Thread: USA Gymnastics failed to report abuse allegations against coaches

USA Gymnastics failed to report abuse allegations against coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: USA Gymnastics failed to report abuse allegations against coaches

Why did the people making sexual abuse allegations send those allegations to USAG?!?

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Why did the people making sexual abuse allegations send those allegations to USAG?!?
    Probably the same reason why the people making allegations in the PSU case reported them to PSU and not the cops.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

traderumor (12-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Probably the same reason why the people making allegations in the PSU case reported them to PSU and not the cops.
    It's not even remotely similar, though. My daughter is a USAG gymnast and spends 20+ hours a week at her gym. The absolute LAST people I would think to contact if I suspected sexual assault would be USAG. It would be like someone in the Penn State situation calling the NCAA.

That's not to say the USAG shouldn't have reported the issues. It's just strange that these reports would get to the USAG in the first place. Parents, coaches and gym owners would seem much more likely candidates to have the information and report it to authorities.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-04-2016)

By way of example, from the Indy Star article:

•USA Gymnastics received at least four complaints about coach William McCabe as early as 1998. One gym owner warned the organization in 1998 that McCabe “should be locked in a cage before someone is raped.” USA Gymnastics never reported the allegations to police and, according to federal authorities, he began molesting an underage girl in 1999. McCabe continued to coach children for nearly seven more years, until Lisa Ganser went to the FBI with concerns about emails to her then-11-year-old daughter. McCabe was charged with molesting gymnasts, secretly videotaping girls changing clothes and posting their naked pictures on the internet. He pleaded guilty in 2006 in Savannah, Georgia, to federal charges of sexual exploitation of children and making false statements. He is serving a 30-year sentence

Fair enough. the guy is clearly a scuzz. But why is the USAG under fire for not reporting McCabe to the police? They probably should have, but personally I'd say the bigger issue is with the gym owner who had personal knowledge that McCabe “should be locked in a cage before someone is raped” and didn't alert authorities. The USAG isn't this gym owner's employer. Why on earth would the gym owner think the USAG is the right person to tell this to? The USAG should certainly have looked at keeping McCabe out of coaching, but if anyone should have been reporting McCabe to the police it was the gym owner.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-04-2016)

By way of example, from the Indy Star article:

•USA Gymnastics received at least four complaints about coach William McCabe as early as 1998. One gym owner warned the organization in 1998 that McCabe “should be locked in a cage before someone is raped.” USA Gymnastics never reported the allegations to police and, according to federal authorities, he began molesting an underage girl in 1999. McCabe continued to coach children for nearly seven more years, until Lisa Ganser went to the FBI with concerns about emails to her then-11-year-old daughter. McCabe was charged with molesting gymnasts, secretly videotaping girls changing clothes and posting their naked pictures on the internet. He pleaded guilty in 2006 in Savannah, Georgia, to federal charges of sexual exploitation of children and making false statements. He is serving a 30-year sentence

Fair enough. the guy is clearly a scuzz. But why is the USAG under fire for not reporting McCabe to the police? They probably should have, but personally I'd say the bigger issue is with the gym owner who had personal knowledge that McCabe “should be locked in a cage before someone is raped” and didn't alert authorities. The USAG isn't this gym owner's employer. Why on earth would the gym owner think the USAG is the right person to tell this to? The USAG should certainly have looked at keeping McCabe out of coaching, but if anyone should have been reporting McCabe to the police it was the gym owner.
    All true. But I still think it's similar to the PSU case. Sandusky is caught abusing a kid. He had been suspected of it for decades before that. McQuarry reported it to JoePa and JoePa reported it to the AD and president. Anyone along the line could have reported it to the police but no one did anything because they didn't want the program to get hurt. It appears that no one wanted USAG to get hurt. This will make for negative publicity for the USAG and USOC. Even a lowly gym owner doesn't want that. Thank God Lisa Ganser went to the FBI.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This will make for negative publicity for the USAG and USOC.

I'm sure that's the intent of the sensational headline. The intent is surely to make people think of the US National team, when this is essentially about kids getting abused by their little league gymnastics coach. That's obviously a bad situation, but this is clearly timed to hit right at the start of the Olympics for maximum effect, but it has about as much to do with the Olympics as a high school football player getting abused by his coach at Moeller high school has to do with the Super Bowl.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-04-2016)

I'm sure that's the intent of the sensational headline. The intent is surely to make people think of the US National team, when this is essentially about kids getting abused by their little league gymnastics coach. That's obviously a bad situation, but this is clearly timed to hit right at the start of the Olympics for maximum effect, but it has about as much to do with the Olympics as a high school football player getting abused by his coach at Moeller high school has to do with the Super Bowl.
    Sure. But it'd be like if the PSU or Baylor scandals broke before the BCS championship game. Those scandals don't have anything to do with the game but it would get the media and people all upset at the NCAA. NBC will be in a difficult position now when they are covering the gymnastics. Do they ignore it or just mention it once and not cover it at all? Do they start interviewing girls on the team and ask them if they have been abused? Now this is right up there with Zika and the literal crap in the water.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sure. But it'd be like if the PSU or Baylor scandals broke before the BCS championship game.
    Kinda. It would be more like a Little League scandal breaking right before the World Series if MLB ran Little League, though.

They call me "chef"

There is a real sense of guilt when reporting a crime that you are going to ruin an institution or a program or a group of people's lives that can make someone choose to report the crime in a lower stakes way, like 'passing off' the responsibility of investigating and reporting to the institution/program. I wish that it was easy for us to naturally know exactly what to do without hesitancy or having unexpected feelings/blocks/emotions/reactions. That is why I am super hesitant to blame victims and add to that shame.

17. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2016)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Always good to see the blame the victim crowd showing up...Boston Red never fails to come through.

I was wrong
    Chip is right

That Nassar dude is a real POS.

21. Likes:

Chip R (12-21-2017)

I really hope folks keep to the current trend of no longer covering up for sexual predators. This is so needed and will hopefully help deter it going forward.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

23. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-21-2017),Chip R (12-21-2017),dubc47834 (12-21-2017),HeatherC1212 (12-21-2017),Hoosier Red (12-22-2017),Revering4Blue (12-23-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

His victims have been giving their impact statements in the last week or so. Over 150 of them. Mattie Larson have hers today, and it's a doozy:

Larry, I trusted you, I believed you were a kind person,' said Larson.

'Your kindness was simply a ploy to molest me every chance you got.'

Larson then looked right at her abuser and said: 'Larry, I can't even put into words how much I f***ing hate you.'
    Larson said that when she dislocated both ankles Nassar did not wrap them, but instead assaulted her while her friends watched TV oblivious to what was going on behind them.

'No matter what Larry was supposed to be treating on me - usually ankles or knees --his fingers always seemed to find their way inside me,' said Larson.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?