Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacks

Hacks

My day job is IT security. We can use this thread for hacks we all should be aware of.

US agencies hacked in months long global cyberspying campaign
    https://apnews.com/article/us-agenci...a72f8c85209b72

Russian Hackers Broke Into Federal Agencies, U.S. Officials Suspect
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/u...-commerce.html

Solar Winds, Probably Hacked by Russia, Serves White House, Pentagon, NASA
    https://www.newsweek.com/solar-winds...n-nasa-1554447

White House acknowledges reports of cyberattack on U.S. Treasury by foreign government
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/13/cybe...vernment-.html
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-15-2020),GAC (12-15-2020),goreds2 (12-21-2020),Larkin Fan (12-14-2020),RFS62 (12-17-2020),westofyou (12-14-2020),WrongVerb (12-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Re: Hacks

Remember when Trump wanted to start a joint cyber security effort with Russia?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

There's the hacks one can talk about and there's the hacks one cannot.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Remember when Trump wanted to start a joint cyber security effort with Russia?
    If you can't beat them, join them?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

So... this isn't the place where I learn that I can use the end of my chopsticks as a holder or use shaving cream to clean off a mirror?

Bummer.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (01-05-2021),M2 (12-17-2020)

You should just assume all of your info is out there and adjust accordingly. That means two-factor authentication and anything else you can do to personalize your login processes.

All of your information, physical appearance, preferences, friends, financial info, etc. It's all out there on the Dark Web somewhere. Or in a Law Enforcement database. Or a million other places.

Being old enough to have been an adult as the internet washed over us, I admit I never thought the price would be our privacy.

But here we are.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

11. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-15-2020),Stray (01-05-2021),WrongVerb (12-15-2020)

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    You should just assume all of your info is out there and adjust accordingly. That means two-factor authentication and anything else you can do to personalize your login processes.

All of your information, physical appearance, preferences, friends, financial info, etc. It's all out there on the Dark Web somewhere. Or in a Law Enforcement database. Or a million other places.

Being old enough to have been an adult as the internet washed over us, I admit I never thought the price would be our privacy.

But here we are.
    I have fought tooth and nail from Day 1 to evade and hide from those who mean to do harm in this area. It took years for me just to convince companies to keep a second set of data off-site and not linked to their main terminals, updated weekly, so at most, you are subject to only one week of lost data. Trying to convince corporations of the need for security was difficult enough. Convince educational institutions? Public, forget about it. Private, possibly. Convince government agencies? Almost non-existent, except for maybe NASA, who understood the need for security. NASA refused to trust U.S. government systems and wouldn't link up with them. Violating Federal laws mandated in 1995, they refused to use Microsoft for anything.

Yes. The lack of protection is mind-boggling, though so much better than it used to be only because so many had to pay a hefty price to learn the hard way.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 12-15-2020 at 03:07 PM.

I will say the sophistication and arrogance of cyber attacks has ratcheted up in the last quarter. We’ve had our hands full.

Pretty good article that goes into a fair amount of detail about Cozy Bear and how they did what they did.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...hackers/?amp=1

Another good read on the Solarwinds hack.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/12/...ds-compromise/

It also has a partial listing of customer companies and organizations. All I can say is yikes.

- more than 425 of the U.S. Fortune 500
    -all ten of the top ten US telecommunications companies
    -all five branches of the U.S. military
    -all five of the top five U.S. accounting firms
    -the Pentagon
    -the State Department
    -the National Security Agency
    -the Department of Justice
    -The White House.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 12-17-2020 at 10:51 AM.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-17-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

U.S. Cyber Agency: Computer Hack Poses 'Grave Risk'

The U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency on Thursday delivered an ominous warning about a major computer intrusion, saying it "poses a grave risk" to federal, state and local governments as well as private companies and organizations.

The Trump administration had said relatively little since the hack on government computers at multiple agencies was first announced last weekend.

But the CISA, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security, offered a broad overview in its latest comments. The agency noted the attack began around March and is still ongoing — meaning the malware that's been placed on computers may still be capturing valuable information.

In addition, CISA said that removing the malware will be "highly complex and challenging for organizations."
    - - - Updated - - -

NPR
    @NPR

So far, the list of U.S. government entities affected by the massive hack includes:

• the Commerce Department
    • Department of Homeland Security
    • the Pentagon
    • the Treasury Department
    • the Postal Service
    • the National Institutes of Health
    trib.al/5HpeoPN
    12:56pm · 17 Dec 2020
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Another good read on the Solarwinds hack.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/12/...ds-compromise/

It also has a partial listing of customer companies and organizations. All I can say is yikes.

- more than 425 of the U.S. Fortune 500
    -all ten of the top ten US telecommunications companies
    -all five branches of the U.S. military
    -all five of the top five U.S. accounting firms
    -the Pentagon
    -the State Department
    -the National Security Agency
    -the Department of Justice
    -The White House.

Wow. He was right. I'm really getting tired of all the winning.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Name:  DA33CACA-191B-4262-99EF-B7E0D37E88AC.png
Views: 250
Size:  238.1 KBName:  DA33CACA-191B-4262-99EF-B7E0D37E88AC.png
Views: 250
Size:  238.1 KB

Turn Off Ads?