Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Re: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Sixers wisely sitting Simmons knowing that they can win this by 30 even with him out.

Simons has been upgraded to a 20-minute limit restriction.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Get out the vote, JAZZ fans!!!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Effort just beat Talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Effort just beat Talent.
    I blame Seth Curry (0 points).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He got hurt on a screen by RoCo. Well, not really a screen as RoCo was just passing by and they bumped into each other. But, point taken.

The Offensive Rebounds and Turnovers (not counting the last five minutes) were critical.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-04-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Denver had no idea what hit them in the 2nd half. Someone said something at halftime in the Lakers locker room, because they came out and just put Denver in a vice defensively.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

8. Likes:

M2 (02-05-2021),Revering4Blue (02-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Denver had no idea what hit them in the 2nd half. Someone said something at halftime in the Lakers locker room, because they came out and just put Denver in a vice defensively.
    The next gear comes out once in a while. Should see it more after the break.

Curry hasn't scored a point in the last six quarters and sat all but 21 seconds of the quarter before that because he couldn't guard anyone.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

He's my pick. I know it's not fully rational. I don't care.
    Edit/Bump

Reading is fundamental and I failed to do so. I thought you were referring to Wilt, not the Doctor.

That said, in my heart, I wholeheartedly agree. Simplistic as it may seem to those of us born in the late 60's (1970 or so in some cases), Dr. J's presence directly led to our NBA fandom. Even MJ himself will tell you in so many terms that Dr.J was himself (MJ) before himself (MJ). That alone puts Dr. J up there with anyone.

To MJ's point, and to avoid the circular GOAT arguments, perhaps we can view the subject rationally in this manner:

Mikan passed the torch to Wilt, Russell and Oscar Robertson..

That trio passed the torch to Kareem and Dr.J...

Even though their careers, but not peaks, overlapped, Dr. J and Kareem passed the torch to Magic and Bird, who subsequently passed the torch to Michael Jordan.

Years later, the torch was passed to LeBron, where it remains today.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-05-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

12. Likes:

M2 (02-05-2021),RichRed (02-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Curry hasn't scored a point in the last six quarters and sat all but 21 seconds of the quarter before that because he couldn't guard anyone.
    I've gone from hating that draft day trade to warming up to it. Now, I'm back to fully HATING it again.

Nevertheless, as opposed to Colangelo and/or Brand, I still feel better with Morey running the show.

That accounts for something.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Warriors were first team to score 35 in each quarter since Denver's 1991 heyday. That juggernaut won 20 games.

Paul Westhead was the coach.

That team had three All-Stars.

Can you name any of them without looking them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Reading is fundamental and I failed to do so. I thought you were referring to Wilt, not the Doctor.

That said, in my hearts, I wholeheartedly agree. Simplistic as it may seem to those of us born in the late 60's (1970 or so in some cases), Dr. J's presence directly led to our NBA fandom. Even MJ himself will tell you in so many terms that Dr.J was himself (MJ) before himself (MJ). That alone puts Dr. J up there with anyone.
    The Doctor was like an alien lifeform dropped onto our planet. Bill Simmons did a nice podcast on him recently - https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/17...rian-koppelman. He also lived near me for a brief time, so my entire world revolved around Dr. J sightings.

Quick note on Wilt, the Wilt vs. Russell argument highlights, IMO, the fundamental difference between Philly and Boston. Wilt wanted to show he was the best and didn't think the scoreboard was the ultimate arbiter of that decision. He wanted to do what other guys couldn't do and take his game to heights others couldn't approach. Wilt wanted to perform. He wanted you to walk away from the game convinced you had just seen the best player ever. You might not remember the score or even who won or lost the game, but you damn sure were going to remember Wilt. It's a very Philly attitude - I know I'm the best and you know I'm the best, argument settled. It's highly metaphysical. Kind of a like a known universal truth, a Platonic ideal.

Russell was far more ruthless. He didn't care if you were better, he just wanted to win. And that's hard-wired into Boston's DNA. It managed to be passed on from the Puritans to the Catholics. It's why Russell, Tom Brady and Bobby Orr get their names spoken in hushed tones. They won. It's also why Boston never has fully embraced Ted Williams. Maybe he was the best in his era, but Bostonians craved Joe DiMaggio. Russell was the ultimate outcomes-based player in a city obsessed with the bottom line. Rings and banners have become the majoritarian measuring sticks in sports, but I'll always be a mark for the guy who makes your jaw drop.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Warriors were first team to score 35 in each quarter since Denver's 1991 heyday. That juggernaut won 20 games.

English, Fat and the Mad Bomber.

Edit: And I've got that wrong, but didn't Meatloaf say 1 out of 3 ain't good but it's not nothing?
    Last edited by M2; 02-05-2021 at 12:29 PM.

18. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-05-2021),Revering4Blue (02-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

If you're referring to past or future All-Stars, I can only come up with two.

Michael Adams and Walter Davis, who was traded to Portland mid-season. IIRC, it was a three team deal in which Drazen Petrovic wound up in New Jersey.

I do recall Orlando Woolridge and Reggie Williams were both lighting it up for that team. But I'm certain that neither were ever All-Stars. And of course, that was the season before Mutombo was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    If you're referring to past or future All-Stars, I can only come up with two.

Michael Adams and Walter Davis, who was traded to Portland mid-season. IIRC, it was a three team deal in which Drazen Petrovic wound up in New Jersey.

I do recall Orlando Woolridge and Reggie Williams were both lighting it up for that team. But I'm certain that neither were ever All-Stars. And of course, that was the season before Mutombo was drafted.
    You got two.

That's one more than me. (I had Michael Adams, but skipped over Walter Davis completely. Not even sure I remember Davis as a Nugget.

Turn Off Ads?