Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

Re: Covid-19, Part XX

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I came to see some quality information here and all I'm catching is conspiracy theories and people getting sucked into responding to them even though they know better.
    I see the phrase "conspiracy theory" in the media more and more recently. While I know the phrase is shorthand for dismissing a claim outright due to its disharmony with mainstream sources, do you really believe that conspiracies are impossible? Surely at least some conspiracies exist on which to theorize?

2. Likes:

Rojo (12-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Back when all this began, there was a problem with the official death count reflecting those who die "due to" and "with" covid-19. Both being placed in the same category. This problem was exasperated by a difference in what hospitals were reimbursed based upon what was listed on the death certificate. Has this issue been resolved? If so, how?

5. Likes:

Rojo (12-12-2020)

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I see the phrase "conspiracy theory" in the media more and more recently. While I know the phrase is shorthand for dismissing a claim outright due to its disharmony with mainstream sources, do you really believe that conspiracies are impossible? Surely at least some conspiracies exist on which to theorize?
    Yeah, you’re probably seeing conspiracy theories in the news more because a QAnon follower was literally just elected to the House.

AKA: Americans are becoming dumber and dumber and dumber
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    If you want a conspiracy to work, you better keep it to a select group of people. Conspiracy theories that rely upon thousands of people to pull it off are a special kind of lame.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Betterread (12-11-2020),Larkin Fan (12-12-2020),Revering4Blue (12-12-2020),Roy Tucker (12-12-2020),SteelSD (12-11-2020),WrongVerb (12-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    As for the vaccine, I'm as skeptical as anyone, but I will absolutely take it. After most of my fellow Americans of course. I'm low risk and not in a hurry heh.

Just wanna be sure!
    I’m not worried either. Like I’ve said, I’m healthy as a horse. Not scared of the disease or vaccine. The thing that keeps me up at night is persistently high unemployment and permanent unemployment over 10%. That would be pain we haven’t seen in over 80 years. I don’t want to revisit.

12. Likes:

GAC (12-12-2020),Stray (12-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And that pretty much tells the story. I think it's an unavoidable path, and the proper path to take, regardless of any further efforts leadership may try to take to slow the spread. Valuable lessons (I hope) were learned by leadership from the actions they took in the "first round". We need to continue our daily lives, fight for some degree of normalcy, while taking those necessary precautions until the above is achieved. And that is science talking.

On a different front ....

Last weekend my brothers and I got the scare of our lives. For the last 9+ months we've done everything to protect our Mom (92), and older sister (69), who share a home made into a double. My older sister, when considering this virus, would be at the top of the high risk class, facing mortality, if she caught it. For 40+ years, due to an auto-immune disorder, she has spent a huge portion of her life in and out of hospitals and clinics. She has suffered immensely to say the least, and primarily because of her immune system. She's only 4 years older then me; but the last time she was in the hospital the nurse though it was my Mom's sister. That's the physical toll it took on my sister.

So one can understand the huge precautions taken to protect these loved ones. Last Saturday my sister got the flu bad. They took her to the ER, did the test, sent her home, and it came back Tuesday she has Covid. I'm going nuts with worry. But she's going to be OK. She had that one bad day (Sunday), and as the week has progressed she has gotten better. She said she doesn't have any of the flu symptoms, they disappeared after a couple days, she's just really tired, weak, and wants to sleep all the time. There's no respiratory symptoms. But me and the brothers are keeping an eye on here (and Mom). Mom tested negative.

When I look back over the last few months at my "circle" of family, friends, and acquaintences that have been infected, what amazes me the most is the varience in symptoms. I've seen those with questionable/poor health, even respiratory issues like COPD, suffer with mild symptoms and recover .... while I've seen healthy, younger adults, while not hospitalized, go through hell with what they said was a really bad flu for a week or more. Just strange.

I don't say this to diminish the effects of this virus. But it's just encouraging, good news. My God! If my sister can survive this thing, without even being hospitalized, then that furthers my belief that we will come out of this. Just keep doing what we're doing as best we can. The people I really feel for (and pray) are those that live in, or near, our major metropolis'. With such a large concentration of people it's still hard to stop the spread.

Be safe!

As or the vaccine? I'm not questioning anyone's skepticism; but waiting to see scientific data - other then it was rushed - that support your skepticism over this vaccine? I took the time to look at what was involved in those three phases of the vaccine trials. And with FDA approval I'm satisfied and will have no qualms in getting it.

