Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part X

Re: Covid-19, Part XX

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Flu deaths are way down...
    It’s almost as if people are not spreading the flu because they aren’t going around each other but COVID is way more contagious and is spreading...
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

dabvu2498 (12-12-2020),M2 (12-12-2020),mth123 (12-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s almost as if people are not spreading the flu because they aren’t going around each other but COVID is way more contagious and is spreading...
    Also, peak flu season isn’t til January/February. If the flu numbers are down by the time we hit spring, they may mean something, but right now there’s just not enough data to be significant.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Also, peak flu season isn’t til January/February. If the flu numbers are down by the time we hit spring, they may mean something, but right now there’s just not enough data to be significant.
    Wondering if one of the byproducts of this is if, in the years to come, the expectation when you've got a cough or the sniffles is that you should be wearing a mask.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

schmidty622 (12-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Exactly, currently the push to get flu shots is at the waning stages since the peak season is post Christmas (with Christmas being the ultimate super spreader event) plus all the ICU beds are stacked with Covid patients and thus depressing flu cases from visibly being as prevalent as usual

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Wondering if one of the byproducts of this is if, in the years to come, the expectation when you've got a cough or the sniffles is that you should be wearing a mask.
    Or people could stay home when they are sick. We could use this moment to address the fact that some jobs don't provide people with sick days at all and others don't provide nearly enough. But I know that's probably not going to happen.

The flu was almost non-existent in the Southern Hemisphere, too.

9. Likes:

M2 (12-12-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We (my brother and I) are now questioning whether my sister has Covid or not. That doesn't mean we've changed our approach. Always want to be on the safe side. You all already know the very poor health my sister is in. No need to rehash that. But she had flu-like symptoms (chills and fever) only on the day they took her to the ER earlier in the week. They gave her the test, sent her home, and Sis said the symptoms were pretty much gone the next day, just weak/tired, but has gotten stronger as this week progressed.

Why are we suspect? Flu-like symptoms that were pretty much gone the next day in what would be seen a very high risk person (poor immune system).... this local hospital, to say the least, is not one many trust, and they've earned that reputation. But they told her she tested positive, and that was it. There's been no further contact with or follow-up by the hospital or anyone. I'll plead ignorance on this, but once you've tested positive aren't their certain protocols that kick into place that they (i.e hospital, etc) have to follow once a person tests positive? Contact tracing, negative retest, etc.

My 92 yr old Mother shares a house converted into a double for her and Sis. They are around each other constantly, daily, sharing meals, yet Mom tested negative. I'm very thankful for that, but it further fuels my skepticism that my sister actually has it. I guess when one tests either way they ought to ask for a copy of the test results.
    When I had it thw hospital didn't do anything. She should start getting calls from the Health Department tho.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

11. Likes:

GAC (12-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Exactly, currently the push to get flu shots is at the waning stages since the peak season is post Christmas (with Christmas being the ultimate super spreader event) plus all the ICU beds are stacked with Covid patients and thus depressing flu cases from visibly being as prevalent as usual
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-hemisphere1/

There is no influenza in Ohio right now. During a normal flu season, we start to see cases post-Thanksgiving. We aren't seeing that this year. COVID-19 prevention strategies such as mask wearing, social distancing, handwashing, etc. are definitely playing a role. That's a good thing.

14. Likes:

dabvu2498 (12-13-2020),GAC (12-13-2020),Redsfaithful (12-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    There is no influenza in Ohio right now. During a normal flu season, we start to see cases post-Thanksgiving. We aren't seeing that this year. COVID-19 prevention strategies such as mask wearing, social distancing, handwashing, etc. are definitely playing a role. That's a good thing.
    It's a good thing this year. It's a bad thing if people get the bright idea that we could avoid the flu EVERY year if we just....

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's a good thing this year. It's a bad thing if people get the bright idea that we could avoid the flu EVERY year if we just....
    I mean we probably could prevent a lot of deaths if we were smart about washing hands and wearing masks to the grocery store if we don’t feel well during flu season, don’t see the harm in that

17. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-13-2020),TRF (12-14-2020)

And if we kept kids out of school together, didnt eat at restaurants, didnt allow crowds at sporting events, didn't get have get togethers with people outside our homes, didnt travel, didnt work together, didn't go to bars, had no concerts, etc.

19. Likes:

jimbo (12-12-2020),Rojo (12-12-2020)

And if we kept kids out of school together, didnt eat at restaurants, didnt allow crowds at sporting events, didn't get have get togethers with people outside our homes, didnt travel, didnt work together, didn't go to bars, had no concerts, etc.
    Totally comparable to wearing a mask while going out into a crowded public place when you feel sick during flu season.

I understand it’s never going to happen here in the US, because of how incredibly entitled Americans are, but comparing wearing a mask to the grocery store while you feel sick during flu season to going to concerts is about as apples and oranges as it gets.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-13-2020),dabvu2498 (12-13-2020),M2 (12-12-2020),Redsfaithful (12-13-2020),Revering4Blue (12-12-2020),RFS62 (12-13-2020),TRF (12-14-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-12-2020)

Yes, because simple things like washing your hands and wearing a mask when you don't feel well equate to shutting everything down.

23. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-13-2020),dabvu2498 (12-13-2020),M2 (12-12-2020),Redsfaithful (12-13-2020),Revering4Blue (12-12-2020),RFS62 (12-13-2020),SteelSD (12-12-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Yes, because simple things like washing your hands and wearing a mask when you don't feel well equate to shutting everything down.
    I didnt say they were the same thing. WM posted some ideas people might have to prevent the spread of flu. I posted some others.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Nobody is going to ask for their lives to be completely disrupted again once this over. On the other hand, wearing a mask when you’re sick isn’t disruptive at all. I know that some people throw temper tantrums as if that were the case, but it’s not.

26. Likes:

Larkin Fan (12-15-2020),M2 (12-13-2020),Redsfaithful (12-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?