Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Covid-19, Part XX

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Larkin can correct me if I'm wrong, but surfaces are still a factor. Hand washing is one of the biggest ways to keep yourself safe from ANY virus/bacteria. As far as it being airborne, technically its not. Its a droplet precaution. Yes, when you cough it out of your mouth, it doesn't stay airborne for long, hence the 6 foot social distancing. Its a fairly heavy droplet, so it falls to this surfaces fairly quick.
    Both of those things are thought to be incorrect and have been so since like late summer, that’s what I mean.

It’s not thought to survive well on surfaces at this point, last I read there were not actually any confirmed cases of fomite transmission.

Meanwhile, it is actually thought to be airborne and doesn’t just spread in your 6 foot radius by large droplets. It’s also aerosolized. That’s why eating indoors at restaurants is so high risk even with social distancing, because it becomes aerosolized and can infect anyone in the same room given enough time.

Most of the public still believes that sanitizing surfaces and 6 foot distancing are the most important things in the world and that it kind of ends there, basically the common knowledge we had back in April or May. But there’s been a lot of new information added to that in the months since.

2. Likes:

GAC (12-11-2020),redhawkfish (12-09-2020),RiverRat13 (12-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Both of those things are thought to be incorrect and have been so since like late summer, that’s what I mean.

It’s not thought to survive well on surfaces at this point, last I read there were not actually any confirmed cases of fomite transmission.

Meanwhile, it is actually thought to be airborne and doesn’t just spread in your 6 foot radius by large droplets. It’s also aerosolized. That’s why eating indoors at restaurants is so high risk even with social distancing, because it becomes aerosolized and can infect anyone in the same room given enough time.

Most of the public still believes that sanitizing surfaces and 6 foot distancing are the most important things in the world and that it kind of ends there, basically the common knowledge we had back in April or May. But there’s been a lot of new information added to that in the months since.
    Yep, it’s why indoor dining and gyms need to be shut down 4 weeks ago.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-09-2020)

Canada has approved the Pfizer vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Canada has approved the Pfizer vaccine.
    What's faster than warp speed, eh?
    Last edited by M2; 12-09-2020 at 07:48 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What's fast than warp speed, eh?
    Ludicrous speed of course.

You teed that up for me...shoutout to Canada’s own Rick Moranis.

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-09-2020),Kinsm (12-10-2020),M2 (12-09-2020),paintmered (12-09-2020),RedsfaninMT (12-12-2020),RFS62 (12-09-2020),Roy Tucker (12-10-2020)

The daily U.S. death total cracked 3,000 for the first time today.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    as well as similar rates in white, black and latino populations.
    This is a curious observation.

All onboard the de-regulation express.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...to-try/561770/

In fact it’s unclear if the law will save a single life, especially when weighed against how many lives it could shorten. There’s no way to know, and that is exactly the point. The law allows pharmaceutical companies to provide medications to patients that have not been tested for effectiveness, and with only minimal evidence of safety. On the long list of ways the United States could improve access to quality health care—including affordable, safe, effective medication—nowhere does “right to try” appear.

It is rather a step in the wrong direction, but one that is easy to misrepresent and to sell as good. Typically only drugs that have been deemed safe and effective by the Food and Drug Administration, based on three-phase clinical trials, can be sold to patients. “Right to try” allows that process to be circumvented—though in news coverage this often receives a more congratulatory slant. CNBC announced that Trump’s signature would “allow gravely ill patients to bypass [the] FDA for experimental treatment.” As The Washington Post said, it “[gives] desperately ill patients the opportunity to receive promising experimental drugs that do not yet have FDA approval.” This is much the same as Trump’s own words: “These are experimental treatments and products that have shown great promise, and we weren’t able to use them before. Now we can use them.”

Hospitalizations Up: Covid Apocolypse.

Hospitalizations Down: More Apocolypse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...ates-dropping/

Many Americans take for granted that we can get health care when we need it. Access and coverage are real concerns for some, yet even the most vulnerable among us know that if they are severely ill, there will be an emergency room and a hospital bed ready for them. But now the coronavirus pandemic is distorting our system in ways that are affecting everyone’s ability to get hospital care.

The virus is beginning to overrun our health-care defenses. We saw something similar during the first surge, in April, when New York and other cities around the United States resorted to field hospitals and mobile morgues. But this time, it is happening in large parts of the country. And counterintuitively, the reason we know covid-19 is overwhelming the system is because of what might look like a good sign at first glance: The hospitalization rate for patients with the virus is dropping quickly.

Swedish All-Cause Mortality less than 2019.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ber-of-deaths/

What a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Swedish All-Cause Mortality less than 2019.

What a disaster.
    I can’t get behind this post. The year isn’t over yet and that shows that Sweden has just about matched last years deaths with 3-4 weeks to go.

From a link on that page.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ths-in-sweden/

7000-plus deaths due to COVID.

Let’s view the same site when it’s 2020 death numbers are complete and finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I will absolutely get it ASAP. Good lord anti-vaxxers give me a headache.
    Anti-vaxx as a blanket term is stupid.. I'm not anti-medicine, but I recognize that a lot of medicines are dangerous and pushed by pharma-pocketed doctors.