Besides, we're all so far down on that list that by the time it gets to us we'll know one way or another.
    They have said time and time again, that it matters how much of the virus you absorb (and your ability to fight them, and of course tbe various strains) pertaining to the severity of your symptoms. Can't imagine that there's a person left on this planet who hasn't taken in some measurement of the COVID-19 virus by now.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 12-11-2020 at 03:50 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Wait, did someone construct a silver monolith on the Non-Sports board?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

15. Likes:

757690 (12-11-2020),Revering4Blue (12-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's gone. So soon. So sad.

He will be missed.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

17. Likes:

M2 (12-11-2020)

Today we crossed past 300,000 dead. Third day this week we've topped 3,000 dead. And we set a new record for cases in a day, which means hospitalizations and deaths will continue to climb for weeks after this.
    Last edited by M2; 12-11-2020 at 10:40 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I guess now that I’m a senior citizen at the age of 68, I’ll dispute that. I have 3 friends my age or slightly older that were doing fine. No reason to expect their demise was imminent before that. All normally healthy. Should have had *years* left. COVID cut them down in a matter of 14-21 days.

Just like me. I am in excellent health, take care of myself, still work, and expect to be around more than months longer.

Same here. 67 and 1/2. I play golf and tennis several times a week. Walk-jog 2 miles daily. Your story just shows how little that matters.

My line of work doesn't care about the economy, the pandemic, nothing.

I had to go to Miami just about every week since August.

I've flown 5 times since September, back and forth to Houston, then driving on to Lake Charles, LA for weeks at a time. Going to Puerto Rico for a week on Monday.

I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode, playing Covid19 Russian roulette.

I don't think there's much difference in my situation than your son's start-up restaurant. If you're a business owner, you have some tough choices.

It's made much harder when you factor in the people who work for you who need to pay their bills.

You buy the ticket, you take the ride.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

20. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-13-2020),Revering4Blue (12-12-2020),Roy Tucker (12-12-2020),SteelSD (12-12-2020)

Flu deaths are way down...

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    He will be missed.
    I never got the opportunity to miss him (lol)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

We (my brother and I) are now questioning whether my sister has Covid or not. That doesn't mean we've changed our approach. Always want to be on the safe side. You all already know the very poor health my sister is in. No need to rehash that. But she had flu-like symptoms (chills and fever) only on the day they took her to the ER earlier in the week. They gave her the test, sent her home, and Sis said the symptoms were pretty much gone the next day, just weak/tired, but has gotten stronger as this week progressed.

Why are we suspect? Flu-like symptoms that were pretty much gone the next day in what would be seen a very high risk person (poor immune system).... this local hospital, to say the least, is not one many trust, and they've earned that reputation. But they told her she tested positive, and that was it. There's been no further contact with or follow-up by the hospital or anyone. I'll plead ignorance on this, but once you've tested positive aren't their certain protocols that kick into place that they (i.e hospital, etc) have to follow once a person tests positive? Contact tracing, negative retest, etc.

My 92 yr old Mother shares a house converted into a double for her and Sis. They are around each other constantly, daily, sharing meals, yet Mom tested negative. I'm very thankful for that, but it further fuels my skepticism that my sister actually has it. I guess when one tests either way they ought to ask for a copy of the test results.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-12-2020 at 04:38 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We (my brother and I) are now questioning whether my sister has Covid or not. That doesn't mean we've changed our approach. Always want to be on the safe side. You all already know the very poor health my sister is in. No need to rehash that. But she had flu-like symptoms (chills and fever) only on the day they took her to the ER earlier in the week. They gave her the test, sent her home, and Sis said the symptoms were pretty much gone the next day, just weak/tired, but has gotten stronger as this week progressed.

Why are we suspect? Flu-like symptoms that were pretty much gone the next day in what would be seen a very high risk person (poor immune system).... this local hospital, to say the least, is not one many trust, and they've earned that reputation. But they told her she tested positive, and that was it. There's been no further contact with or follow-up by the hospital or anyone. I'll plead ignorance on this, but once you've tested positive aren't their certain protocols that kick into place that they (i.e hospital, etc) have to follow once a person tests positive? Contact tracing, negative retest, etc.

My 92 yr old Mother shares a house converted into a double for her and Sis. They are around each other constantly, daily, sharing meals, yet Mom tested negative. I'm very thankful for that, but it further fuels my skepticism that my sister actually has it. I guess when one tests either way they ought to ask for a copy of the test results.
    Was it a quick test they gave her or a PCR test that got sent to a lab? Quick tests are much less reliable than the PCR lab tests.

Turn Off Ads?