Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Didi

Re: Didi

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm 1,000,000% all right with that. And Suarez wouldn't be traded for Didi because Didi is a FA. So Suarez could be bringing back a RH bat.

Again, you're not factoring in the return for Suarez. So they'd probably get a CF or 2B in exchange for Geno. Victor Robles has been the name attached in the most public Suarez rumor. That would free up Senzel to move back to the IF. I'd move Senzel to 3B and keep Moustakas at 2B. First, Moustakas now has far more experience at 2B than Senzel. Second, putting Senzel at his natural position strikes me as the optimal way to unlock his bat. Third, If the DH returns in 2022, then Moustakas and Votto can share 1B/DH, freeing up 2B for Didi and SS for Garcia (and Senzel's already at 3B).

Anyway, main point is the Suarez trade (if they're doing that) likely makes this a non-issue. And if they sign Didi and don't trade Suarez then the IF is all filled up.
    First, I said “trade off.” Means one comes, the other leaves. I’m aware Didi is a free agent.

Second, a lack of RH power is a big deficit. Even with some RHH coming in the trade, few have Suarez’ pop.

Third, even assuming Reds get a major league starting CF or 2B in the trade, does he improve the team or simply fill a vacant position?

It’s not that Suarez can’t be traded but he won’t be easy to replace adequately. I’d hate to see him gone in a one-sided deal designed mostly to cut payroll.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-29-2020 at 05:11 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    First, I said “trade off.” Means one comes, the other leaves. I’m aware Didi is a free agent.

Second, a lack of RH power is a big deficit. Even with a RHH in the trade, Suarez is a major power hitter.

Third, even assuming Reds get a major league starting CF or 2B in the trade, does he improves the team or simply fill a vacant position?

It’s not that Suarez can’t be traded but I don’t believe he’ll be that easy to replace adequately.
    And your questions didn't account for the bodies coming back for Suarez.

How well would it work? No idea. Yet, for argument's sake, if Suarez went in the DC trade then potentially half the lineup hits RH: Castellanos, Senzel, Robles, Stephenson. That's plenty of RH presence in the lineup. It's weird that people get squirrely about too many LH bats (even when there's not too many LH bats) when the last 100 years of New York Yankees history have told us that is not a problem.

And agreed that Suarez would be a big loss. It's why I think they should extract a sky high price for him even if the theory of getting younger and cheaper with better defensive balance is a sound one. Wouldn't shock me one bit if Geno hits 50+ HR this coming season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-29-2020)

Second, a lack of RH power is a big deficit. Even with some RHH coming in the trade, few have Suarez’ pop.

Third, even assuming Reds get a major league starting CF or 2B in the trade, does he improve the team or simply fill a vacant position?

It’s not that Suarez can’t be traded but he won’t be easy to replace adequately. I’d hate to see him gone in a one-sided deal designed mostly to cut payroll.
    As M2 said, the return for Suarez would have to be very good and include a MLB ready 2B or CF for this to work. I also don’t care all that much about being overly LH at the plate. Most pitchers are righties and Moose is actually a guy who isn’t particularly vulnerable to LHP. It’s also usually pretty easy to find a lefty masher or two to fill out the bench on the cheap.

D
    And your questions didn't account for the bodies coming back for Suarez.

How well would it work? No idea. Yet, for argument's sake, if Suarez went in the DC trade then potentially half the lineup hits RH: Castellanos, Senzel, Robles, Stephenson. That's plenty of RH presence in the lineup. It's weird that people get squirrely about too many LH bats (even when there's not too many LH bats) when the last 100 years of New York Yankees history have told us that is not a problem.

And agreed that Suarez would be a big loss. It's why I think they should extract a sky high price for him even if the theory of getting younger and cheaper with better defensive balance is a sound one. Wouldn't shock me one bit if Geno hits 50+ HR this coming season.
    I’m doubtful Reds would extract a high enough price in this market. If Reds are dangling Suarez, their first objective is full salary relief. That would likely reduce the player return. As for Robles, he once was a great prospect, but not sure his CF defense compensates for the loss of a hitter such as Suarez.

On lefty/righty, with today’s bullpen usage, it’s important. Reds couldn’t hit lefties much last year even with Suarez, imagine if they were without him. Hope they keep Geno.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-29-2020 at 07:27 PM.

8. Likes:

JFLegal (12-29-2020),REDREAD (01-05-2021)

D

I’m doubtful Reds would extract a high enough price in this market. If Reds are dangling Suarez, their first objective is full salary relief. That would likely reduce the player return. As for Robles, he once was a great prospect, but not sure his CF defense compensates for the loss of a hitter such as Suarez.

On lefty/righty, with today’s bullpen usage, it’s important. Reds couldn’t hit lefties much last year even with Suarez, imagine if they were without him. Hope they keep Geno.
    I doubt they're letting Suarez go for cheap.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Adding a SS from outside the organization would seem to be imperative if the team wanted to compete next season.

If they're in cost-cutting mode, there would be no use to add one.

What they do with that spot will tell us quite a bit about their plan moving forward.
    I agree, a SS is needed for the team to compete.
    However, how good of a SS is really needed?
    I think the team would be better off getting a 2-3 million dollar SS and then using the rest of the cash to get bullpen arms, and/or a middle of the rotation starter. The team is really short on pitching now.
    I would definitely rather sign someone like Gavlis and use the saved money to keep Gray/Castillo/Suarez around (as opposed to signing someone like Didi). Suarez is a great bounceback candidate. They expect him
    to be fully healed next year. Yea, I understand we have too many DH types, but why sell
    low on Suarez?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree, a SS is needed for the team to compete.
    However, how good of a SS is really needed?
    I think the team would be better off getting a 2-3 million dollar SS and then using the rest of the cash to get bullpen arms, and/or a middle of the rotation starter. The team is really short on pitching now.
    I would definitely rather sign someone like Gavlis and use the saved money to keep Gray/Castillo/Suarez around (as opposed to signing someone like Didi). Suarez is a great bounceback candidate. They expect him
    to be fully healed next year. Yea, I understand we have too many DH types, but why sell
    low on Suarez?
    Largely agree - Reds should not further dilute their current team to afford a better shortstop.

