Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Heyman says Reds and Nats have discussed trade of Eugenio Suarez

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Jon Heyman says Reds and Nats have discussed trade of Eugenio Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I might be missing something here but I'd rather the Reds hold on to Geno than to keep Moose.
    JMHO
    Problem is Moose may have negative value at this point. With how drastically FA prices have dropped, he is unlikely to get his current deal on the open market.

2. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (12-19-2020),Revering4Blue (12-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Robles and Kieboom might be okay for Geno himself, despite the fact that they’ve both not looked great in the majors. It wouldn’t be the worst trade in the world, but whatever.

Throwing in Senzel on top of that would be an awful trade for the Reds.
    My thought was basically Suarez for Kieboom and Robles and Senzel for a couple of very good prospects that have a little later ETA. If you get Robles, you’re bumping Senzel out of CF, and I’m not really interested in jerking him around again. Plus, it probably means the Nats are more willing to relinquish Robles if a potential MLB replacement is part of the deal.

If they send Geno to DC, I want Lincoln in return; I don't care if he is a statue in the field.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-24-2020),757690 (12-19-2020),RedTeamGo! (12-19-2020),Shoeless Jeff (12-28-2020),The Operator (12-20-2020),wally post (12-19-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The thing is I could almost understand the idea behind overhauling the team if I thought they would reinvest the money they saved by trading some guys into some genuine replacements. They are still like an 85 win type team without a lot of major pieces to acquire guys besides free agents so I could get shaking things up to get off the fence riding space they're currently in.

Say you do that Geno-Nats trade and trade Gray to San Diego for Gore and whatever. You get some lineup pieces, a top of the rotation type pitching prospect. You reinvest that 20 millionish dollars you just saved into resigning Bauer and a shortstop. You still have a good top of rotation with Bauer and Castillo and Gore potentially, and then Lodolo and Greene coming on the way. You get some potential lineup pieces to build around with Senzel, Robles, and Kieboom and whoever else you get from trading Gray. That's still a team with potential to compete and you give yourself some flexibility and extended the window for guys like Senzel and Greene.

But the thing is if they trade Gray and Geno, they aren't going to do that. They won't sign a Trevor Bauer. They'll just do exactly what they did from 2014-2018 and sit around with their thumb up their ass hoping that the scraps they're hanging onto miraculously do something while they pinch pennies and have a payroll under 100 million. They won't actually try to compete or invest the money to make some big impact creative moves like that. That's why these rumors suck so bad.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 12-19-2020 at 04:08 PM.

8. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (12-19-2020),Falls City Beer (12-20-2020),The Operator (12-20-2020),Tom Servo (12-19-2020)

Maybe they are going all in on the Tampa model. But without the FO personnel to make it work.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I think people are forgetting just how good Suarez’s contract is. He’s signed for another 5 seasons, 4 years with a club option. The most money he makes during that time is 11 million dollars and 15 on the option.

He should honestly be worth A LOT more than a couple of disappointments like that Nats trade.
    Ok then. Remove Senzel from the trade and make the Nats pay more. Basic framework works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My guess is that they are still talking. Dumping salary is job one right now.
    My thoughts too.
    This, along with Gray being discussed, and all the other moves thus far... It pretty much shows that cost cutting is priority #1 this offseason.
    Note, we had no rumors of good players on the Reds being moved last season.
    The front office (whoever we want to blame) made some poor decisions last winter and didn't contend. Makes sense that ownership saw the disaster that was 2020 and wants to cut as much
    salary as possible. I don't like it, but I've accepted that the Reds are not going to be good again until the hangover from last winter is gone, and Miley, Shogo, etc have rolled off the roster.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He was a UFA to be, so pretty poor comparison even for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There's been a few times the Reds have traded a vet and "won".
    Getting Suarez. Getting Disco. I suppose Duval-Leake. I am sure there is one or two more in the last 20 years, but the majority of the time, they whiff. FCB has a good point.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    In my life as a reds fan I can’t really think of one trade where it was rumored before it happened. This sounds like the nats called about Suarez. Meh. Same with Sonny.
    Let me refresh your memory
    Ken Griffey Jr

Bauer
    https://www.redreporter.com/2019/7/3...aylor-trammell

Lots of rumors before Cueto was traded, signaling he was on the way out.

Rumors they would sign Shogo.

Rumors they would sign Castellanos
    https://blogredmachine.com/2020/01/2...s-castellanos/

This column was posted a few days before the Reds traded Leake
    https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2015...rumors_bo.html

Often times the rumors do have some truth behind them. Are they always correct
    on the destination team? Of course not, but I believe the Reds probably want to trade
    at least one more big salary before the season starts. Maybe it's Gray or Suarez.
    Maybe it's someone else.

15. Likes:

Falls City Beer (12-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Really the only truly bad trades the Reds made this century were when they were tanking (Chapman and Frazier), so that was kinda on purpose.
    Yes, I am sure the front office was told Frazier and Chapman had to go. However, when the best piece coming back was Peraza, that's still malpractice. They should have gotten some actual talent back.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, I am sure the front office was told Frazier and Chapman had to go. However, when the best piece coming back was Peraza, that's still malpractice. They should have gotten some actual talent back.
    I really do believe that the FO was told Chapman needed to be out of here by tomorrow.

The Reds basically made it clear to the world that Chapman was a risk and could be had for peanuts.

That Frazier trade...I really do think they thought Jose Peraza was going to be a star.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-19-2020),Ron Madden (12-20-2020)

Also, part of me wonders if India hasn't really turned it around to the point where the Reds are confident that we have a 3b ready for next year. Trading Suarez could conceivably get back a lot while simultaneously cutting payroll.

That would be very Rays-like.

I don't know if I'd necessarily say no to a Jonathan India OPSing 750 at 3b, Carter Kieboom manning SS, another top 10 prospect or two in the farm, and some freed up money (and perhaps safety from Gray trades).

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Also, part of me wonders if India hasn't really turned it around to the point where the Reds are confident that we have a 3b ready for next year. Trading Suarez could conceivably get back a lot while simultaneously cutting payroll.

That would be very Rays-like.

I don't know if I'd necessarily say no to a Jonathan India OPSing 750 at 3b, Carter Kieboom manning SS, another top 10 prospect or two in the farm, and some freed up money (and perhaps safety from Gray trades).
    I would think if India had turned the corner like that he would have been up at some point last season.

21. Likes:

M2 (12-20-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I would think if India had turned the corner like that he would have been up at some point last season.
    Yeah, I've got very little faith that India is going to be a major player.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Yeah, I've got very little faith that India is going to be a major player.
    People said that about Suarez once, too.

And Todd Frazier for that matter.

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-19-2020),Ron Madden (12-19-2020)

Turn Off Ads?