Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Re: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Top 55 protected? That's spectacular.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Watching Donovan Mitchell destroy the Pelicans and it's astounding he went #13 in a draft where Lonzo Ball went #2.

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Watching Donovan Mitchell destroy the Pelicans and it's astounding he went #13 in a draft where Lonzo Ball went #2.
    People understood the former, not the latter. You can't measure heart and Mitchell's is huge.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Zion Williamson's Defense is atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    People understood the former, not the latter. You can't measure heart and Mitchell's is huge.
    IIRC, Mitchell's motor was well-known prior to the draft. A whole bunch of draftniks thought he was being undervalued. Yet if you compare Mitchell to Ball, the biggest difference is shooting. Ball can't and Mitchell's the fastest ever to 600 3s. We're in a shooting era, doubly so for guards. Seems like a lesson there.

You go back to our draft threads and they're usually pretty good. We could not justify Ball going #2 except for Magic's cluelessness. The top-10 were reserved for one-and-done's....all projection, which knocked Adebayo out of the lottery. Mitchell definitely fell with an immediate projection of a chip on his shoulder afterwards going into the draft as it's most proven scorer. His range was highly questionable, while his control (avoiding turnovers) was highly questionable. He matured after just one month and got his turnovers under control, while he improved his range dramatically quickly, running away with the ROY award.

...whining incessantly about someone else winning the ROY award.
    FTFY
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

You go back to our draft threads and they're usually pretty good. We could not justify Ball going #2 except for Magic's cluelessness.
    As a Lakers fan who was very much against taking Ball @ #2, I am not sure the FO had much of a choice. The Lakers fanbase would have lost their minds if the Lakers did not take Ball....and as a team that was not going to be good anytime soon, Ball was an attraction to get the fans in the arena and excited. If you recall Summer League that year, it is hard to say it did not work.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I can't help but pay attention because every time the Sixers are mentioned, you use the opportunity as a segue into Rojo-level drunk misinformation dances and half-baked "they ain't good until Zee says they're good" rhetoric. Seriously. Ben Simmons' game is a "recipe for losing playoff games". Nevermind that Simmons wasn't even available for the Sixers/Celtics first round series last season. Is that really your take? Ben Simmons game is bad for the Sixers chances of winning in the playoffs when he's not playing? Brilliant. Golf clap.

And don't try to play a "Steel is a Sixers homer" card. That's ridiculous and you know it. I spent the vast majority of last season railing on the team's real issues and coaching.
    Sorry, Kingsport. I'll do better next time.

My analysis on the Sixers last year was pretty succinct and spot-on.

Good team not as good as the sum of its parts because they couldn't shoot.

That cost them in the playoffs. It cost them in the regular season. It cost their coach his job. Turns out, they didn't need more analysis than that, and if you're mad that I pointed that out, maybe your anger is misdirected. (Lord knows, I got a lot of it last year before you eventually realized it.)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Top 55 protected? That's spectacular.
    I don't really understand this one. Seems like if that's the best you can do, than just have him sit on your bench for a bit until he feels like saying sorry to the GM and everyone can move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don't really understand this one. Seems like if that's the best you can do, than just have him sit on your bench for a bit until he feels like saying sorry to the GM and everyone can move on.
    I suspect he'd burnt bridges with players and coaching staff too. Or perhaps they're looking to really help the kid.

He has both talent and personal demons, seemingly. Often can't get to the former until the latter is taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect he'd burnt bridges with players and coaching staff too. Or perhaps they're looking to really help the kid.

He has both talent and personal demons, seemingly. Often can't get to the former until the latter is taken care of.
    He's too good to essentially give away. I understand he probably couldn't play another game for the Cavs and there wasn't a lot of leverage, but still.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-22-2021)

Karl Malone and Donovan Mitchell were both #13 picks in the first round. John Stocked was the #16 pick. Pretty solid gets for Utah. If only they could have had some of their higher picks not named Deron Williams to pan out over the years!

And now looking through the Jazz draft history I see that they got Dell Curry at #15 in 1986. Stockton, Malone, Curry with #16, #13 and #15 three years in a row. Amazing. Had no recollection of Curry ever being part of the Jazz and am very sad that he was traded for Melvin effing Turpin.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 01-22-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Sorry, Kingsport. I'll do better next time.

My analysis on the Sixers last year was pretty succinct and spot-on.

Good team not as good as the sum of its parts because they couldn't shoot.
    Your overly-reductive "analysis" was trash last season and it's still trash. The Sixers finished in a multiple-way tie for 7th in team Field Goal% last season and tied for 8th in Three-point Field Goal rate. "But they can't shoot" is your reply. At this point, it's beyond you just being ignorant of the data.

Poor shooting didn't cost Brett Brown his job, because it couldn't. They SHOT WELL last season. What cost Brett Brown his job was Brett Brown combined with a number of issues I don't expect you to be able to identify.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?