If money is still tight, just go cheaper at short. Maybe Simmons will be affordable in this market.

If trading Gray or Suarez, do it for a strong player return, not just to open salary space for a better shortstop. Just treading water to give away another good player for salary room.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-03-2021 at 09:28 AM.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (01-05-2021)

For a guy who only ever played eight games in a Reds uniform, Didi is exhibiting an odd amount of focus on Cincinnati.
    and a career line of .... .265 .315 .433 .748 .... a guy who doesn't seem to like BBs and is 30 years old. Don't understand the enamorment myself. IMO, this ship has sailed.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-04-2021 at 04:56 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-04-2021),REDREAD (01-05-2021),RedsBaron (01-06-2021)

This team doesn't have anybody at SS other than a cardboard cut out of Barry Larkin. The defense in the infield is putrid. They need a solid, dependable player to settle down the infield, Other than emptying the farm (and probably still not being able to get him) and busting the budget for Lindor or Story, Didi is probably the best guy out there. Even if they add somebody, that IF is still not very good and what we think is the strength of this team (Gray, Castillo, Mahle) is likely to get toasted repeatedly on routine ground balls that should be outs.

Trade Castellanos or Moose to free up some money and sign a couple of middle infielders (and a legit RF would help too, but we can probably live with Shogo there in spite of his terrible arm). Right now we're looking at a team with Winker and Castellanos in the OF corners and an infield where the best defender is a well below average Suarez at 3B. This pitching staff isn't going to make it through 162 games pitching in front of that. We're either going to be extending those statrers to 120+ pitches regularly or completely toasting that bullpen, It's possible both could happen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

REDREAD (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This team doesn't have anybody at SS other than a cardboard cut out of Barry Larkin. The defense in the infield is putrid. They need a solid, dependable player to settle down the infield, Other than emptying the farm (and probably still not being able to get him) and busting the budget for Lindor or Story, Didi is probably the best guy out there. Even if they add somebody, that IF is still not very good and what we think is the strength of this team (Gray, Castillo, Mahle) is likely to get toasted repeatedly on routine ground balls that should be outs.

Trade Castellanos or Moose to free up some money and sign a couple of middle infielders (and a legit RF would help too, but we can probably live with Shogo there in spite of his terrible arm). Right now we're looking at a team with Winker and Castellanos in the OF corners and an infield where the best defender is a well below average Suarez at 3B. This pitching staff isn't going to make it through 162 games pitching in front of that. We're either going to be extending those statrers to 120+ pitches regularly or completely toasting that bullpen, It's possible both could happen.
    The team fielded an infield of Suarez, Galvis, Moustakas, and Votto last year, and the pitching was more than fine. It's part of the overall equation, but wouldn't be the undoing of the team.

I am more concerned with making sure those guys have some run support this time around.

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    The team fielded an infield of Suarez, Galvis, Moustakas, and Votto last year, and the pitching was more than fine. It's part of the overall equation, but wouldn't be the undoing of the team.

I am more concerned with making sure those guys have some run support this time around.
    For 60 games with pitchers airing it out and getting a lot of Ks to limit the balls in play and Bauer and his high K rate eating a significant percentage of those innings to help offset the defensive issues. What works for 60 games won't work for 162. The wear and tear of that accumulates. Typically these guys melt down in mid-June and in the second half from this accumaltion of extra pitches. Last year, the season was over before we would have reached what would have been the equivalient of mid-June.

And... Winker stayed in the DH slot for the most part making the OF better than it will be this year. That IF coupled with Winker and Cast in the OF corners is going to result in awful defense - probably worse than the Dunn/Griffey/Keppinger/Encarnacion days. Now we'll have an atrocious OF to match the atrocious IF. I'd expect a lot more balls in play this year in general because pitchers will need to pace themselves more over a long season.

I agree that Galvis was pretty underwhelming defensively at SS last year, so they can probably improve there, but they currently don't have a better option. I don't understand why people are advocating leaving it alone. Even if the Reds plan to tank, I'd still sign a SS for the sake of preserving my best assets (Castillo, Gray, Mahle).
    Last edited by mth123; 01-04-2021 at 07:59 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

REDREAD (01-05-2021),Revering4Blue (01-04-2021)

I still think they'll wind up with Simmons at SS on a 1-year deal, and I'm totally fine with it. I think Didi will find a 3-year deal somewhere out there.

Simmons is still near-elite with the glove and should find the NL Central a friendly place to hit.

I'd rather just go with Garcia if Galvis is the alternative.

23. Likes:

Hubba (01-05-2021),Old school 1983 (01-04-2021),Revering4Blue (01-04-2021),WrongVerb (01-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    and a career line of .... .265 .315 .433 .748 .... a guy who doesn't seem to like BBs and is 30 years old. Don't understand the enamorment myself. IMO, this ship has sailed.
    It absolutely hasn't sailed. He's still a FA and the Reds still say SS is their priority.

It absolutely hasn't sailed. He's still a FA and the Reds still say SS is their priority.
    I understand that, but he's 30 years old looking for that last big contract to score on.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I understand that, but he's 30 years old looking for that last big contract to score on.
    Doesn't look like the market is there to deliver him a big contract.

27. Likes:

GAC (01-04-2021),HammerTime (01-04-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?