Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds claim catcher Deivy Grullón off waivers

Reds claim catcher Deivy Grullón off waivers

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

Reds claimed C Deivy Grullón off of waivers from the Red Sox. The 40-man roster is at 33.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=grullo000dei

Hitting numbers in the minor look pretty good and he's only 24.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Gallen5862 (12-23-2020),Red Raindog (12-23-2020),Redeyecat (12-25-2020),schroomytunes (12-24-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds claim catcher Deivy Grullón off waivers

Insert sarcastic comment about depth signing with reference to scrub player from 1978-1988

In all seriousness. Looks like a solid pickup.

5. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (12-23-2020),CarolinaRedleg (12-24-2020),Edd Roush (12-23-2020),Gallen5862 (12-23-2020),Mitri (12-23-2020),Red Raindog (12-23-2020),reds77 (12-23-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-23-2020)

thank you old school you know you are clairvoyant the signing reminds me of the great heist of Dann Bilardello, or even plucking the great Dave Van Gorder off the campus of USC another Brinks job

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    thank you old school you know you are clairvoyant the signing reminds me of the great heist of Dann Bilardello, or even plucking the great Dave Van Gorder off the campus of USC another Brinks job
    Speaking of Dave Van Gorder...was 1978 the year that Dick Wagner was in charge of the draft?

Year Rnd DT OvPck FrRnd RdPck Tm Signed Bonus Name Pos WAR
    1978 2 43 FrRnd 17 Reds Y Dave Van Gorder (minors) C -1.7
    1978 2 44 FrRnd 18 White Sox N Benjamin Belue (minors) OF
    1978 2 45 FrRnd 19 Pirates Y Bradley Palmer (minors) LHP
    1978 2 46 FrRnd 20 Rangers Y Amos Lewis (minors) RHP
    1978 2 47 FrRnd 21 Dodgers Y Clay Smith (minors) SS
    1978 2 48 FrRnd 22 Orioles Y Cal Ripken Jr. (minors) 3B 95.9
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I about said Dave Van Gorder but I chose to keep my post more general.

9. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (12-23-2020)

wow we certainly scoped out that talent having vangorder compete with steve christmas, mike oberry and alex trevino was a memorable tussle, a gargantuan epic struggle for catching superiority

Alan Knicely and Joe Nolan say hello

I long for the mighty Hal King or the unfortunate Don Werner. His bat did the 1978 Reds no favors.

Quote Originally Posted by DonutBoy View Post
    Alan Knicely and Joe Nolan say hello
    Joe Nolan hit over .300 both seasons he played for the Reds -- as Johnny Bench's backup in 1980, and as the regular catcher in 1981 after Bench injured his ankle.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (12-23-2020),marcshoe (12-23-2020),Red Raindog (12-23-2020),Revering4Blue (12-23-2020)

joe nolan was pretty good, if we are going to talk about marginalea brad gulden, jerry zimmerman, sonny ruberto merit more consideration

Post reported for using both of those names in one sentence. One would have been bad enough.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (12-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Post reported for using both of those names in one sentence. One would have been bad enough.
    Yes, but Bilardello was able to usurp the catching job from Alex Trevińo in 1983, so he gets kudos for that.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

At least I did not use Hal Bevan or Guillermo Garcia

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...s-red-sox.html
    Grullon, 24, has made extremely brief appearances in the Majors with both the Phillies (2019) and Red Sox (2020) over the past two seasons. In 13 plate appearances, he’s collected two hits, including a double, with a walk and three punchouts. There’s little to glean from such a small sample, but Grullon carries a .283/.354/.496 slash in 457 Triple-A plate appearances and a .264/.302/.494 line in a similar body of work in Double-A.

Baseball America ranked Grullon among the best prospects in the Phillies’ system each year from 2014-20, right up until the Phils designated him for assignment in September and lost him on waivers to the Red Sox. While he never cracked the organization’s top 10 and was generally considered to be in the back half of the club’s top farmhands. Above-average power to his pull side and a strong throwing arm are regarded as his best tools.

Grullon still has minor league options remaining, so he can give the Reds an additional depth option behind veteran Tucker Barnhart (assuming he isn’t traded as part of the team’s efforts to pare back payroll), young Tyler Stephenson and utilityman Kyle Farmer. Cincinnati non-tendered Curt Casali earlier this month.

21. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-25-2020),REDREAD (12-24-2020)

Well now letting Casali go makes sense.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

23. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-25-2020)

Turn Off Ads?