Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman says the Reds are out on Bauer

Re: Heyman says the Reds are out on Bauer

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    More likely that he got his information straight from the Reds who said there's no way in hell they'll match the amount of money other teams are willing to offer him.
    I think he probably got the info from another team. I think Heyman gets all his info from like 2 teams - the Yankees and Mets.

Look, Bauer isn’t going to resign with the reds, but I certainly trust his word over Jon Hackman
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (12-18-2020),Ron Madden (12-18-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

More likely that he got his information straight from the Reds who said there's no way in hell they'll match the amount of money other teams are willing to offer him.
    ....or it is fake news?

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-18-2020),Ron Madden (12-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    ....or it is fake news?
    And it is. Bauer is extremely transparent and analytical. If he doesn’t like the offers coming in I absolutely would not be surprised if he calls up the Reds and says “give me $25 mil for 1 year” and goes back to FA next year after COVID. He’s not dumb.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-18-2020),Ron Madden (12-18-2020)

I think you're way overthinking it. The Reds have already cut payroll this offseason and are actively dangling guys like Gray and now Suarez out there, who have team-friendly contracts. If they're considering offloading THOSE contracts, they aren't going to turn around and sign Bauer to a massive deal.

It's more likely that they just say "screw it!" and blow it all up than anything.

9. Likes:

Falls City Beer (12-18-2020),REDREAD (12-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol, I mean, ok, whatever. You are clearly an extremely pessimistic fan. It is what it is.
    I’ve been a Reds fan since 1961. I’ve been accused here of being a cheerleader. I look for ways to support the team’s moves and in-game decisions. Often a voice in the wilderness when other fans are negative, as with Bryan Price and now Bell.

But this off-season is too much. We’re just off a dismal rebuild with four 90+ loss season. Now they are again dumping good players for salary relief. Last year’s great pitching staff is being diluted or worse. Bauer, Iglesias, Bradley. Rumors about Gray.

So call me a pessimist. I think I’m reading the handwriting on the wall.

11. Likes:

Falls City Beer (12-18-2020),REDREAD (12-19-2020)

I doubt the Reds will be able to resign Bauer and I doubt they are working hard to trade Sonny Gray or that they are dangling Geno Suarez.

It could be that other clubs have asked about Gray and Geno but it doesn't mean the Reds are trying to get rid of them.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-18-2020),ochoa30 (12-18-2020),RedTeamGo! (12-18-2020),Revering4Blue (12-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I doubt the Reds will be able to resign Bauer and I doubt they are working hard to trade Sonny Gray or that they are dangling Geno Suarez.

It could be that other clubs have asked about Gray and Geno but it doesn't mean the Reds are trying to get rid of them.
    Exactly this.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-18-2020)

I think you're way overthinking it. The Reds have already cut payroll this offseason and are actively dangling guys like Gray and now Suarez out there, who have team-friendly contracts. If they're considering offloading THOSE contracts, they aren't going to turn around and sign Bauer to a massive deal.

It's more likely that they just say "screw it!" and blow it all up than anything.
    I am not overthinking it. I think he’s probably going to sign for like $250 million to the Dodgers or angels. If the offers are low though, he’s not just going to take the “best” deal, he will wait until it’s a better situation.

Ron, if this was just “listening” why would the Gray rumors persist for so long?

It’s not a given he’ll be traded. But if it’s just listening, one would think the rumors would be less prominent and would drop off the screen.

More important - after cutting all this salary in free agency, non-tenders, then the Iglesias trade - why are Reds discussing ANY trade of their best remaining pitcher?
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-18-2020 at 07:53 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (12-19-2020),Ron Madden (12-18-2020)

And it is. Bauer is extremely transparent and analytical. If he doesn’t like the offers coming in I absolutely would not be surprised if he calls up the Reds and says “give me $25 mil for 1 year” and goes back to FA next year after COVID. He’s not dumb.
    Except it will probably be $35 to $40 Million for one year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I am not overthinking it. I think he’s probably going to sign for like $250 million to the Dodgers or angels. If the offers are low though, he’s not just going to take the “best” deal, he will wait until it’s a better situation.
    The problem is that the situation may be worse next year for Bauer. The MLB/MLBPA deal expires after the 2021 season and he has no clue how that's going to impact him. I'm willing to bet right now that it definitely won't help him and that would have been my thought process before Coronavirus damaged the game's finances.

Obviously he could get hurt too, destroying his value. Makes sense to cash in when you're coming off a dominant Cy Young season.

In terms of the Reds, actions speak louder than words. Thus far, they've shown that they're trying to reduce payroll and aren't going to be players in FA.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (12-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Ron, if this was just “listening” why would the Gray rumors persist for so long?

It’s not a given he’ll be traded. But if it’s just listening, one would think the rumors would be less prominent and would drop off the screen.

More important - after cutting all this salary in free agency, non-tenders, then the Iglesias trade - why are Reds discussing ANY trade of their best remaining pitcher?
    The thing is we don't know they are discussing trading Gray with other teams.

I'm not gonna get upset about it until it happens.
    For all we know it's just a couple of writers reaching for something to write about and just regurgitating the original rumor from Ken Rosenthal.

The thing is we don't know they are discussing trading Gray with other teams.

I'm not gonna get upset about it until it happens.
    For all we know it's just a couple of writers reaching for something to write about and just regurgitating the original rumor from Ken Rosenthal.
    Ok, that’s fair. But I wouldn’t be so critical of fans being unhappy. Reds should be fine tuning a playoff team right now. Instead, they’ve been shedding good players mostly for salary relief and apparently discussing a trade of their current best pitcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-18-2020 at 08:01 PM.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (12-19-2020)

So, Bauer said this after Heyman tried to defend himself instead of just taking the L:

You know more about the plans of all 30 teams than the person talking to them directly on my behalf? �� Bold claim, kiddo. Logicing your way through something is one thing, reporting it as definitive news is another. But I think you are smart enough on your own to understand that

And then Heyman said:

I know enough about many of them to know they can’t afford you. I could expand that list to two-thirds of the teams if you like but the Reds are the newsworthy ones since it’s your most recent team. If you sign with the Reds you are welcome to get back to me.

~~ Heyman flat out admitting he made this up based off his own speculation. It’s literally fake news.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 12-18-2020 at 08:08 PM.

26. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-19-2020),marcshoe (12-19-2020),Rojo Rijo (12-18-2020),Ron Madden (12-18-2020),savafan (12-20-2020)

Concerning the quality of these offseason rumors, I have seen numerous articles on how Bauer is likely to sign with the Angels. Bauer himself has said he would never sign there because of their pitching coach. Writers need clicks and write all sorts of stuff in the off season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

28. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?