Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Re: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    If you think Doncic has the handle and court vision of Young, then I disagree. Young takes a back seat to no player in the league in regards to his handle and vision with the ball.
    It's not just the highlight pass, although:

It's that Doncic doesn't turn the ball over as much. He has the ball in his hands just as much, and he consistently does more with it.

Here's an example video:
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 12-27-2020 at 11:49 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It’s too bad for Trae that he will always have this Luka comparison. Trae is a good player and is elite in some areas, but Luka is just a special talent. He’s gonna be an all timer if he stays healthy. It’s not Trae Young’s fault the Hawks front office made a horrible trade.

4. Likes:

Betterread (12-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I hate the 3-point line. Worst rule ever made.
    I don't know, I think they're going to keep it after this 42-season trial period ends. Craziest thing that ever happened with the 3-point shot is players figured out they could make it reliably. Power to the shooters.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-28-2020),Revering4Blue (12-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It’s too bad for Trae that he will always have this Luka comparison. Trae is a good player and is elite in some areas, but Luka is just a special talent. He’s gonna be an all timer if he stays healthy. It’s not Trae Young’s fault the Hawks front office made a horrible trade.
    Trae strikes me as a blast to watch, but maybe not the lead guy on a good team. He's got some World B. Free to his game, though maybe that works better in this era.

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-28-2020),Puffy (12-28-2020)

I don’t think that team makes the playoffs. It’s a below average shooting team that also isn’t very good on defense.
    I think a lot of people would agree with you....more than would not I would guess. I actually think if that team had been together for several more years now playing together, they would be a playoff roster in the West. Defense would be the issue, but maybe with Vogel and roster consistency their team defense could be average? I really like the potential offense, especially going small with Randle @ the #5 and Kuzma playing the #4. Ingram has clearly developed into a player that should be in the All Star conversation every year and there are some very solid pieces on that bench.

Also, I assume you are suggesting it would not be a playoff team as listed, but what about with a max FA? Basically as I stated, they could have still signed Lebron....but maybe Lebron does not come unless they are committed to moving guys? Maybe if Lebron did not come, PG-13 would have came to lead those guys? The reason I always take a look at what could have been is because unlike most Laker fans, I do believe you can build a contender via the draft without landing an AD, Lebron, Durant or Giannis type player. If you can just land a couple eventual All Stars with really good role players around them, patience and smart drafting is enough. Golden State won a title with that type of team....and yes Curry is better than Ingram, but I am not sure Ingram can not get to that level pound for pound.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-29-2020)

and for me who was not 100% convinced about Luka in the draft and have definitely became a believer, it is not about diminishing Luka in any way. I am just opening up a little to maybe Young gets to the level of being as you say an "all timer" also. I just think we should keep an open mind this early and see how it plays out. I think it must be taken into account that Luka has been playing around more established NBA players in a more proven organization, while Young was surrounded by almost all very young unproven talent until this year. Now Young has a little more legit proven NBA talent around him this year which should diminish some of the TO's and negative plays.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It's not just the highlight pass, although:
    Doncic is a great passer, but he is not as smooth as Young.

It's that Doncic doesn't turn the ball over as much. He has the ball in his hands just as much, and he consistently does more with it.
    there is not a huge gap in their TO rate...

Doncic
    2018-19 - 15.0% | 3.4 TO per game
    2019-20 - 14.8% | 4.3 TO per game

Young
    2018-19 - 17.6% | 3.8 TO per game
    2019-20 - 16.2% | 4.8 TO per game
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Magic come from being down 94-77 after 3 quarters to winning 120-113 with a 43-19 4th quarter.
    In each of their first 3 games, the Wizards have been outscored in the 4th quarter:

40-24
    38-29
    43-19

That seems not great.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

14. Likes:

M2 (12-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    In each of their first 3 games, the Wizards have been outscored in the 4th quarter:

40-24
    38-29
    43-19

That seems not great.
    That team has a serious gag reflex. Got to figure Scott Brooks won't last long if that continues. Coaches are supposed to prevent/fix exactly that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That just sucks for Towns. MIN fans deserve so much better.

They weren't going to make the playoffs this year anyway, so it does offer them a great opportunity to use those minutes developing support for KAT and then implement it during the 2nd Half.
    Wolves fans appreciate your sympathy, but it’s not a season ending injury. Sounds like about a week or two resting to get the swelling down.

I know they are compared because they were traded for one another, but comparing a PG to a PF is like apples and oranges. Comparing Trae with other PGs is more interesting. Like the last game where the stats and the result show Trae outplaying Jah Morant, who is much improved and may be joining the NBA elite (I didn’t see the game, just the stats).
    When Trae was drafted, people said he reminded them of Steph Curry. Well, three years later, he is much better than Steph.

Doncic is a great passer, but he is not as smooth as Young.
    Smooth? Meh. It might sell tickets. Effective wins games.

And Doncic is just as effective, all things considered.

there is not a huge gap in their TO rate...

Doncic
    2018-19 - 15.0% | 3.4 TO per game
    2019-20 - 14.8% | 4.3 TO per game

Young
    2018-19 - 17.6% | 3.8 TO per game
    2019-20 - 16.2% | 4.8 TO per game
    That works out to about 50 extra opposing team possessions over the course of each season they've played so far.

That's a bunch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    When Trae was drafted, people said he reminded them of Steph Curry. Well, three years later, he is much better than Steph.
    That is a hot take.

Spencer Dinwiddie done for the year-- torn ACL.

Spencer Dinwiddie done for the year-- torn ACL.
    Bummer. Aside from me just liking to watch him play, I also figured he's a leading candidate for someone to acquire him with the idea that he could run their team.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-28-2020),Revering4Blue (12-28-2020)

Re: Young/Doncic, it's important to remember that a big motivation for the deal from the Hawks perspective was the prospect of getting even more ping pong balls into the 2019 draft hopper. Between the Mavs 2019 lottery pick and their own pick (based on what they knew going in was going to be a rotten 2018-2019 season), the Hawks had the 3rd best odds of the #1 pick. If they end up with the #1 or #2 pick that year, they pair Collins & Young with Zion or Morant. How's that for a nucleus (with Zion) or some serious trade potential with both Young and Morant?

They were about as unlucky as possible (which is kind of a theme for the franchise) ending up with picks 8 & 10.

If you are going to build a power team, you need some luck and it strikes me that they made a calculated gamble that didn't pan out for the 2019 lottery. At the end of the day, turning 8 & 10 into D'Andre Hunter was a solid move regardless of whether Reddish ever does anything. And they've continued to put a lot of nice pieces together. Give this club some time to gel, and they will start making noise in the East.
    Last edited by 15fan; 12-28-2020 at 02:36 PM.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?