Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Re: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Best in the East (so far) vs. Best in the West (so far) tonight. Jazz are 6 point favorites. I assume Simmons and Mitchell still have their rivalry. Too bad this one isn't on national TV.
    No Embiid. Too bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    No Embiid. Too bad.
    I can live with it!

Yeesh. Sixers. Bench.

Problem is that with Milton out, their two best bench players are starting. Yeah, I mean Danny Green and Seth Curry. I'm done waiting for Curry to take any volume of three point shots. He can't hunt them, has no real handle, and can't shoot over anyone.

Grats to Jordan Clarkson on tying the Jazz record for threes. That was needed because Gobert, and until way late in the 2nd half, O'Neale were invisible offensively.

Ben Simmons was easily the best player on the court. Pyrrhic victory, but nice to see him aggressive. 0-3 on the road trip, but they were in all of the games. They obviously need to add a couple legit bench pieces...errr...or a legit starter...to turn those into wins. Go Morey, go.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

The two original "baby Lakers", Randle and Clarkson, have 40 point games tonight.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeesh. Sixers. Bench.

Problem is that with Milton out, their two best bench players are starting. Yeah, I mean Danny Green and Seth Curry. I'm done waiting for Curry to take any volume of three point shots. He can't hunt them, has no real handle, and can't shoot over anyone.

Grats to Jordan Clarkson on tying the Jazz record for threes. That was needed because Gobert, and until way late in the 2nd half, O'Neale were invisible offensively.

Ben Simmons was easily the best player on the court. Pyrrhic victory, but nice to see him aggressive. 0-3 on the road trip, but they were in all of the games. They obviously need to add a couple legit bench pieces...errr...or a legit starter...to turn those into wins. Go Morey, go.
    Seems like that game was a pretty good illustration of while Simmons and Embiid are both great players, they probably aren't as great as they could be together, at least Simmons isn't.

I know this was the Clarkson game and he's been awesome all season, but O'Neale was just clutch. Got 2 huge stops on Simmons and then drained back to back 3s to basically end the game. If the Jazz do end up playing in the NBA Finals I think he is the guy that tips them over the edge.

Simmons had a Magic-as-center game. Dominant without leaving the paint.

He'd be an absolute monster as a point center. Triple doubles on the regular while still guarding one through five. He's Elite Bam.

Surround him with shooters and perhaps one more play-maker, and you get championships.

This is an incredible stat line from last night (against the NBA's worst Defense, BKN, but still):

Hassan Whiteside came off the bench and hit 12-of-15 shots and 2-of-2 free throws for season highs of 26 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks in 24 minutes
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    This is an incredible stat line from last night (against the NBA's worst Defense, BKN, but still):

Hassan Whiteside came off the bench and hit 12-of-15 shots and 2-of-2 free throws for season highs of 26 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks in 24 minutes
    Whiteside seems to specialize in numbers collection when his team is hopelessly behind. His +/- for the game was 0. DeAndre Jordan was a +22 off the bench for the Nets. I'm guessing Whiteside did most of his feasting when he had Jeff Green checking him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

What's even crazier is that this is perhaps the fifth or sixth-best game from last night.

Lots of stars doing star things:

Randle went for 44/9/5 in a win against Atlanta. (With only three turnovers.)

Clarkson went for 40 as well, and we've already talked about Simmons having perhaps the most dominant night of the year so far.

Not only that, both Jimmy Butler and James Harden had triple doubles, and Steph Curry, Bradley Beal, Marcus Morris (!), and Zach LaVine went for 30+.

Crazy numbers.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Whiteside seems to specialize in numbers collection when his team is hopelessly behind. His +/- for the game was 0. DeAndre Jordan was a +22 off the bench for the Nets. I'm guessing Whiteside did most of his feasting when he had Jeff Green checking him.
    Well, you know me. Numbers mean nothing to me as far as importance when it comes to winning games. Just mentioning how incredible it was to pile up those numbers in just 24 minutes no matter who it was done against. It was still done against five professional basketball players (not one, as you were saying).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

What Simmons did, I mentioned it briefly in his game against POR just two games earlier. It's going to work if he's staggered with Embiid as either will dominate the paint for 48 minutes putting a ton of pressure on every opponent and getting them into a lot of foul trouble. For 24 minutes they should not be on the floor with each other. The other 24 minutes they can make it work together. But, for 48 minutes, it will wreak havoc on opponents.

BTW, incredible kudos to what the Knicks are doing. Can't believe we are going to see the Knicks in the playoffs finally.

Since Dame entered the league (12-13), no player has hit as many game-winning baskets in the last minute of a game, including playoffs, than Damian Lillard. He's done it 33 times after his game-winner in DAL Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Seems like that game was a pretty good illustration of while Simmons and Embiid are both great players, they probably aren't as great as they could be together, at least Simmons isn't.
    I think it's an illustration of what Simmons can do when he's aggressive and hits his free throws.

I know this was the Clarkson game and he's been awesome all season, but O'Neale was just clutch. Got 2 huge stops on Simmons and then drained back to back 3s to basically end the game. If the Jazz do end up playing in the NBA Finals I think he is the guy that tips them over the edge.
    Was someone guarding Simmons last night on his way to 42 points in the paint? Sorry, couldn't tell. I hope it wasn't supposed to be O'Neale. His biggest contribution defensively was when he drug Simmons down and "stole" the ball while three officials munched on their whistles midway through the 4th.

But in all seriousness, O'Neal's threes near the end of the game were more of a "Sure. What else can happen?" situation than anything else. That's actually a testament to Utah's depth and skill level. When they have a couple guys go invisible (like O'Neale for 98% of the game), they can count on someone else to step up.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I think it's an illustration of what Simmons can do when he's aggressive and hits his free throws.

Was someone guarding Simmons last night on his way to 42 points in the paint? Sorry, couldn't tell. I hope it wasn't supposed to be O'Neale. His biggest contribution defensively was when he drug Simmons down and "stole" the ball while three officials munched on their whistles midway through the 4th.

But in all seriousness, O'Neal's threes near the end of the game were more of a "Sure. What else can happen?" situation than anything else. That's actually a testament to Utah's depth and skill level. When they have a couple guys go invisible (like O'Neale for 98% of the game), they can count on someone else to step up.
    They started the game with Gobert on Simmons, which obviously didn’t work. ONeale took him for most the second half.

He’s never going to be there to score, but he absolutely can. He’s just a team guy that does whatever he needs to do and is one of the best wing defenders in the NBA.

Since Dame entered the league (12-13), no player has hit as many game-winning baskets in the last minute of a game
    you going to tell me water is wet next? I am kidding, but I think everyone would guess the name if asked, but did not realize it has been that large of a number.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?