Suitcase Suzies:

https://www.drugwatch.com/manufacturers/pfizer/

Pfizer Lawsuits and Settlements

Pfizer faces a growing number of lawsuits in 2018 involving some of its most popular drugs. In the past, courts dismissed thousands of lawsuits against Pfizer. The company also agreed to settle cases over illegal marketing and health care fraud.
    Pfizer Settlement and Fine
    Pfizer set a record for the largest health care fraud settlement and the largest criminal fine of any kind with $2.3 billion in 2009.
    Source: U.S. Department of Justice
    Protonix

People are suing Pfizer over Protonix. Protonix lawsuits say Pfizer failed to warn about the risk of kidney problems. In 2013, Pfizer agreed to pay $55 million to settle criminal charges. The U.S. Department of Justice said Wyeth promoted Protonix for unapproved uses in 2000 and 2001. Pfizer acquired Wyeth in 2009.

Learn More About Protonix Lawsuits
    Prempro

Nearly 10,000 women filed Prempro breast cancer lawsuits against Pfizer. By 2012, Pfizer settled most of the claims for more than $1 billion.
    Chantix

About 3,000 people filed Chantix lawsuits against Pfizer. They claimed Chantix caused suicidal thoughts and severe psychological disorders. In 2013, the company set aside about $288 million to resolve these cases. One case settled for an undisclosed amount just before trial in 2012.
    Depo-Testosterone

More than 6,000 testosterone therapy lawsuits were pending in May 2018. The lawsuits say testosterone products caused strokes, blood clots and heart attacks.

Learn More About Testosterone Lawsuits
    Effexor

A federal panel closed the consolidated Effexor litigation in 2013. Lawsuits claimed birth defects.
    Zoloft

A judge dismissed Zoloft cases in 2016. Lawsuits included similar claims to Effexor XR. The judge did not disagree that Zoloft caused birth defects. But the judge concluded there was insufficient evidence to definitively link the two.
    Eliquis

A judge dismissed a group of federal Eliquis cases in 2017. Injured patients continue to file severe bleeding claims in Delaware state court.
    Lipitor

A judge dismissed Lipitor lawsuits in 2017. Women who took the drug filed lawsuits after developing Type 2 diabetes. There is currently an appeal pending.
    Pfizer Drug Recalls

Pfizer has had to recall some of its popular products due to quality issues and poor packaging. Effexor XR and Prempro are two products affected by recalls.
    Prempro

In 2013, Pfizer announced it was recalling five lots of Prempro. Prempro is a hormone replacement therapy drug. Routine testing revealed the strength of the drug was low.
    Effexor XR

In 2014, Pfizer recalled two lots of its antidepressant drug Effexor XR. Tikosyn was discovered in an Effexor XR bottle. Tikosyn is one of the company’s heart pills. Pfizer warned that the combination of the two different drugs could be deadly.
    Pfizer Scandal

In 1996, Pfizer conducted an unapproved clinical trial. It involved children with meningitis in Nigeria, CBS News reported. The trials led to the deaths of 11 children. Dozens more were left disabled.
    Pfizer’s Unapproved Clinical Trial
    The unauthorized trial involved tests on 200 children with Pfizer's antibiotic Trovan.
    Source: BBC News

Trovan is a drug severely restricted in use because of its potential to cause liver damage. Injury to the liver as a result of taking Trovan can lead to liver failure and death.

In 2011, Pfizer paid $700,000 to four families who lost children during the Trovan trials.

In addition, the company set up a $35 million fund for those affected by Trovan. Pfizer also agreed to sponsor health projects in Kano, Nigeria.
    Last edited by Rojo; 12-09-2020 at 10:48 PM.

I can’t get behind this post. The year isn’t over yet and that shows that Sweden has just about matched last years deaths with 3-4 weeks to go.

From a link on that page.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ths-in-sweden/

7000-plus deaths due to COVID.

Let’s view the same site when it’s 2020 death numbers are complete and finalized.
    The early spring deaths of people who weren't long for this world mean less deaths late in the year.

I mean it's terrible that people didn't get that extra six months.

What's also terrible is traumatiing chlldren and youth.

Name:  face-mask-babies.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  54.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The early spring deaths of people who weren't long for this world mean less deaths late in the year.

I mean it's terrible that people didn't get that extra six months.

What's also terrible is traumatiing chlldren and youth.

Name:  face-mask-babies.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  54.1 KB
    I’m willing to listen to an argument of “years lost” of the actual dead versus any other consequences of things. But that’s not what your post above showed at all. It was just the death count of Sweden in 2020 to-date vs the 2019 to total death count.

I’m willing to listen to an argument of “years lost” of the actual dead versus any other consequences of things. But that’s not what your post above showed at all. It was just the death count of Sweden in 2020 to-date vs the 2019 to total death count.
    It's not years lost, it's months lost.

I mean say, a elder-killing flu hits in January instead of December, shouldn't we consider that when comparing years?
    Last edited by Rojo; 12-10-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Turn Off Ads?