sad too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

have heard that covid is more difficult to catch if you have bronchial asthma. it's true?

Here is how COVID has affected me.

1. Haven't eaten IN a restaurant since early March.
    2. I visit 2 of my kids and all the grandkids virtually.
    3. I wear a mask. a lot.
    4. My office door pretty much stays shut.

Overall, it hasn't really been bad for me. I do not feel as though I have missed a ton. I do miss the grandkids though. One had to be quarantined due to contact tracing. A kid at her table had a family member test positive. But she has presented no symptoms. But the schools in Texas have been hamstringed by our... (what's a polite word for idiot?) governor. and don't get me started on the LT. Governor that actually said old people should sacrifice themselves for the state economy.

no really. he said that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDiSantare View Post
    have heard that covid is more difficult to catch if you have bronchial asthma. it's true?
    A recent Israeli study shows that.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...covid-19-study
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

A few of my thoughts......

I'll take it as soon as offered. I volunteered for trials but never heard anything. I have a lot of the co-morbidities, (age, weight, lung issues), so risks of getting the disease are far more than risks from vaccine.

I'm hoping maybe January for me. I'll be 70 in six months, so should be moderately high up the food chain.

I love the suggestion one congressman made. Stimulus checks only go to those who have taken the vaccine.

Also approve of the idea of vaccine 'passports'. I heard Qantas was going to do that. I think more and more businesses will follow.

I've heard that Bush, Clinton, Obama and Biden have all said they'd take the vaccine publicly, once their place in the queue comes up. That's silly. If the vaccine gets approved Dec 11th, they should get it December 12th in a very public manner. To serve as examples.

I'd also be open to letting certain professions move up as long as they are not too big, and giving them the vaccine gets their industry going or keeps it going. Pilots and teachers wouldn't qualify, because they need students/passengers.

But people that work at meat packing plants would, for example. And along those lines, I'd count MLB, NHL and NBA players. Very finite groups, and the industry can survive without fans, as we've demonstrated. Take MLB for example. Starts in Mid Feb. Let's say 60 players and 40 staffers per team. That's 3,000 people and now MLB is good to go for the year. The numbers for NBA and NHL are even less. It's not that they are super important. It's just that's it's so easy to fix.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-07-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?