Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Re: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Your overly-reductive "analysis" was trash last season and it's still trash. The Sixers finished in a multiple-way tie for 7th in team Field Goal% last season and tied for 8th in Three-point Field Goal rate. "But they can't shoot" is your reply. At this point, it's beyond you just being ignorant of the data.

Poor shooting didn't cost Brett Brown his job, because it couldn't. They SHOT WELL last season. What cost Brett Brown his job was Brett Brown combined with a number of issues I don't expect you to be able to identify.
    26% from deep in the playoffs after consecutive seasons of 31% from deep in the playoffs.

Yep, that's a team full of deadeyes.

Wanna tell us how Robert Covington-- oops, I meant Seth Curry-- will lead to new-found success and a sure berth in the championship series?

Want to explain how the refs continue to screw over your team... Ah, nevermind. You've already done that one.

Want to point with pride at how well Ben Simmons shoots off one leg from the corner on every other Tuesday against small forward defenders with one leg two and a half inches shorter than the other leg?

Will they go unbeaten from here on out? And if not, is it always the ref's fault, or has the opposing team also cheated?
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 01-22-2021 at 01:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He's too good to essentially give away. I understand he probably couldn't play another game for the Cavs and there wasn't a lot of leverage, but still.
    I assume they moved him instead of leaving him on the roster or waiving him because they preferred to move his number off the cap. Cleveland is still over the cap and paying the tax, right? If so, they probably saved a decent chunk of change beyond his salary.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-22-2021)

Who is currently in 1st place in the East?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

This version of the Sixers looks pretty good. Helps that Embiid is playing especially dominant basketball. There's been some rumbling about Ben Simmons for Bradley Beal. If that happens, then I'd say that's clearly the top team in the East. I'd want them to add a 3-and-D to that mix. Yet even without that deal, I don't see why this couldn't be their year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-22-2021),SteelSD (01-22-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Karl Malone and Donovan Mitchell were both #13 picks in the first round. John Stocked was the #16 pick. Pretty solid gets for Utah. If only they could have had some of their higher picks not named Deron Williams to pan out over the years!

And now looking through the Jazz draft history I see that they got Dell Curry at #15 in 1986. Stockton, Malone, Curry with #16, #13 and #15 three years in a row. Amazing. Had no recollection of Curry ever being part of the Jazz and am very sad that he was traded for Melvin effing Turpin.
    Great points, Boston Red.

It's really easy to forget about Dell Curry's short Jazz tenure, as he was drafted as insurance against Darrell Griffith - who was recovering from injury, which cost him the entire '85 -'86 season - then stuck behind both Griffith and Hansen. Then, the awful Dantley to Detroit trade happened, which brought in an unwanted swingman Kelly Tripucka and an untalented (at that point) Center Kent Benson.

The Jazz would continue for years to search for a backup center for Eaton, and that Fall '87 deal that sent out Benson and Curry in a three-way deal with Cleveland and New Jersey) returned both Turpin and Darryl Dawkins, neither really worked out for Utah.

Anyway, if it makes Jazz fans feel better, Cleveland was just as inept in regards to Curry, as they left him unprotected to Charlotte in the '88 expansion draft, and the rest is history. Think the Price/Daugherty Cavs could have used Dell Curry after idiotically trading Ron Harper away?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

9. Likes:

Boston Red (01-22-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    As a Lakers fan who was very much against taking Ball @ #2, I am not sure the FO had much of a choice. The Lakers fanbase would have lost their minds if the Lakers did not take Ball....and as a team that was not going to be good anytime soon, Ball was an attraction to get the fans in the arena and excited. If you recall Summer League that year, it is hard to say it did not work.
    Exactly as I remember that time period. But I wonder if the Lakers wouldn't have instead taken Fultz had Ainge retained the top selection that year and taken Tatum at number 1.

Regardless, the Lakers '17 draft wasn't a total loss, as Ball was packaged for AD; Kuzma - who has outperformed a great deal of his draft class - was selected, and the Lakers robbed the Jazz blind with the Hart/Bryant for Tony Bradley deal. The fact that the Lakers failed to retain Thomas Bryant changes the calculus somewhat, but it was still a bad, but not devastating, deal for Utah.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

11. Likes:

adkindo (01-23-2021),M2 (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    26% from deep in the playoffs after consecutive seasons of 31% from deep in the playoffs.

Yep, that's a team full of deadeyes.
    Good lord. Let's not bother with what SEASONS tells us. Let's define a team by a handful of playoff games regardless of what a SEASON of data actually demonstrates. The Zee way- find players you don't like, hate on the team, then find anything- however small- to defend nothing more than a bias-driven position.

Wanna tell us how Robert Covington-- oops, I meant Seth Curry-- will lead to new-found success and a sure berth in the championship series?
    That's bizarre. I was actually not happy initially about the Curry deal; only warming up when I looked more into his effective FG%. That's a pretty important statistic. I'm sure you'll disagree as it's something Ben Simmons has been historically good at.

Want to explain how the refs continue to screw over your team... Ah, nevermind. You've already done that one.

Want to point with pride at how well Ben Simmons shoots off one leg from the corner on every other Tuesday against small forward defenders with one leg two and a half inches shorter than the other leg?

Will they go unbeaten from here on out? And if not, is it always the ref's fault, or has the opposing team also cheated?
    What a rambling mess that is. Get well soon.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Who is currently in 1st place in the East?
    That might depend on whether or not Dwight Howard keeps thinking he has a handle tonight.

Ew.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Good lord. Let's not bother with what SEASONS tells us. Let's define a team by a handful of playoff games regardless of what a SEASON of data actually demonstrates. The Zee way- find players you don't like, hate on the team, then find anything- however small- to defend nothing more than a bias-driven position.
    They've been rather small sample sizes because your team gets bounced so quickly, Steel.

Championship teams tend to play quite a few games in the post-season.

(I realize it's been about 40 years since the Sixers had to even think about a possible championship so maybe you don't know.)

The Pacers should write the Magic a nice thank you note for the gift they got tonight.

The Nets lost again. Cue the endless talk that they're better without Kyrie. BTW, that talk might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Pacers should write the Magic a nice thank you note for the gift they got tonight.
    Gordon sloppy on that possession at the end of regulation and when it’s time to be clutch Fournier shows why he’s not quite at the level of a dominant offensive player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Gordon sloppy on that possession at the end of regulation and when it’s time to be clutch Fournier shows why he’s not quite at the level of a dominant offensive player.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They've been rather small sample sizes because your team gets bounced so quickly, Steel.

Championship teams tend to play quite a few games in the post-season.

(I realize it's been about 40 years since the Sixers had to even think about a possible championship so maybe you don't know.)
    Watching you try to trash talk is like watching a cat attempting to open a doorknob. It's like...you know the effort is there, but they just don't have the tools.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This version of the Sixers looks pretty good. Helps that Embiid is playing especially dominant basketball. There's been some rumbling about Ben Simmons for Bradley Beal. If that happens, then I'd say that's clearly the top team in the East. I'd want them to add a 3-and-D to that mix. Yet even without that deal, I don't see why this couldn't be their year.
    Channeling Joe Buck? Impressive patronizing. You sound like him explaining why the Bears are a threat to his beloved Packers.
    You know full well that your Boston team dominated Philly in 2020 playoffs, and expect to do so again.
    And I see that SSD red’d the post. Hilarious.

Turn Off Ads?