Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Re: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Boston apparently had multiple conversations about Harden with the Rockets. Ainge said the price was too high.

I'm guessing that meant Brown and first rounders.

Some day, Boston fans will realize, without sacrificing very good players and picks, they run the risk of forever being a bridesmaid and never the bride. Ainge just can't pull the trigger on the biggest deals. Boogie, AD, Harden, Durant-- all were seemingly interested in the Celtics at a time when Boston needed to make a deal. Each time, the C's have passed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Boston apparently had multiple conversations about Harden with the Rockets. Ainge said the price was too high.

Some day, Boston fans will realize, without sacrificing very good players and picks, they run the risk of forever being a bridesmaid and never the bride. Ainge just can't pull the trigger on the biggest deals. Boogie, AD, Harden, Durant-- all were seemingly interested in the Celtics at a time when Boston needed to make a deal. Each time, the C's have passed.
    Ainge knows what he's doing. His track record is among the elite as far as G.M.'s go.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Guess they won't be fulfilling their TV contract this season...

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

A third Washington Wizards player has tested positive for COVID-19, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. After two positive cases (and associated contact tracing protocols) forced the league to to postpone the Wizards' games scheduled for Wednesday (vs. Utah) and Friday (at Detroit), the team is now dealing with a third. Washington is scheduled to host Cleveland on Sunday, but at this point one has to wonder if that game will need to be pushed back as well.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

They may miss enough games to withstand the loss of Westbrook.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

How many Championships does Harden have? Westbrook? Paul? George? Giannis? SAC? UTA? PHI since Doc left? Ainge has one. He'll get another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How many Championships does Harden have? Westbrook? Paul? George? Giannis? SAC? UTA? PHI since Doc left? Ainge has one. He'll get another.
    I'll gladly take that bet.

I wouldn't move Tatum or Brown for love or money. Keep those two, cycle players around them and you're going to get it 100% right one of these years (with conference finals and NBA finals in the years where you don't). Also not sure they're not the best team in the East. They caught fire when Payton Pritchard started to get minutes and he'll soon make way for Kemba Walker. That's an upgrade. I don't think that team has missed anything. Looks like a team that's still in the early years of a long run.

Where I fault them is they really screwed up their last two top draft picks. Taking Aaron Nesmith over Cole Anthony, Saddiq Bey, Precious (one name, soccer style) and Tyrese Maxey already looks boneheaded. And Romeo Lankford was a headscratcher from the jump. That team needs depth and it could/should have gotten it with all those draft picks.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Guess they won't be fulfilling their TV contract this season...

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

A third Washington Wizards player has tested positive for COVID-19, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. After two positive cases (and associated contact tracing protocols) forced the league to to postpone the Wizards' games scheduled for Wednesday (vs. Utah) and Friday (at Detroit), the team is now dealing with a third. Washington is scheduled to host Cleveland on Sunday, but at this point one has to wonder if that game will need to be pushed back as well.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

They may miss enough games to withstand the loss of Westbrook.
    I knew the Wizards wouldn't be boring this year but this isn't what I had in mind.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

9. Likes:

M2 (01-14-2021),Revering4Blue (01-14-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

What about trading for Kyrie and signing Hayward in '17?

It's not Ainge's fault that Hayward went down on opening night in '17. Granted, it was very, very unlikely that ANY team other than the stacked Warriors were going to win it all in '17 and '18, but that '18 Celtics team would have had a great chance, even with LeBron's Kyrie-less Cavs in the way, of reaching the '18 finals with a healthy Hayward. And it's also possible that Ainge would have significantly added to the roster (without surrendering Brown, Tatum or Smart) at the '18 deadline were Hayward healthy.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    What about trading for Kyrie and signing Hayward in '17?
    You're right.

Ainge has swung for the fences.

I completely forgot about both deals.

And the Kyrie deal might be why he didn't jump at the chance to acquire Harden too.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I wouldn't move Tatum or Brown for love or money. Keep those two, cycle players around them and you're going to get it 100% right one of these years (with conference finals and NBA finals in the years where you don't). Also not sure they're not the best team in the East. They caught fire when Payton Pritchard started to get minutes and he'll soon make way for Kemba Walker. That's an upgrade. I don't think that team has missed anything. Looks like a team that's still in the early years of a long run.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Where I fault them is they really screwed up their last two top draft picks. Taking Aaron Nesmith over Cole Anthony, Saddiq Bey, Precious (one name, soccer style) and Tyrese Maxey already looks boneheaded. And Romeo Lankford was a headscratcher from the jump. That team needs depth and it could/should have gotten it with all those draft picks.
    Within two years - If he hasn't already - Bey is going to win the How in the hell did he fall out of the lottery? award for '20. No denying that he was the obvious pick for Ainge.

To be fair, though, both Nesmith and Langford were both considered by many (experts, as opposed to all of us at Redszone) to be the BPAs on the board at the time of both of their selections. And it's still too early to write either of them off. Worst case scenario: One or both are dealt for win-now players. For example: One rumor floating around there: Either Nesmith or Langford are packaged with another player (Waters or Edwards?) to OKC for George Hill.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-14-2021),M2 (01-14-2021)

A Boston rumor I'm hearing is Nesmith, Lankford, and a future 2nd rounder to Houston for PJ Tucker.

16. Likes:

M2 (01-14-2021)

You're right.

Ainge has swung for the fences.

I completely forgot about both deals.

And the Kyrie deal might be why he didn't jump at the chance to acquire Harden too.
    Well, that and a steep price.

According to Brian Robb of the Boston Sports Journal, the Rockets were asking for Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and draft compensation.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ly-High-For-Us

Also, from the same article:

The Celtics were similarly close to a deal for Jimmy Butler in 2017, but they were unwilling to include the No. 3 pick in that draft which became Jayson Tatum or the 2018 pick from Brooklyn included in the Kyrie Irving trade.

Boston also discussed a similar trade that month with the Indiana Pacers for Paul George, but Tatum's second workout convinced them otherwise.

A Boston rumor I'm hearing is Nesmith, Lankford, and a future 2nd rounder to Houston for PJ Tucker.
    That would be a great trade for both teams.

Philly, who also reportedly covets Tucker would be hard-pressed to top that offer. Perhaps Indy should get in on the Tucker sweepstakes.

Dame is elite. He hasn't been to a Finals, either, like most of the others I named. That said, Ainge throws the dice, but he's not going to try to hit a hard seven.

Looking forward (though I'll have to watch most of it Friday Night from the DVR) to seeing IND against POR tonight, thankfully without the LeVert version. Different style. Different test. Different challenge.

21. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?