Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hacks

Re: Hacks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    To tell you the truth, I don’t know. Those companies and institutions face a long haul back to disinfecting their infrastructure and regaining the trust of their customers. It means provisioning out parallel systems and networks, working closely with all your hardware and software vendors to make sure they are properly patched, rebuilding your infrastructure, making quadruple sure everything affected is the correct version and revision level, and being absolutely scrupulous and diligent that everything is being done safely and securely. It calls for a lot of diligence and discipline. I know where I work, IT security is of paramount importance and from the C-level on down, we all own it and live it every day. I know the CTOs and CISOs will cringe at this, but if they've been affected by these hacks, they need to be totally transparent to their customers and let them know what has happened and what they will do to remedy it. Doubt and distrust are your enemy.

Where I work is one of the top 50 trustworthy companies in the US and we take that to heart. We scrupulously review everything we do, new systems, software, network, etc etc.. We constantly train up people and keep them fresh. We regularly run red team blue team exercises. We hire ethical hacker consultancies to run pen tests and do everything they possibly can to probe us and hack us and let us know of our weak points. But any company worth their salt has to have this security philosophy firmly ingrained into their company culture. I'll tell you one thing, cybersecurity is a great area to be in right now. I wish I was 20 years younger so I could spend more time working in this area. I love doing it but I'm getting a little tired of the 50+ hr. week grind.
    There is responsibility that needs to fall on clients and users, too. Treat information infrastructure like one would accounting regarding safegaurds and auditing and fewer disasters would occur. They could probably be reduced by 80%.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So you're saying the Capitol Police are a bunch of hacks?
    An awful lot of anecdotal evidence that says they were sympathetic to, if not actively helping, the insurrectionists.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I suppose not the one who shot the woman or who were getting beaten (one to death) by the invaders. The leadership of the Capitol Police would certainly have some questions to answer if they weren't all resigning.

I suppose not the one who shot the woman or who were getting beaten (one to death) by the invaders. The leadership of the Capitol Police would certainly have some questions to answer if they weren't all resigning.
    I think the shooter was secret service - the guy was in a suit anyway.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

That was clearly secret service and not Capitol police.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Fair enough. Good to know that at least the Secret Service doesn't screw around.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/ol...son/index.html

This is the real stuff to worry about when pondering how much access to our infrastructure China Russia, etc now possesses.

What happens when they don't get caught?

It's so easy to just think, out of sight, out of mind. It's kind of like covid I guess. Sure we were breached but the problem is so massively dangerous that it's probably better to just pretend it never happened.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Silly me, I thought someone actually did start a thread about Jon Heyman being a hack, as was alluded to on the ORG.

Movin’ on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/ol...son/index.html

This is the real stuff to worry about when pondering how much access to our infrastructure China Russia, etc now possesses.

What happens when they don't get caught?

It's so easy to just think, out of sight, out of mind. It's kind of like covid I guess. Sure we were breached but the problem is so massively dangerous that it's probably better to just pretend it never happened.

I agree. Every time I drive past our local water treatment plant with it's flimsy fence and the complete cover of being tucked up against the Hoosier National Forest, it occurs to me that we are very vulnerable. On a related note, my hobby is sailing and I have this long term idea that I'll sail away from sight of land at some point in the future. Friends who have done the same all rely solely on GPS and I wonder about the wisdom of this choice. With a sextant, a good watch and a nautical almanac, one can place themselves anywhere on the globe, within 10 nautical miles. I'm teaching myself celestial navigation for the day when the Chinese or some other country hacks the global GPS. For the same reason, the US Naval Academy has also gone back to teaching CN. It may all be over caution, but a sailor should never be in a position where a single point of failure (like your own electrical system failing) can leave them unknowing where a lee shore is located.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?