Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

Re: Covid-19, Part XX

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Stimulus checks only go to those who have taken the vaccine.
    I'm down with that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-09-2020),dubc47834 (12-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting to see the shuffling beginning with countries and the vaccine rollout. There’s been a lot of hesitancy but it seems like now it’s gonna be full systems go in a week or two...counties don’t want left behind.

I read an interview with Scott Gottlieb and an interesting point was raised. It looks like the plan will be to give half of the 50,000,000 doses in December once we get them and save the other half for a second dose. Gottlieb believes we should go ahead and use all 50,000,000 doses and trust that the supply chain holds out to deliver the second dose in time because even one dose provides some protection.

Gottlieb also said something I alluded to in earlier post - once we get half of the country vaccinated, we will see a steep decline of the virus. He believes 100,000,000 Americans will have had the virus before we get to that point.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 12-08-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Vaccines are being administered in the UK today. Hopefully in one more week it's the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Vaccines are being administered in the UK today. Hopefully in one more week it's the U.S.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/08/fda-...-concerns.html

FDA is meeting Thursday, should approve it and could start as early as next week.

CLEAR, the airport security pass, is doing something called Health Pass:

https://vitalvegas.com/health-pass-i...nd-nightclubs/

I've had TSA pre-check but never messed with this so I don't actually know much about them.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

This is a Twitter thread from a doctor at one of the major hospitals near me. Lays out the current situation fairly directly.

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/stat...89596863746052

Abraar Karan
    @AbraarKaran

1/ Been saying this for a while, but I’m going to say it again. Do not indoor dine right now. Order takeout. Tip restaurants. Support businesses. But I would not be dining indoors. Last night, there were no ICU beds left at a hospital where I work in Boston.

2/ Policies reflect many things— but they don’t always reflect what is safest from a health perspective. With exponentially rising cases, hospitalizations & deaths, high risk activities are high risk. Just because something is open doesn’t mean it is “safe”.

3/ Is this recommendation I am making fair to restaurants/ staff? What’s actually most unfair to them is that they are forced to remain open & send workers in high risk settings bc they aren’t receiving enough $ protections in a runaway pandemic.

4/ Don’t let anyone tell you this is abt “economy v virus”
    Wealthy powerful people are the last people that are going to be doing the high risk activities that they are saying are safe for everyone else. Listen to health experts- listen to doctors who have no beds left.

5/ What do hospitals do when they have no ICU beds? Great question. They either have to start diverting sick patients elsewhere or they have to start moving slightly less sick ICU patients back to general med floors to make space. Either way, system breaks down quickly
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-09-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This is a Twitter thread from a doctor at one of the major hospitals near me. Lays out the current situation fairly directly.

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/stat...89596863746052
    The public health messaging is kind of abysmal at this point, there hasn't been any change in emphasis with any of the new major information. Surfaces are basically a non-factor, but most people still seem to think cleaning surfaces and hand washing are a major deal. Meanwhile, nobody seems to be aware that it's actually airborne and that social distancing indoors doesn't make a difference past a few minutes, especially without masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The public health messaging is kind of abysmal at this point, there hasn't been any change in emphasis with any of the new major information. Surfaces are basically a non-factor, but most people still seem to think cleaning surfaces and hand washing are a major deal. Meanwhile, nobody seems to be aware that it's actually airborne and that social distancing indoors doesn't make a difference past a few minutes, especially without masks.
    I suspect it's because the entire pandemic has become a political hot button issue. Public good gets ignored in favor of narrative and what can be done for political power.

I had to take a survey at work to determine my rank for the vaccine, mostly patient facing questions to determine the rank.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I read an interview with Scott Gottlieb and an interesting point was raised. It looks like the plan will be to give half of the 50,000,000 doses in December once we get them and save the other half for a second dose. Gottlieb believes we should go ahead and use all 50,000,000 doses and trust that the supply chain holds out to deliver the second dose in time because even one dose provides some protection.

Gottlieb also said something I alluded to in earlier post - once we get half of the country vaccinated, we will see a steep decline of the virus. He believes 100,000,000 Americans will have had the virus before we get to that point.
    I glanced at a Twitter thread today where people who seemed to understand the test results were saying that you got a LOT of the benefit from that first Pfizer inoculation.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

15. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I glanced at a Twitter thread today where people who seemed to understand the test results were saying that you got a LOT of the benefit from that first Pfizer inoculation.
    Yep. 52% efficacy after the first dose, which is astounding for a two dose vaccine. 95% efficacy after the second dose.

There were worries among the medical community that the vaccine might have lower efficacy in select groups but the data shows that is has similar efficacy rates in men and women, as well as similar rates in white, black and latino populations. It also shows that it was highly effective in obese individuals and that it works nearly as well in the 65+ age group as it does in younger individuals.

Pfizer and BioNTech hit the equivalent of a biomedical grand slam here.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-09-2020),dubc47834 (12-09-2020),Edd Roush (12-09-2020),kaldaniels (12-08-2020)

My wife be getting the vaccine next week most likely. No reservations.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

19. Likes:

Boston Red (12-09-2020),cumberlandreds (12-09-2020),JaxRed (12-09-2020),Larkin Fan (12-09-2020),M2 (12-09-2020),RedsfaninMT (12-12-2020),RFS62 (12-09-2020),Roy Tucker (12-09-2020),SteelSD (12-10-2020),WrongVerb (12-09-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post

Never trust anything. If you have 50 million doses, then you vaccinate 25 million and save enough for the booster. If you vaccinate all 50 million and the supply chain fails, you're screwed. All 50 million need the 1st shot again.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

21. Likes:

mth123 (12-09-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Larkin can correct me if I'm wrong, but surfaces are still a factor. Hand washing is one of the biggest ways to keep yourself safe from ANY virus/bacteria. As far as it being airborne, technically its not. Its a droplet precaution. Yes, when you cough it out of your mouth, it doesn't stay airborne for long, hence the 6 foot social distancing. Its a fairly heavy droplet, so it falls to this surfaces fairly quick.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Turn Off Ads?